Jets trade up to 3

BJets512

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

That has nothing IMO to do with the skill st though. It’s the offense. For instance Darnold didn’t even rush for 100yds this season yet IMO he’s more athletic than Baker who ran for 5 times the yards he did. It’s a system thing. USC runs a more pro style offense and OU is not even close to that. Therefor bigger lanes for Mayfield to throw AND run. You look at the skill set not the numbers. I used Sanchez bc they are very close in size (6’2” and shorter) athletic enough, but limited and hey look similar in a uniform.

But it does have to do with skill set. That’s what you compare players through.

7 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

But it does have to do with skill set. That’s what you compare players through.

Mayfield gets compared to Wilson who is twice as athletic as him. So comparisons don’t always tell the whole story.

4 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Yes I agree the argument about losing talent can be applied to both Darnold and Allen. I just think Allen played against poor competition and should have been able to shine. I love Allen's potential but I don't believe he can scan a field. When you watch his passes they never really hit the receiver in stride, gives me the impression that he waits until he sees them open and then just riffles the throw as opposed to knowing the player is about to be open. I also feel like half of Allen's attempts were 50/50 balls, I'm not sure that translates well.

Mechanics can be refined IMO but once the blitz comes the poor mechanics will come back. I don't mind Allen, he's just 4th on my list of QBs I want. 

I think there is still a difference here as USC normally is on par or above their competition with talent even when losing talent. Allen didnt have that luxury based on what ive seen.

There are definitely enough examples of allen hitting his WRs in stride, but I do think when its a more crucial situation he tends to want to see them open before rifling the throw. But its not like hes never done it.

Allen did take a lotta iffy shots tho at times

43 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

All the beat writers seems to be leaning towards Rosen and Mayfield which is interesting.  Haven't seen too many linking Allen lately which is surprising, but hopefully they're right on this one.

prob because they think allen is going top 2

29 minutes ago, KBS756 said:

I think there is still a difference here as USC normally is on par or above their competition with talent even when losing talent. Allen didnt have that luxury based on what ive seen.

There are definitely enough examples of allen hitting his WRs in stride, but I do think when its a more crucial situation he tends to want to see them open before rifling the throw. But its not like hes never done it.

Allen did take a lotta iffy shots tho at times

Yea. It's more of a consistency issue with Allen. He can make the necessary throws. But he tends to get less accurate as he goes through his progression. So while he has shown improvement in accuracy in the offseason, he still needs to show he can do that after his first read and when under pressure.  

He won't have success in this Jets offense if he doesn't trust his eyes/reads and doesn't get the ball out on time. It's definitely a risk for a team like the Jets to get a player like Allen. I think Allen would be best in Cleveland. But that's just my thought. 

8 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Yea. It's more of a consistency issue with Allen. He can make the necessary throws. But he tends to get less accurate as he goes through his progression. So while he has shown improvement in accuracy in the offseason, he still needs to show he can do that after his first read and when under pressure.  

He won't have success in this Jets offense if he doesn't trust his eyes/reads and doesn't get the ball out on time. It's definitely a risk for a team like the Jets to get a player like Allen. I think Allen would be best in Cleveland. But that's just my thought. 

I agree.  Cleveland will run a downfield, vertical attack with Haley.  You want a big armed QB with athleticism when plays don't develop.  Darnold also fits that mold (although his arm strength is likely just above average)e, but I think Allen makes the most sense.

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

I agree.  Cleveland will run a downfield, vertical attack with Haley.  You want a big armed QB with athleticism when plays don't develop.  Darnold also fits that mold (although his arm strength is likely just above average)e, but I think Allen makes the most sense.

I think Darnold works for them as well. I posted an article from mark schoefield a couple of pages down about QB fits. He has Darnold as the best fit for Cleveland. That'll definitely work but Allen I think is better for them. Plus he can better handle the elements in the winter. They'll get mocked by fans and the media if they go Allen with the first pick. But I think he'll prove them wrong in a year or two. He doesn't have to be this super accurate QB to excel. As long as you put him in the right situation, he'll be fine. Get him attacking defenses downfield, rolling out, throwing on the run and all that stuff. 

Allen and Mayfield have been pounded by the media and fans. I'm just to the point where I am pulling for the both of them to prove everyone wrong.

Hypothetical question.  Lets say Mo Hurst has dropped into the early to mid 2nd round because of teams still being slightly concerned with his heart problems that came up at the combine.... Would you guys want to trade up and snag him?  If so what would you give up?

I would jump at the opportunity.  Kid is a top 10 talent who might drop due to medical red flags.  I'd give up our 3rd 4th and something next year.  I think he is a potential superstar and those aren't in the mid rounds very often.

10 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Hypothetical question.  Lets say Mo Hurst has dropped into the early to mid 2nd round because of teams still being slightly concerned with his heart problems that came up at the combine.... Would you guys want to trade up and snag him?  If so what would you give up?

I would jump at the opportunity.  Kid is a top 10 talent who might drop due to medical red flags.  I'd give up our 3rd 4th and something next year.  I think he is a potential superstar and those aren't in the mid rounds very often.

Sorry, but I would not move up for him. The price would be too high for a guy with medical concerns that are career threatening. He will be there in the 3rd if we want him but i think he goes really late i.e 6 or 7 and most likely undrafted because of the medical condition. Just to high of a risk in my book. 

50 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I don’t think that’s a position of need big enough for us to trade up like that for. For an edge rusher we like? Maybe.

Archived