Browns sign QB Drew Stanton

zelbell

7 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

He definitely should be ready and definitely should look the part. This isn't a 4th round pick. This is #1 overall in a strong QB class. If Stanton is ever ahead of the rookie on the depth chart it better just be because of a rookie bias. The rookie should be many times better in an actual game... out of the gate.

This.

If the rookie isn’t better than a guy who completed 49% of his passes last year throwing to Fitz in Arians’ offense, we’re in deep ish.

3 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

By "look the part" I dont  mean look better than Stanton.  He shouldnt just automatically play just because he is better than Stanton.  

Sure he should. Depth charts should be ordered in exactly that way.

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Who in the holy hell is arguing otherwise?

Why?  If you think the reason our QB’s have been awful is they played too soon, I disagree.  Id argue we drafted awful QB’s, save perhaps last year when we started a guy no one thought should play immediately, hence his draft position.

When did I ever hint at anything of the kind?  All I’ve said is under no circumstances should the number one overall pick be holding a clipboard for a player like Stanton... or Kessler.....or anyone on this roster not named Tyrod Taylor regardless of the circumstances.

If Taylor tears his ACL in preseason, you want the rookie starting week 1??  Ok then

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This.

If the rookie isn’t better than a guy who completed 49% of his passes last year throwing to Fitz in Arians’ offense, we’re in deep ish.

Yeah he wasn't far off from his career completion percentage either. I think we all know he isn't good though. Decent 3rd stringer I suppose, If he offers something besides playing QB.

Just now, duke2056 said:

If Taylor tears his ACL in preseason, you want the rookie starting week 1??  Ok then

Wentz did it. Russell Wilson did it (without an injury). Winston did it. Derek Carr did it. Just because Kizer did it and it didn't work doesn't make it a bad idea. Quinn had to wait. Couch had to wait. McCoy had to wait. Kessler had to wait. It didn't work out for them.

Just now, duke2056 said:

Sure? Yes.

Do you need the list of players who’ve done just that and been just fine again? It’s on the last page iirc. It’s not a wild or crazy concept.

Id love nothing more than the rookie getting to sit behind a proven starter all season and being him along slowly, but if a proven starter isn’t an option, I’ll roll with the rookie.  

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Having them on the roster is great.... but that’s not remotely what we were discussing.

We're discussing how you think Stanton, even if he is ahead of the rookie on game day early in the season, would have ANYTHING to do with hindering the rookie in camp or in practice during the year.  

Re-read the thread if you need a reminder of what we are arguing.  If Taylor were to get hurt week 2 in the 3rd quarter, Stanton is probably coming in.  However, Stanton is not going to be taking away any mid week reps from the rookie any more than any other #3 QB would have taken. 

It's already been explained by a few people now than just cause Stanton would come in (1st half of the year) if Taylor were to get hurt, that does not mean Stanton is taking all the reps over the rookie.  

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah he wasn't far off from his career completion percentage either. I think we all know he isn't good though. Decent 3rd stringer I suppose, If he offers something besides playing QB.

I think he’s a professional in the sense he knows his job is to prepare Tyrod to play on Sundays and be a bridge between the coaching staff and the rookie and help his development.  That’s not a job everyone can or is willing to do. Because of that I like the signing. 

Just now, duke2056 said:

We're discussing how you think Stanton, even if he is ahead of the rookie on game day early in the season, would have ANYTHING to do with hindering the rookie in camp or in practice during the year.  

Nope, not during camp, during the season when reps are EXTRMELY limited for non-starting QB’s.

Just now, duke2056 said:

Re-read the thread if you need a reminder of what we are arguing.  If Taylor were to get hurt week 2 in the 3rd quarter, Stanton is probably coming in. 

Ans I think that’s an awful decision.  

Just now, duke2056 said:

However, Stanton is not going to be taking away any mid week reps from the rookie any more than any other #3 QB would have taken. 

Why would he not if he has to be ready to play on Sunday? Any reps he’s taking from a rookie after camp is a waste imo.

Just now, duke2056 said:

It's already been explained by a few people now than just cause Stanton would come in (1st half of the year) if Taylor were to get hurt, that does not mean Stanton is taking all the reps over the rookie.  

See above.

3 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Re-read the thread if you need a reminder of what we are arguing.  If Taylor were to get hurt week 2 in the 3rd quarter, Stanton is probably coming in.  However, Stanton is not going to be taking away any mid week reps from the rookie any more than any other #3 QB would have taken. 

I don't think anyone is worried about reps. It's the depth chart, you stating that the rookie can't play if Taylor gets hurt because he won't be ready even if he would perform better than Stanton makes no sense why you wouldn't start the better player.

But no, no one thinks Stanton is hurting the rookie's reps.Well he could be hurting his game reps, which are the most important reps once the season begins.

13 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't think anyone is worried about reps. It's the depth chart, you stating that the rookie can't play if Taylor gets hurt because he won't be ready even if he would perform better than Stanton makes no sense why you wouldn't start the better player.

But no, no one thinks Stanton is hurting the rookie's reps.Well he could be hurting his game reps, which are the most important reps once the season begins.

I dont mind if he hurts the rookie's game reps in the first few weeks of the year.  

11 hours ago, buno67 said:

Is Stanton going to need all the reps?

He is an established vet that prolly won’t need a lot of reps because if he is going in, Tyrod is hurt and the offense will struggle. 

They could easily plan it that Darnold gets the development he needs. Not like they will make him the 3rd string QB and not touch him. He isn’t going to be your typical 3rd string QB.

Good observations.

11 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Unless Tyrod gets hurt the first month of the season, why would we be playing Stanton though?

If the guy we draft at 1 needs to be third string behind Tyrod Taylor and Drew effin Stanton, we drafted the wrong dude.

Somehow I do not think that you and Buno are talking about the same thing.

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Just change the game plan, focus on the run, throws he’s comfortable with etc.. 

For a few snaps or a series, sure, who cares.

Even if he’s out a few weeks, I’d rather Darnold get the experience to build upon provided he’s ready. 

Keep in mind, we aren’t sitting a QB just to develop them, they want a vet to try to win games NOW. Tyrod is almost assuredly better and more capable of winning games than a rookie.  Stanton?  I don’t know about that.

Still with Stanton's experience you can still have an offense that isnt fully handicapped. we have no idea how well Darnold will pick up Haley's offense. They might be able to still win having an established vet coming in than a rookie. 

You might want to get Darnold the experience but the Browns might want to win those games. If its early on in the year, Stanton might be the better option because of his experience. Stanton is 11-6 in his career as a starter. If its early on, or you need a spot starter, Stanton is more capable of winning games. If its towards the end of the year, Darnold might or should at least passed him, but who knows.

Archived