Browns sign QB Drew Stanton

zelbell

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

I do think signing Stanton could indicate a concentration to not play a rookie a full season. At least for the coaching staff (not that I care what they think). Hue CONSTANTLY talks about the team’s lack of success with rookie QBs the past two years. Dude doesn’t want to play a rookie. The common denominator to me is the HC as much as QB. I wonder if they are mostly settled on Darnold though. A guy like Mayfield or Rosen would seem more ready to play day 1. I can see Stanton merely as a great locker/QB room guy and an early season guy if Tyrod suffers a bad injury. For instance, Tyrod goes down week 1, I don’t think they want Darnold playing a full year. If they go with a new guy 10 weeks in though, I don’t see how it’s likely not the rookie.

If Hue Jackson believes it’s best to play Drew Stanton over a number one overall pick, I feel that only confirms my stance tbh.

About both Hue and this discussion btw.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If Hue Jackson believes it’s best to play Drew Stanton over a number one overall pick, I feel that only confirms my stance tbh.

Yeah, this won't be a 2nd round pick that isn't a great prospect this is at worst a top 10 QB prospect of the last 10 years, unless we get Allen.

20 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah, this won't be a 2nd round pick that isn't a great prospect this is at worst a top 10 QB prospect of the last 10 years, unless we get Allen.

Then it is a top 11 QB prospect of the last 10 years?  

Just putting a positive spin on what may very well happen.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

But you stance is pointless, isn’t? All signs are pointing to the browns that they don’t want to play a rookie QB at all next year. You have been saying if the rookie can’t play or even beat out Stanton for the #2 QB spot then the QB isn’t worth it. So are you saying it’s pointless to draft a QB #1 overall than? Because it seems like they are going to cement the rookie to the bench. So no matter who the QB is they won’t leave being QB3 unless of injury 

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

But you stance is pointless, isn’t?

No more than any other on an internet forum buno.

All signs are pointing to the browns that they don’t want to play a rookie QB at all next year.

What signs? Simply signing Stanton says that?  Dude's been on the roster 72 hours.

You have been saying if the rookie can’t play or even beat out Stanton for the #2 QB spot then the QB isn’t worth it.

Yes.

So are you saying it’s pointless to draft a QB #1 overall than?

How the hell did you arrive at this?  

Because it seems like they are going to cement the rookie to the bench.

In this situation there’s no “beating out”, there’d be no competition.

So no matter who the QB is they won’t leave being QB3 unless of injury 

Perhaps, and, as I stated, that would be dumb.

50 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Perhaps, and, as I stated, that would be dumb.

It would be. Like getting a new 4WD but keeping it parked in the garage all winter, even if your Honda Accord breaks down you rely on your old rear wheel drive Chevy Nova to get you through the foot of snow. Can't risk what could happen to the 4WD even though the results should be a lot better than the other options.

I put the anal in analogy.

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

It would be. Like getting a new 4WD but keeping it parked in the garage all winter, even if your Honda Accord breaks down you rely on your old rear wheel drive Chevy Nova to get you through the foot of snow. Can't risk what could happen to the 4WD even though the results should be a lot better than the other options.

I put the anal in analogy.

more apt analogy is that you were building your new 4wd and it wasnt quite done for the first snow storm- say the brakes were a little shoddy and you needed to perfect them, so instead you relied on your old rear wheel drive until you were done with your new 4wd.

15 minutes ago, mistakey said:

more apt analogy is that you were building your new 4wd and it wasnt quite done for the first snow storm- say the brakes were a little shoddy and you needed to perfect them, so instead you relied on your old rear wheel drive until you were done with your new 4wd.

This implies a lack of safety (ie something awful is likely to happen). 

Rookies start every year and many do just fine. Most do significantly better than anything Stanton has ever done.

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This implies a lack of safety (ie something awful is likely to happen). 

Rookies start every year and many do just fine. Most do significantly better than anything Stanton has ever done.

And some completely regress to their bad habits in college when thrust into action too soon.

you just saw deshone kizer do this.

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

And some completely regress to their bad habits in college when thrust into action too soon.

you just saw deshone kizer do this.

Is that who we’re drafting at 1 though? Kizer was a raw prospect who was almost universally viewed as someone who needed a year or multiple years of development.

I mean, there’s a reason he went 52 overall.

We can both go back and forth all day with examples of successes and failures, but it’s crazy to me how many people seem to think having the number 1 overall pick (in a strong QB class) as our 2nd option is absurd or a recipe for disaster.

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Is that who we’re drafting at 1 though? Kizer was a raw prospect who was almost universally viewed as someone who needed a year or multiple years of development.

I mean, there’s a reason he went 52 overall.

We can both go back and forth all day with examples of successes and failures, but it’s crazy to me how many people seem to think having the number 1 overall pick (in a strong QB class) as our 2nd option is absurd or a recipe for disaster.

Allen was a raw prospect who was almost universally viewed as someone who needed a year or multiple years of development

is a statement that can be made

if allen is the pick... this makes sense.

Just now, mistakey said:

Allen was a raw prospect who was almost universally viewed as someone who needed a year or multiple years of development

is a statement that can be made

if allen is the pick... this makes sense.

I agree with that.

I also don’t know if sitting him will matter much, as he’s not shown really at any point to be good. 

6 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Winning the Super Bowl is the objective of every NFL franchise.

So that’s your expectation this year, eh? Let me go ahead and save you 3 hours every Sunday this fall and let you know that won’t be happening for the Browns.

Speaking of winning Super Bowls, who are these Super Bowl winning QB’s who sat behind a turd comparable to Stanton or whatever other QB you mentioned signing off the shtheap of free agent QB’s?

Archived