Browns sign QB Drew Stanton

zelbell

Cody Kessler,

Feel free to just leave your USC gear in your locker on the way out of Berea.

Kevin Hogan,

You're getting transferred to another Stalag.

(If you're under 40, you probably don't get that reference.)  I kinda feel bad for you.

Mr. Dorsey, you are doing your level best to ensure that our new QB is going to learn by watching.  Thanks.

This might be my favorite signing 

make for damn sure Darnold doesn’t play and Stanton can focus on the mentoring while Tyrod can focus on starting 

Stanton will be the glue to our QB room

plus he’s been in Arizona with Carson Palmer brother of Jordan Palmer Darnolds’s QB mentor 

this will all seamlessly tie in together 

9 minutes ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

I' kinda confused on why we would do this signing? I guess Kessler and Hogan are gone 

As brownie man says, it's primarily to provide a true veteran understanding and mentor to the rookie. Tyrol Taylor will be busy playing the games, as will the coaches trying to formulate plans to win them.

The third QB ideally its the guy who can guide the rookie through the early learning process. He hopefully will not have to play, but another added bonus is that the rookie will now definitely not be forced onto the field in the case of an injury.

When we traded Kizer it was pretty obvious they didn’t want two young QB’s on the roster, so a signing like this was inevitable.

He shouldn’t really play though unless Tyrod goes down week 1.  If it’s later in the season Darnold should get the reps moving forward.

Good move. It means that in all likelihood their rookie QB doesn't see the field all year (Darnold hopefully), they'll let Tyrod walk after this year into free agency, and next year hopefully Darnold will be their starter and Stanton will be their back-up.

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

He is objectively worse at throwing the ball than Cody Kessler.

11 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Locker room guy. That’s about it. 

These are both true. Stanton is the vet mentor. That's it, and that's okay.

10 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Locker room guy. That’s about it. 

Stanton has played behind

Number 1 overall pick Matthew Stafford

Number 1 overall pick Andrew Luck

Number 1 overall pick Carson Palmer brother of Jordan Palmer

I think this locker room guy is going to be devoted to relating to and guiding Darnold

very happy with this signing definitely I believe the best number 3 QB we could get

Archived