Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Jesus.  Six 2nds?  Those first round swaps in 2028 and 2030 might be valuable.  The Suns will be pretty old by then and the Wizards might be up and coming. 

That's what I am thinking/hoping. You just pray at least one turns into something big for you. And then maybe one or two of the 2nds turn into a gem or very solid role players.

Do I have this right? We turned Beal into:

Jordan Poole
Landry Shamet
Ryan Rollins
a protected 2030 first from GSW (someone mentioned Top 20 protected, no idea if it's dead if it doesn't convey)
seven 2nd rounders
four 1st round pick swap opportunities in 2024, 2026, 2028 and 2030.

Um, that ain't bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Jordan Poole
Landry Shamet
Ryan Rollins
a protected 2030 first from GSW (someone mentioned Top 20 protected, no idea if it's dead if it doesn't convey)
seven 2nd rounders

Um, that ain't bad.

When you take into account the trainwreck contract, it’s definitely not bad at all. 

All of this is disappointing, but only in the sense that we’re measuring the return against what it could/should have been if Beal was traded when he should have been. Waiting too long put them in a position where a return like this is actually a very good result under the circumstances — it’s just disappointing through the wider lens of what we should have been able to get.

The same is really true with Porzingis (minimal return) and Kuzma (no return). Both should have been traded at the deadline. Which isn’t hindsight…I was very much bitching about it at the time. They kept those guys around for absolutely nothing. 

• Like 2

You can see they're opening the window 4-6 years down the line. 

Keep in mind that the NYK own a protected first round pick with us over the next three years (four?) I believe. So we'll WANT TO tank so we don't give up next year's (or the year or two after) pick to them. 

I'd fully expect 3 years of tanking. 

From there, the pick swaps become HUGE. The Suns will be awful in 4-5 years. 

Poole is awesome because he's going to be our volume shooter. He'll put up 25+ PPG and you may be able to flip him. 

Quite honestly, this is a fun, young team on paper. It's a team you can root for that simply doesn't have enough. 

This new FO has done a great job ripping it down to the frame. So sad we didn't do this 1-2 years ago. Still, I'm energized.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Jordan Poole
Landry Shamet
Ryan Rollins
seven 2nd rounders

Um, that ain't bad.

Not too shabby 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

You can see they're opening the window 4-6 years down the line. 

Keep in mind that the NYK own a protected first round pick with us over the next three years (four?) I believe. So we'll WANT TO tank so we don't give up next year's (or the year or two after) pick to them. 

I'd fully expect 3 years of tanking. 

From there, the pick swaps become HUGE. The Suns will be awful in 4-5 years. 

Poole is awesome because he's going to be our volume shooter. He'll put up 25+ PPG and you may be able to flip him. 

Quite honestly, this is a fun, young team on paper. It's a team you can root for that simply doesn't have enough. 

This new FO has done a great job ripping it down to the frame. So sad we didn't do this 1-2 years ago. Still, I'm energized.

At some point that 1st turns into a 2nd, I thought it was 2025 but not sure. I don't think we'll have to worry about giving up a 1st if that the case bc the next 3 drafts we should be picking in the lottery.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

At some point that 1st turns into a 2nd, I thought it was 2025 but not sure. I don't think we'll have to worry about giving up a 1st if that the case bc the next 3 drafts we should be picking in the lottery.

2026. So you need three years of tanking. Or else you lose that 1st rounder. 

This is gonna take four years before this FO actually looks to win IMO. I mean, if we nail a few first-rounders, it could happen faster and you don't worry about that pick... because you'll have a few pick swaps coming up. I guess that's a good problem to have. 

I just love watching the mechanics of a good rebuild. Taking future (waaaaaay out) draft assets from good teams now (bad teams later) is painful. But in five years, we'll have some excellent options.