Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

I wake up today optimistic. Not saying this is going to be a good team or even competitive. They're young, but there's a ton of upside for alot of folks. Got a couple of 3 point shooters and from what I've seen of Coubilaly I'm excited.

• Like 2

My overall thoughts on yesterday/last night:

All those moves gave us an opportunity to do what we wanted tonight and the future. Whether it works out, we will see, but at least it seemed like there was a plan of action.

Bilal Coulibaly - B- for the pick, C+ with the trade to do it
I really wanted Black first and foremost but that didn't happen. There were probably two other guys I would have taken instead of Couli, but I was pretty high on getting him. He's close to the youngest player in the draft, and raw as can be, but that's fine. There's a lot to like and hope for with him. He's been rapidly getting better. I think someone mentioned he's one of those guys that's "a year away from being a year away". No problem there, this team is a couple years away from being a year away. Take your time with him and coach him. I doubt he plays many minutes at all this year. Hell, he might not leave the Go-Go until late. He's probably already a good defensive force, and we just need to develop some offense for him. This has a low floor/medium to high ceiling feel to it, but that's the type of risk we need to take. For the record, it sounds like we did the trade because both Utah at #9 and OKC at #12 were looking to move up to get him.

Tristan Vukcevic - A-
This name was on my radar for the second round a bunch because a lot of guys liked him as a potential guy with huge upswing for then. I know we lol at us taking Euro players, but our history was blowing it on first rounders. This is one of those 2nd round darts that I kept mentioning. Again, this is an incredibly young player who will need years to develop, and that's just fine. Ironically, he seems to be a little of the opposite of Couli - an already refined player on offense so young, with a rough outlook on his defense. He's an incredible shooter. Ideally he can fill out his frame some, as a move to PF might be more ideal. I was hoping we could stash him overseas for a year at least, but it sounds like that isn't happening. I think this was one of the more solid picks by teams in the 2nd round, and I am glad it was us. He was my top pick for that spot based on how it unfolded. I would have been happy with him or G Jackson.

Patrick Baldwin, Jr. - trade from GSW - B-
Nothing wrong with this, as I think it's a win/win for both teams as a throw in addition for the Paul trade. GSW got a guy at 57 that probably should have gone a lot higher. The Wizards get a guy to develop that can play now, and be a shooter for our 2nd unit. We can't have EVERYONE be years away from developing lol.

All in all, a solid first night for Will Dawkins and company. I am excited to see what's next.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TOUCAN said:

I wake up today optimistic. Not saying this is going to be a good team or even competitive. They're young, but there's a ton of upside for alot of folks. Got a couple of 3 point shooters and from what I've seen of Coubilaly I'm excited.

100%, the backup PG & PF we got from GS are also intriguing players and could develop into good role players/backups for us. Baldwin the PF has a sweet stroke, I wish would could instil that in Deni.

1 hour ago, TOUCAN said:

Next step is likely losing Kuzma via FA or sign and trade, right? Hopefully sign and trade

I wish Kuz would do a sign & trade but he has no reason to do that bc he’ll be an unrestricted FA.

It’d be great to do a sign and trade w/ Dallas, one of the LA teams, Sac or Portland bc Kuz wants to go back out West but he doesn't have to do that bc he's an unrestricted FA.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I wish Kuz would do a sign & trade but he has no reason to do that bc he’ll be an unrestricted FA.

It’d be great to do a sign and trade w/ Dallas, one of the LA teams, Sac or Portland bc Kuz wants to go back out West but he doesn't have to do that bc he's an unrestricted FA.

The only help is that a team that he wants to go to and wants him needs some cap clearance (LAL, Cleveland, etc.) Cleveland could probably give us Okoro in the deal for it... Utah could probably figure it out regardless, but Dallas could get us Reggie Bullock or Kleber and a kicker

Sadly, I don't see us beating the Pacers, Spurs or Thunder teams. They have so much talented youth that they've been developing for a few years together that we just don't have yet but, I hope I'm wrong. Wemby vs Couli should be cool though!

Edited by turtle28

On 6/23/2023 at 11:22 AM, MikeT14 said:

The only help is that a team that he wants to go to and wants him needs some cap clearance (LAL, Cleveland, etc.) Cleveland could probably give us Okoro in the deal for it... Utah could probably figure it out regardless, but Dallas could get us Reggie Bullock or Kleber and a kicker

Well I want nothing to do with Okoro. I hated him as a prospect a few years ago bc he couldn't shoot, yeah his D is nice but you can't be a 3 & D wing if you can't hit the broad side of a barn. 

I like the Dallas option but I’d hope we’d get a pick but maybe thats too much to ask.

I guess he has no interest in Sacramento or Portland? I'd love to trade him there & get Davion Mitchell & Trey Lyles from Sac or Simons from Portland now that they drafted Scoot.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Not a big fan of the pick. He has exciting athletic ability but isn’t a scorer and can’t shoot. The team has plenty of time to develop him but they do not hit on euroballers ever and here we go again. 

I feel the same way, he’s going to take a few years to develop & we haven't had success in doing that although, that was under Ernie & Randy Wittman who wanted nothing to do with developing young players.

I’m hoping Couli develops but if I'm being honest I'm thinking we just drafted another Deni. He’ll probably turn out to be OK, but not a franchise player.

I wanted Jarace Walker, I'm bummed we traded him to Indy. I saw him play at Houston and thought he’d be a guy who could help us out a lot, not only long term but immediately. I think Walker is a Julius Randle type player.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1