Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

32 minutes ago, Woz said:

Better distribution in the other set, but I would point out of these two lists, it is 7 guards, 3 forwards, and 2 centers. Kind of the opposite ratio to what they actually need.

Definitely. I’m disappointed that so far about 5 prospects who play PF/C that could be available for the Wizards at 15 have not been worked out yet.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

They have no need of guards. Waste of time.

Bucknell and BC Igokea ... kind of trawling the bottom of the barrel there.

They don’t have a back up SG they can rely on. If you’re taking BPA and not just on need then Zahire Smith from Texas Tech is worth the pick. He’s a straight up athletic freak at SG. He can jump out of the building, plays good D and is a solid all around offensive player. I posted some videos of him before, he’s nice!

Edited by turtle28

Just now, turtle28 said:

They don’t have a back up SG they can rely on. If you’re taking BPA and not just on need then Zahire Smith from Texas Tech is worth the pick. He’s a straight up athletic freak at SG. He can jump out of the building, plays good D and is a solid all around offensive player. I posted some videos of him before, he’s nice!

Unless you

1. expect him to be available at 44,
  2. don't expect them to trade away/sell 44, or
  3. move around to get another pick between 15 and 44

then the only scenario where they get Zahire Smith is using 15 on him, and that means ignoring the much greater need in the front court.

Not saying he isn't good, but he isn't what the Wizards need. Which is why they're working him out. 9_9:D

14 minutes ago, Woz said:

Unless you

1. expect him to be available at 44,
  2. don't expect them to trade away/sell 44, or
  3. move around to get another pick between 15 and 44

then the only scenario where they get Zahire Smith is using 15 on him, and that means ignoring the much greater need in the front court.

Not saying he isn't good, but he isn't what the Wizards need. Which is why they're working him out. 9_9:D

No way Smith is available at 44, he’s almost entrenched as a top 20 prospect.

And, they do need a back up SG. It isn’t their greatest need, but it is a need.

C is their greatest need - or back up PF if Scott is gone - and I’d take a C over Smith and some of the other guards, if they good ones are still available. 

I don’t see the point in reaching for a C though by 10 spots just bc a C is a greeter need though.

And, it’s harder to trade down in the NBA draft then it is in the NFL draft. 

Edited by turtle28

Just now, turtle28 said:

No way Smith is available at 44, he’s almost entrenched as a top 20 prospect.

And, they do need a back up SG. It isn’t their greatest need, but it is a need.

C is their greatest need - or back up PF if Scott is gone - and I’d take a C over Smith and some of the other guards, if they good ones are still available. 

I don’t see the point in reaching for a C though by 10 spots just bc Ac is a greeter need and it’s harder to trade down in the NBA draft then it is in the NFL draft. 

Mike Scott (30 at start of season, if he returns), Markieff Morris (29), and Jason Smith (32; I assume he'll pick up his option) will all be free agents the after this season.

Unless the first fourteen picks happen to be all power forwards and centers, taking a non-big man would be stupid.

Right now for the 2019-2020 season, the Wizards have under contract

• PG: John Wall
  • SG: Bradley Beal, Tomas Satoransky (RFA, I assume they'll option him)
  • SF: Otto Porter, Kelly Oubre (RFA, I'll assume they'll option him)
  • PF: <NO ONE>
  • C: Ian Mahinmi

Now, if you want to treat Sato as the backup PG instead, so be it. Still, he can cover either position.

But look at that front court. That's one year from where they sit today. Keep in mind that per Spotrac without the UFA tenders, they've allocated ~$107.7M to four players. They would have another ~$60M in cap holds for Gortat, Morris, Smith, Oubre, and Satoransky. Further more, stealing from Spotrac:

Since the Wizards are currently over the league salary cap, these cap holds do not count against their Total Cap figure. Denouncing these cap holds will NOT afford the team any new cap space.

So, free agency for the next two years will be filling out the roster with cheap one to two year contracts and draft picks.

That said, spending a first round pick on a backup guard and ignoring the massive talent hole in the front court would be #SoWizards.

10 minutes ago, Woz said:

Mike Scott (30 at start of season, if he returns), Markieff Morris (29), and Jason Smith (32; I assume he'll pick up his option) will all be free agents the after this season.

Unless the first fourteen picks happen to be all power forwards and centers, taking a non-big man would be stupid.

Right now for the 2019-2020 season, the Wizards have under contract

• PG: John Wall
  • SG: Bradley Beal, Tomas Satoransky (RFA, I assume they'll option him)
  • SF: Otto Porter, Kelly Oubre (RFA, I'll assume they'll option him)
  • PF: <NO ONE>
  • C: Ian Mahinmi

Now, if you want to treat Sato as the backup PG instead, so be it. Still, he can cover either position.

But look at that front court. That's one year from where they sit today. Keep in mind that per Spotrac without the UFA tenders, they've allocated ~$107.7M to four players. They would have another ~$60M in cap holds for Gortat, Morris, Smith, Oubre, and Satoransky. Further more, stealing from Spotrac:

So, free agency for the next two years will be filling out the roster with cheap one to two year contracts and draft picks.

That said, spending a first round pick on a backup guard and ignoring the massive talent hole in the front court would be #SoWizards.

Arguing that because they have Sato as a back up for both guard spots so the problem is solved, isn’t a strong argument and the points you made about the forwards fit for him too, he’s not signed long term either. 

Just now, turtle28 said:

Arguing that because they have Sato as a back up for both guard spots so the problem is solved, isn’t a strong argument and the points you made about the forwards fit for him too, he’s not signed long term either. 

Yes, but he's a swing backup guard and here at least two years. They've got Mahinmi representing the entirety of the depth chart in the front court after this season. So they have nothing after this season.

But go wish for that guard. #SoWizards

39 minutes ago, Woz said:

Yes, but he's a swing backup guard and here at least two years. They've got Mahinmi representing the entirety of the depth chart in the front court after this season. So they have nothing after this season.

But go wish for that guard. #SoWizards

Im not wishing for a guard. I’ve been shouting they’ve needed to upgrade the C position for two or three years. 

I’m merely saying that you take the BPA, especially when you only play 8 to 10 players per game. The wizards need depth and talent all over off the bench st the moment everywhere except SF.

Edited by turtle28

Just now, turtle28 said:

Im not wishing for a guard. I’ve been shouting they’ve needed to upgrade the C position for two or three years. 

I’m merely staying that you take the BPA, especially when you only play 8 to 10 players per game.

And I get that, but at least make it a backup point guard. Sato can play the 2 just fine.

Also, this may be one of those times that they have to reach because they have literally nothing beyond Morris (and I would be shocked if he re-signs here).

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

And I get that, but at least make it a backup point guard. Sato can play the 2 just fine.

Also, this may be one of those times that they have to reach because they have literally nothing beyond Morris (and I would be shocked if he re-signs here).

This makes so sense. Sato is a better PG than wing (SG or SF) and Smith is a better prospect than many of the PGs who are available in the teens. Again, take the BPA.

Reaching is stupid, period. Especially in the NBA draft when players drafted after the lottery often times don’t even become starters and players in the 20s & 30s often times don’t stick on NBA rosters long term.

So, you’re basically arguing to just take a guy because he’s 6’8 or taller even though he may never be good enough to be a regular part of your rotation.

A back up for Morris or his future replacement will most likely be a free agent the wizards sign (if they can’t keep Scott and Morris leaves too) or someone they trade for; not someone they draft.

Edited by turtle28