Off-Topic: The Washington Capitals, YOUR 2018 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!, Thread

On 11/15/2023 at 1:17 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

He’s going to get it.  Heck of a career.  

The Caps have been on a heater lately led by their young guys, as Ovi hasn’t been a scoring machine so far this year and Backstrom shut himself down bc of his hip and I think will likely retire.

They’ve now won 4 in a row after last nights win over Columbus and they’re 9-4-2, 2nd place in the Metropolitan Division.

Edited by turtle28

• 4 months later...

Ovi is only 41 goals away from the record now.  I say "only" because for him he can get that in a season, maybe two max.  

And The Capitals are in the playoffs! It was a tight and nerve wracking ride but we got through it.  Now let's see how far they can go now?!

200-21.gif

• Like 3

It's totally unbelievable that the Caps made the playoffs this year. Once Backstrom retired I didn't think they had it in them. I know they still have the ole’ faithful in Ovi, Oshie & Carlson but these young guys are really exciting to me and have stepped their game up. I love how Lindi has played in goal. 

I’ll be shocked if they beat the Rangers but I expect it to be a good series.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Did we actually have a decent off-season?  I know it’s not a roster that’s going to make a serious Cup run, but I feel the team got markedly better and didn’t give out any huge contracts that won’t age well.  The deal for Dubois is questionable, and is high risk, but it could pay off.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Did we actually have a decent off-season?  I know it’s not a roster that’s going to make a serious Cup run, but I feel the team got markedly better and didn’t give out any huge contracts that won’t age well.  The deal for Dubois is questionable, and is high risk, but it could pay off.  

I'll leave it at this: BMGM spent the entire offseason doing a couple of things - maneuvering cap space, picks and positions to keep the Caps playoff competitive and Ovi's hunt intact while also continuing to build for the future as well. There are some prayers needed (goalie situation working itself out, Dubois clicking, the investments in the D paying off), but all in all this team should be probably better than last year's squad. We also took some shots on long term, high potential draft picks. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 8:44 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

https://x.com/Capitals/status/1810328032743461332

GMBM stepping aside from day-to-day duties, Chris Patrick is now GM. 

I don’t hate the move but I wonder what it says? Does it say maybe Patrick was more involved in what they did this offseason and was being groomed for this? Or did GMBM go alittle rouge and they felt they needed to temper the moves because they def spent and made aggressive moves. I’m just wondering if it was apart of Patrick’s vision and maybe stepping into the role more prominently. I guess we will never know. If they work he will be talked about as it was more involved and if they don’t then it will be more directly connected to why the move was made.

Bear with me. I'm a casual Caps fan. Seems other teams draft players number 1 and they step in and help right away. Do the Caps ever do this. Do they even have any of their number 1s on the roster ? 

NHL isn't at all like the NFL where you know the top pick is on the roster and is expected to play ! Wonder why that is .. ? 

5 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Bear with me. I'm a casual Caps fan. Seems other teams draft players number 1 and they step in and help right away. Do the Caps ever do this. Do they even have any of their number 1s on the roster ? 

NHL isn't at all like the NFL where you know the top pick is on the roster and is expected to play ! Wonder why that is .. ? 

A lot of players do need some kind of development.  The NHL is really strange in that, nothing is very linear.  You would expect that, with college and the minors, that everyone would need some seasoning but……not everyone.  

Sorry for the not so scientific answer.  

42 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I don’t hate the move but I wonder what it says? Does it say maybe Patrick was more involved in what they did this offseason and was being groomed for this? Or did GMBM go alittle rouge and they felt they needed to temper the moves because they def spent and made aggressive moves. I’m just wondering if it was apart of Patrick’s vision and maybe stepping into the role more prominently. I guess we will never know. If they work he will be talked about as it was more involved and if they don’t then it will be more directly connected to why the move was made.

GMBM is in his mid-60’s, so I can understand wanting to step away from a lot of the day to day stuff in the front office.  It was not presented or even hinted that this was a firing.