Baldy Mock v1.0 - The stay at 5 scenario

BaldyBronco

I still don't feel confident that the entire QB thing is sorted out, by Elway and many other GM's in this QB frenzy.  Ultimately, the odds are we stay at 5.  My board did not get a CB or a RB which I found unfortunate, but the players available fit best.  Not sure how 3 Notre Dame players got in here, but there are a lot of reasons why they fit.

With the release of Dez Bryant, the Cowboys will likely be going WR and that was the final straw to letting this draft class become a possiiblity.  LVE is a player I have tried to target and I had Dallas taking him at 16, opening the door for him to slip.  The trade with Atlanta is one that fits Elways M.O., and even if I am wrong on the player, I think it is a very likely move as there are some very interesting players that will be available.  I have 5 other plug in players at CB, WR, RB and DE that would make it work.

So here is it is:

1.1   – Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

1.2    - Saquon Barkley, RB, Pen State

1.3    - Sam Darnold, QB, USC

1.4    - Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State

1.5  Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame

The Broncos stay disciplined and get the best player on the Board, Elway looks back to how he landed on Von Miller, and follows the same process to choose Q.  Not only at a position of need, but a player who transcends the game and comes along once in a decade.  All the talk about 5 being to high is trumped by the talent and presence of this young man.   He instantly turns our O-Line in to a Top 10 line in the league and solves the problem that has dogged Elway.  The majority of people say that 5 is to high for an unsexy OG.  What I believe they miss is that his presence will improve the entire line.  He is the type of game changing player that will ripple through the entire offense, and one pick is the end of the massive overhaul of our O-Line.  Alternate pick would be Bradley Chubb if the mania goes like it may.  The goal of this pick is clear.  Draft a player who instantly becomes a starter and All-Pro player of the future.

Broncos trade 2.40 (500) 3.99(116) and 4.106 (82) to Atlanta for 1.26 (700)

1.26 Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise State

Need for a stable solution at middle LB is available.  This opportunity comes to us in the wake of the release of Dez Bryant.  The Cowboys go WR in Ridley, or C Sutland and LVE brings the bus to Denver.  With the moves made at Corner and Safety, this pick gives us that missing link to Cover the TE and be on the field on all 3 downs.  We pay a small premium to get our long term solution on the inside. I like this trade up scenario if Chubb is the pick at 5 and the pick would be Isiah Wynn, OG/C from Georgia.

3.71 Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame

Big and fast with a pedigree and huge desire to be great.  His family story scares a few teams off and he falls to the top of the 3rd Round.  Michael Gallup is the pick if he is not here.

Broncos trade 4.109 (76), 5.142 and 2019 3rd Round pick to Jacksonville for 3.93

3.93 Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond

We take our QB.  Kyle has huge upside and looks the part.  We choose to build the foundation of our team early and trade back up using future capital to get ahead of NE to nab him if they don't get a QB in Round 1 or 2.

5.163 Durham Smythe, TE, Notre Dame

The lack of a passing game keeps Durham under the radar.  He can block and act as an athletic body to aid in run protection.  Good value in the 5th round

6.182 - Kahlil McKenzie Jr.*, 3-4DE, Tennessee

Sort if a reach on a big strong run body to add depth to the Defensive Line.

7.225 - Ike Boettger, OT, Iowa

Big athletic player with ability to provide depth at the Tackle Position. Injury leaves him on the board late and we take a risk on development and potential

It's not bad apart from the Lauletta pick, although Nelson would be pretty underwhelming. I just hate getting a QB on day 2. I know I put Luke Falk in mine, but I hope that doesn't actually happen, was just a prediction. The reason I'm down on a day 2 QB is because I just kinda think that if we don't take one at 5, you may as well just keep developing Lynch for another year. I don't think Falk or Lauletta or Mason Rudolph are any better than Paxton Lynch.

Just now, paul-mac said:

It's not bad apart from the Lauletta pick, although Nelson would be pretty underwhelming. I just hate getting a QB on day 2. I know I put Luke Falk in mine, but I hope that doesn't actually happen, was just a prediction. The reason I'm down on a day 2 QB is because I just kinda think that if we don't take one at 5, you may as well just keep developing Lynch for another year. I don't think Falk or Lauletta or Mason Rudolph are any better than Paxton Lynch.

Ya.  I just had to get a QB in the first three rounds and this is how I sorted it out.  In terms of Paxton, any one of the 3 and Chad Kelly on the roster, will sort that out with the proper price paid. My ultimate nightmare is that one of the big 4 is likely to not be better than Paxton too.  At least we don't pay too much to get this Paxton thing behind us.

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I get it's a hypothetical, but please no on trading a 2019 3rd for a developmental QB...and I like Lauletta.

Personally, I'd rather take Gallup than ESB.   

FWIW, we don't have any 6th or 7th round picks.

I forgot to update my pick list.  That's why I am a friggin rookie at this....Thanks for the heads up.

So we have 1.5, 2.40, 3.71, 3.99, 4.106, 4.133, 5.149, 5.160 right?

48 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

I forgot to update my pick list.  That's why I am a friggin rookie at this....Thanks for the heads up.

So we have 1.5, 2.40, 3.71, 3.99, 4.106, 4.133, 5.149, 5.160 right?

No problem, and yes, that's the order...

Archived