Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

23 hours ago, Forge said:

Really nice to see the young guys stepping up in the first preseason game. Lappin (ok, he's not really young) with two goals, q ville with the other. Smith has two assists and second in Ice time. I'd be stoked if he made the club this year, but obviously unlikely except on the handful of games we are allowed

Yeah, I don't think he's going to make the roster this year but he's arguably already our best defenseman. He's gonna be special. Was beyond stoked when he fell to us.

Apparently we're at a stand still with Miles Wood. Rumors are we "aren't talking" so it's getting a bit murky on whether or not Wood will be with the team by the time the season opens. Would open a door for Quenneville or Lappin to make the roster.

Edited by beekay414

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Apparently we're at a stand still with Miles Wood. Rumors are we "aren't talking" so it's getting a bit murky on whether or not Wood will be with the team by the time the season opens. Would open a door for Quenneville or Lappin to make the roster.

I'm torn on how I feel about wood. Obviously a high energy guy, and had a good motor and effort, but I don't feel that he's particularly skilled, he lacks a ton of discipline and accountability in taking penalties and on the defensive end at times

I'm not sure what he blossoms into even if he grows. A one dimensional goal scorer?  Just seems like the best you're getting is Michael grabner with more penalties. Definitely some appeal to that from a goal scoring perspective, but I'm just not sure how great that is

20 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm torn on how I feel about wood. Obviously a high energy guy, and had a good motor and effort, but I don't feel that he's particularly skilled, he lacks a ton of discipline and accountability in taking penalties and on the defensive end at times

I'm not sure what he blossoms into even if he grows. A one dimensional goal scorer?  Just seems like the best you're getting is Michael grabner with more penalties. Definitely some appeal to that from a goal scoring perspective, but I'm just not sure how great that is

Yeah, I'm not too worried if we don't strike a deal with him. He is what he is at this point. I'm not paying a lot of money for an unrefined 35 PT player. Would rather give Anderson or Quenneville a shot in his spot. If he comes back on a deal similar to Santini or in the $2 Million AAV range, I'm good. Anything more than that, he can bounce.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Given that it's a 4 year deal, I'm actually pretty okay with the AAV. If he actually develops, he could be a bargain. If he pretty much stays where he's at, it's a nominal overpay. 

He also has another year of RFA after the deal so that's neat, I guess. 

I wanted him for around $2 m but I can live with $2.75 m.

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

He also has another year of RFA after the deal so that's neat, I guess. 

I wanted him for around $2 m but I can live with $2.75 m.

At least we didn't go full on caps and Tom Wilson. I wouldn't have been shocked if Woods' side was trying to get close to that once that contract was signed

Things are getting interesting with Ty Smith. He's the last Juniors eligible player on the camp roster (not counting Nico and Jesper). The longer he stays, the better the outlook. Honestly, I really want him on the roster. He's already our best LHD and, from what I've heard/read, he's pushing Vatanen for best Dman, period. 

HOW DID HE FALL TO 17?!!!!!

Edited by beekay414

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Things are getting interesting with Ty Smith. He's the last Juniors eligible player on the camp roster (not counting Nico and Jesper). The longer he stays, the better the outlook. Honestly, I really want him on the roster. He's already our best LHD and, from what I've heard/read, he's pushing Vatanen for best Dman, period. 

HOW DID HE FALL TO 17?!!!!!

And it's been all off season. He's excelled every step of the way.  Super stoked about him

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Smith is getting a ton of ice time. He's gonna make this roster. 

Had a bit of a rough night tonight it seemed like. I do think he will make the roster to start off. They have those handful of games during the regular season. What can her play before being returned to Juniors, seven games?

Chris Ryan did his roster projection, didn't include Smith. 

Out of the young forwards, he has Lappin and Q-ville making the roster over Anderson and Seney. He also has Stafford making the cut, which is sort of annoying truth be told. I mean, I get it. He's an extra skater, and you'd probably prefer to have the prospects playing every game in the AHL as opposed to once every blue moon at the NHL level, but Stafford is just so uninspiring lol. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Chris Ryan did his roster projection, didn't include Smith. 

Out of the young forwards, he has Lappin and Q-ville making the roster over Anderson and Seney. He also has Stafford making the cut, which is sort of annoying truth be told. I mean, I get it. He's an extra skater, and you'd probably prefer to have the prospects playing every game in the AHL as opposed to once every blue moon at the NHL level, but Stafford is just so uninspiring lol. 

We waived Lappin today so he's headed to Binghampton unless he gets claimed so so much for that...