Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

33 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

We are friggin' killing it today.

Was a really interesting draft in my opinion. A little surprised by the heaviness of the Russians, tbh. I was way off - I thought we were going to have liked the swedish kids. ... and then we take one

FYI, Pasic was one of Wheeler's sleepers, and had him rated in top 90. 

86. Nikola Pasic — C/LW, Linköping HC/BIK Karlskoga, 5-foot-10

Pasic is one of those players who had a tale of two seasons. In SuperElite, he looked dominant, aggressive and confident with the puck. He frequently took over games and looked like the best player on the league’s best team (they ultimately lost in the final). That play earned him a 15-game stint in the SHL. There, though, he (No. 29 in all of the video) looked passive and made a lot of plays like the one below where he sends a bad shot on net to avoid getting hit.

In the SHL, Pasic, a player who is at his best when he’s holding onto the puck to make plays, reverted to a perimeter winger who preferred to lurk on the exterior. And though that can work (he did a nice job sliding backdoor on his lone goal below but you’ll notice that I’ve cut the sequence so that you can see him enter the zone at the top of the frame only to attempt, wherever possible, to disengage from anyone who was willing to challenge his spot in the offensive zone) …

… more often than not, it doesn’t — and it’s not the way Pasic is going to be successful if he ever makes it to hockey’s top level.

Pasic is at his best when he’s showing off his creativity with the puck making things happen, rather than waiting for the game to come to him. He offered a glimpse of that on his lone assist in the SHL, a nifty little drop pass after he attacked the middle.

The skill is there — and it makes him intriguing at worst and exciting at best.

With Pasic, though, the challenge seems to be one of mentality. Next year, against the softer competition in Allsvenskan, he’ll have a better chance to build that confidence back up.

Like I said before this draft happened, this is going to sustain our success going forward. I know **** happens but, my feeling as of today is that we absolutely slayed this thing. The only pick that I don't like was Tyce but he's got pedigree so I get it.

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Like I said before this draft happened, this is going to sustain our success going forward. I know **** happens but, my feeling as of today is that we absolutely slayed this thing. The only pick that I don't like was Tyce but he's got pedigree so I get it.

Plus, we got Fing Subban lol. And no longer have Santini...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Plus, we got Fing Subban lol. And no longer have Santini...

I'm stoked, man. Now that we're done drafting, it's time for me to head to my friend's annual block party and talk about the Devils until I'm blue in the face. Oh, and drink a bit too. So damn stoked. When you have 11 picks in a draft, including a franchise player, and you only dislike 1 of them? Yeah, good day to be a Devil. Oh and we turned our scraps into a legit top pairing Dman. My body is so ready for that 8 year, $88 Million Taylor Hall deal.

• Like 1

Poile confirmed that his motivation in making this trade was the salary cap space. He said four teams in total had all made different offers, but the Devils were the only one able to take Subban’s entire contract without requiring the Predators retain salary.

• Like 1

If we sign Joonas Donskoi, this offseason is a home friggin' run. I trust Vatanen on the left side next to PK as the top pairing so I don't feel the need to go after a top pairing LHD unless the price is right. I do like the Nick Leddy idea thrown around on HF but it's not needed tbh. Connor Carrick is fine for a 3rd pairing RD. 

Vatanen-Subban
Smith-Severson
Butcher-Carrick
Greene

I'm good with that. They can all play and we can run Greene out in certain situations. Smith, Butcher and Greene can all be interchangeable depending on the situation. We have ZERO reason to run Greene out for 20+ a night anymore.

Even if we get 2019 PK, he's still better than anything we have. That, in and of itself, is worth what we paid. We lost nothing that hurts (I love Davies but he's a former 7th round pick) and got a top pairing dman. You won't find a top pairing Dman that'll come that cheap again. I love Ray Shero. I love Paul Castron. We WILL win a cup in the 2020s. I have no doubts.

9 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Even if we get 2019 PK, he's still better than anything we have. That, in and of itself, is worth what we paid. We lost nothing that hurts (I love Davies but he's a former 7th round pick) and got a top pairing dman. You won't find a top pairing Dman that'll come that cheap again. I love Ray Shero. I love Paul Castron. We WILL win a cup in the 2020s. I have no doubts.

Someone posted this on HF with regards to deals that we have made at the draft (or the day after or whatever)

Hall, Subban, Palmieri, Johansson
for
Larsson, Santini, Davies, four 2nds, a 3rd, and a 4th.

And we got a 2nd & 4th back for JOhansson...

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Someone posted this on HF with regards to deals that we have made at the draft (or the day after or whatever)

And we got a 2nd & 4th back for JOhansson...

Oh yeah, Ray has KILLED his trades. The only misses he's had is Mueller and Grabner and those were small.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Oh yeah, Ray has KILLED his trades. The only misses he's had is Mueller and Grabner and those were small.

Mueller was worth the risk, I thought, given his age and first round pedigree. Grabner was probably the worst of them, though I understood the decision. 

Just now, Forge said:

Mueller was worth the risk, I thought, given his age and first round pedigree. Grabner was probably the worst of them, though I understood the decision. 

Yep

Regardless. We straight up KILLED IT this weekend. Franchise altering weekend. I like Alexis Lafraniere a lot but we aren't going to be in the mix for him. We are COMING for the playoffs and the top of the metro. 

We are in crazy good hands with Shero and Castron. 

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yep

Regardless. We straight up KILLED IT this weekend. Franchise altering weekend. I like Alexis Lafraniere a lot but we aren't going to be in the mix for him. We are COMING for the playoffs and the top of the metro. 

We are in crazy good hands with Shero and Castron. 

I'm thinking 7/77 for Hall. Not sure we will give him the full 8 because of the 35 rule, I'm pretty sure. 

I figure 8/69 or something like that for Nico. 

I think that I'd like to see something along the lines of 5x22.5 for Bratt if we can.