Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

18 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Vats is such an interesting case because it's hard to tell what we're going to do with him. I doubt we'll extend him and we'll probably be good enough to where we can't flip him at the deadline. So, we're in that "trade him now" or run it back and lose him spot. I'm fine with either. We don't have a true top pairing LD so I'm fine with trotting him out there at that spot until we can do something about it (whether it be Smith developing into it or Shero working his magic again). 

If we can flip him for a true LHD, let's go. I'm all for it. Just don't know what we can really do when he has no term left. We could gamble on Brodie. Either way, we run into that issue to whether play Butcher on the right side or not give Ty Smith his keep. Smith deserves a chance to earn his minutes (he was close to doing so last year and he only got better), so I'd have a hard time with him being the 7th dman. I want him on the ice for a minimum of 12 minutes a night.

Hynes and Shero still have their hands full. It's been one hell of a last few days but we are far from finished.

Also, that "one more middle six winger" thing, is that before or after the Donskoi projection?

I thought about Brodie to. Also considered Alex Martinez in la. There are lefties out there. If we wait until after July 1, any team trading for vats can work an extension with him, which is nice. 

One more middle six winger would be before Donskoi. He would satisfy that.

Just now, Forge said:

I thought about Brodie to. Also considered Alex Martinez in la. There are lefties out there. If we wait until after July 1, any team trading for vats can work an extension with him, which is nice. 

One more middle six winger would be before Donskoi. He would satisfy that.

Yeah, we're close. Shero's gonna work his magic, I have no doubts. Castron loaded us up with specs, it's Raymundo's turn to do his thing. We are going to OWN the 2020's. I have a feeling.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I haven't been this excited for a Devils season since I was a teenager/pre-teen. 2011-2012 was fun but unexpected. I want a title as an adult FFS. I got to see '95, '00 and '03 but I was a kid/young adult. I wanna be able to get drunk and spend a ridiculous amount of money on merchandise when we win. We're a ways from it but, as we saw this year, it's a get in and see what happens league. There's a reason why only 8 of the 33 President's Trophy winners have won the Cup. This **** is wide open.

I was just old enough to remember the first in 95. I was 14. I'm pretty sure I have the last period of game 4 on a vhs tape somewhere lol.

Was definitely old enough to remember the other two. I remember Madden topping one of the post, then getting the same opportunity moments later and burying it. I remember Elias running out of room in the breakaway and then dropping the no look to sykora against Dallas. 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

I was just old enough to remember the first in 95. I was 14. I'm pretty sure I have the last period of game 4 on a vhs tape somewhere lol.

Was definitely old enough to remember the other two. I remember Madden topping one of the post, then getting the same opportunity moments later and burying it. I remember Elias running out of room in the breakaway and then dropping the no look to sykora against Dallas. 

I was 8 or 9 when we beat Detroit in '95. Wasn't old enough to remember it all and my connection wasn't as strong seeing as I was young and not from Jersey. I was a fan because of Scottie but wasn't a die hard yet. I distinctly remember 2000 and 2003 and being utterly disappointed in 2001 despite being supremely happy for Ray Bourque. However, I want a definitive adult title. I thought we had a shot at stealing one in 2012 but LA got the bounce (they weren't better, they literally got the bounces in close games). Now? Raymundo Shero is going to bring the cup back to the Rock. I have no doubts. I said this draft would sustain us and I believe that even more after today. LIS a few times today, we are going to be a force to be reckoned with in the 2020s. I have no doubts.

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

I was 8 or 9 when we beat Detroit in '95. Wasn't old enough to remember it all and my connection wasn't as strong seeing as I was young and not from Jersey. I was a fan because of Scottie but wasn't a die hard yet. I distinctly remember 2000 and 2003 and being utterly disappointed in 2001 despite being supremely happy for Ray Bourque. However, I want a definitive adult title. I thought we had a shot at stealing one in 2012 but LA got the bounce (they weren't better, they literally got the bounces in close games). Now? Raymundo Shero is going to bring the cup back to the Rock. I have no doubts. I said this draft would sustain us and I believe that even more after today. LIS a few times today, we are going to be a force to be reckoned with in the 2020s. I have no doubts.

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Not to mention the benefit of a pretty important major penalty

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Remind me. I may or may not have blacked that out from my memory.

Bernier called for a major boarding penalty in game 6 when it was 0-0 in the first. They scored three times in the ensuing pp if I remember right

Just now, Forge said:

Bernier called for a major boarding penalty in game 6 when it was 0-0 in the first. They scored three times in the ensuing pp if I remember right

That's right. I was at the bar watching and when that happened, my attention shifted to the server that was hot as hell. I remember that clearly now LOL. Still, it shouldn't have been an issue. They got literally EVERY bounce in games 1 and 2 and they won both games in OT. I also remember Marek Zidlicky had a delay of game penalty that screwed us and I forever hated him after that. Was just terrible. 

I remember Jeff Carter (I believe) taking advantage of a bounce in OT and burying the GW one game. Might be wrong but I distinctly remember being uber pissed because it wasn't a case of "who was the better team" it was a case of "who go the better bounce" in the first two games.

I remember going down 3-0 after they destroyed us in LA. I also remember fighting back to 3-2 until that Bernier debacle in game 6. 

Heartbreak city. I forgot about it all until tonight. Thank god I have beer.

• Like 1

I desperately want another Cup. Lou may have sustained playoff appearances but he royally ****ed us when it came to the end of his reign. Shero and Castron have done an admirable job since. I'm ready for that next step. It's time we regain our spot a top the East where we rightfully belong.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I desperately want another Cup. Lou may have sustained playoff appearances but he royally ****ed us when it came to the end of his reign. Shero and Castron have done an admirable job since. I'm ready for that next step. It's time we regain our spot a top the East where we rightfully belong.

Will always be a love/hate thing with lou for how he left the franchise, his iron fist negotiations, etc. But can't deny he took this franchise from Mickey mouse to the time cup winner with two other appearances. When he was in his prime, he was one of the best. And he crushed the drafts in the 90s for the most part. And of course, it's almost solely because of him we got Stevens

Just now, Forge said:

Will always be a love/hate thing with lou for how he left the franchise, his iron fist negotiations, etc. But can't deny he took this franchise from Mickey mouse to the time cup winner with two other appearances. When he was in his prime, he was one of the best. And he crushed the drafts in the 90s for the most part. And of course, it's almost solely because of him we got Stevens

For sure, I'll never forget admiring Lou. It's impossible. It's also impossible to deny that he royally screwed us and bailed at the end here. So it's a major love/hate relationship. We don't win 3 Cups without Lou nor do I have my all-time unsurpassed favorite player in Stevens, but he left us in shambles and hindered almost an entire decade. It would've been totally different had we somehow managed to win the 2012 Cup but, when we came up short, that changed it all. Since then, 1 playoff appearance/win and Raymundo trying to dig himself out of a LL hole. We missed an entire decade of trying to win a Cup because of Lou's end of the line shortsighted vision. Shero and Castron are doing their damnedest to make the 2020s like 1995-2003.

LOL

They had a camera crew with Hughes after he got drafted...he congratulated Byram and someone else when he saw them but when he walked past Kakko? Dead ******* silent. This kid already gets it. He's going to be a friggin' legend at the Rock.

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

LOL

They had a camera crew with Hughes after he got drafted...he congratulated Byram and someone else when he saw them but when he walked past Kakko? Dead ******* silent. This kid already gets it. He's going to be a friggin' legend at the Rock.