Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

I wonder how good this team would be with just competent goaltending. Our Goalie situation is pretty horrific. It's clear that Mac is not ready to even be a 1b at this point. Backup? Okay, I'm willing to give him that role and see if he can grow into a starter, but he's definitely not there yet. I just don't know how we fix that. We have nobody of note in the system. If someone offers up a competent goalie in a Hall trade, that should be the deal we take

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wonder how good this team would be with just competent goaltending. Our Goalie situation is pretty horrific. It's clear that Mac is not ready to even be a 1b at this point. Backup? Okay, I'm willing to give him that role and see if he can grow into a starter, but he's definitely not there yet. I just don't know how we fix that. We have nobody of note in the system. If someone offers up a competent goalie in a Hall trade, that should be the deal we take

Who even has a surplus of goaltending that would be in on Hall?

12 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Who even has a surplus of goaltending that would be in on Hall?

Goalie prospects would certainly be on the table, but Arizona is probably the only team I can think of with two good starters at the NHL level. Not sure they would part with either. The Avs have a nice tandem, but limited sample for Francouz, and he's already like 29. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Oh, and Vancouver has demko, which would be a very intriguing trade opportunity

Man, I'd love to get my hands on Demko but I doubt Vancouver would move him, especially with Markstrom entering UFA next year. Could see us signing Markstrom in 2020 though.

What I'd give to get my hands on Matt Murray from Pittsburgh. Still only 25 and they have Tristan Jarry behind him. Hell, give me either. Take advantage of it like we did the Schneider/Luongo situation in Vancouver.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/five-potential-trade-destinations-for-taylor-hall

Projected packages or prospects mentioned in the article;

Carolina: LHD Jake Bean, LW Dominik Bokk, 2020 1st (actual package presented)
Colorado: RW Martin Kaut, C Shane Bowers, RHD Connor Timmons
Dallas: GK Jake Oettinger, C Ty Dellandrea
Edmonton: RW Kailer Yamamoto, LW Tyler Benson
Montreal: C Ryan Poehling, GK Cayden Primeau

Some of that is probably pipe dreaming (Primeau) so we'll see what happens. We absolutely have to trade him though.

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/five-potential-trade-destinations-for-taylor-hall

Some of that is probably pipe dreaming (Primeau) so we'll see what happens. We absolutely have to trade him though.

Take Colorado's offer of Timmons + Bowers/Kaut and I think you guys are set. Timmins is NHL ready who projects to be a top 4 RHD who can move the puck. Bowers should be a good middle six C and Kaut has a chance to be a top 6 winger.

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Honestly, I think that most of those are probably pipe dreams. I think the return on him is not going to be good as some of the people are putting out there. . I love Bean, so hoping to get him from Carolina if we ship him that way, but I don't think there's any chance we are getting all three of those pieces. Bean is seen by some in the same light as Brannstrom, so you could easily see that be something like Bean + a second and that's that (though hoping for a first). But I don't think Bokk would be in the mix there. If we did, I'd be ecstatic, but I'm leaning more toward basically getting two "quality" pieces back - a first round pick + a decent prospect. I'm not sure that we are going to get a stud prospect + a 1st. 

22 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Take Colorado's offer of Timmons + Bowers/Kaut and I think you guys are set. Timmins is NHL ready who projects to be a top 4 RHD who can move the puck. Bowers should be a good middle six C and Kaut has a chance to be a top 6 winger.

I really wish it wasn't Col that we are being tied to. Neither Bowers or Kaut strike me as all that impressive at the current point in time. Timmins is an interesting dude. No doubt that he has the upside to be a top 4 guy, but you have to be terrified of the fact that he missed so much time due to a concussion last year while asking him to play D in the NHL. 

Sounds like Arizona is trying really hard to get in on Hall. I'd love that if the deal included one of the goalies, though I doubt that is going to be the case. The rumors are that Shero is the one actively shopping Hall at this point - not others coming to him - which wouldn't bode well for a return. 

The Taylor Hall trade talks have intensified, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to happen at this time.

“He’s trying,” another GM said of Shero.

The Devils have made it clear they want first-rounders (although they are willing to discuss conditional situations, depending on the acquiring team’s ability to re-sign Hall or playoff results) and/or high-level prospects who are ready to play. They badly need defence, which is why there’s a lot of focus on Colorado as the perfect trade partner. The Avalanche have plenty of defensive prospects and think they can win. Several teams believe Arizona is making a serious effort. Hall is what they need, too. It’s believed Dallas and St. Louis are among other pursuers.

I like the St. Louis addition. If we could land Kyrou, I'd be ecstatic with that return regardless of whatever else is put in. I think that dude is a sure-fire top 6 at the next level, and possibly even a top line guy. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Forge said:

I like the St. Louis addition. If we could land Kyrou, I'd be ecstatic with that return regardless of whatever else is put in. I think that dude is a sure-fire top 6 at the next level, and possibly even a top line guy. 

Wouldn't hate Kyrou but I REALLY REALLY DESPERATELY want to come out of this trade with some kind of legitimate left handed defenseman or goalie. All I'm asking is for a Brannstrom type dman. That's it. Anything else and I'm contend. 

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Wouldn't hate Kyrou but I REALLY REALLY DESPERATELY want to come out of this trade with some kind of legitimate left handed defenseman or goalie. All I'm asking is for a Brannstrom type dman. That's it. Anything else and I'm contend. 

Honestly, at this point, I just want the best prospect, and I consider kyrou to be a top 20-25 guy. Besides, we have the second worst offense in hockey, so it's not like that it's going well for us either. They also have a guy like Mikkola, so if we could get the both of them, that would be awesome. 

But I'm thinking the best LHD we could get would be Bean, and overall, Kyrou is just the far superior player. Edmonton is unlikely to give up Broberg or Bouchard. Toronto won't be in on it, so sandin is out. The isles probably aren't giving up Dobson (though maybe Wilde?)

That being said, there are a lot of interesting scenarios.

If Arizona gets him, maybe we get Raanta in the deal, which I think would be a huge help to this team. Raanta + soderstrom (or more likely Bahl) isn't bad.

Dallas has Harley, and I think he'd be at least on the table.

Carolina has Bean, and Buffalo has a few guys, including Ryan Johnson. Blues have Kyrou (though probably unlikely to trade him in a rental situation) but they have Mikkola too, who I think it's an intriguing piece. 

Colorado has Timmins. Scary as hell with the concussion, but the skill is legit. He's a to four some day if healthy. 

The only one I'm not sure on is what Boston gives to if they get into the fray

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Honestly, at this point, I just want the best prospect, and I consider kyrou to be a top 20-25 guy. Besides, we have the second worst offense in hockey, so it's not like that it's going well for us either. They also have a guy like Mikkola, so if we could get the both of them, that would be awesome. 

But I'm thinking the best LHD we could get would be Bean, and overall, Kyrou is just the far superior player. Edmonton is unlikely to give up Broberg or Bouchard. Toronto won't be in on it, so sandin is out. The isles probably aren't giving up Dobson (though maybe Wilde?)

That being said, there are a lot of interesting scenarios.

If Arizona gets him, maybe we get Raanta in the deal, which I think would be a huge help to this team. Raanta + soderstrom (or more likely Bahl) isn't bad.

Dallas has Harley, and I think he'd be at least on the table.

Carolina has Bean, and Buffalo has a few guys, including Ryan Johnson. Blues have Kyrou (though probably unlikely to trade him in a rental situation) but they have Mikkola too, who I think it's an intriguing piece. 

Colorado has Timmins. Scary as hell with the concussion, but the skill is legit. He's a to four some day if healthy. 

The only one I'm not sure on is what Boston gives to if they get into the fray

Man, I want Dallas to get desperate and give us Oettinger and Harley lol. No draft pick would be necessary. I'd actually add in the deal to get both if we could. 

21 hours ago, Forge said:

I really wish it wasn't Col that we are being tied to. Neither Bowers or Kaut strike me as all that impressive at the current point in time. Timmins is an interesting dude. No doubt that he has the upside to be a top 4 guy, but you have to be terrified of the fact that he missed so much time due to a concussion last year while asking him to play D in the NHL. 

I think I'd be pretty happy with Bowers + Timmins. Bowers to me looks like a mini Ryan O'Reilly. His top end potential is a 50-60 point C who can play PvP against opposition's best players. That's incredibly valuable. Timmins, you are correct with the concussion being a risk, however if his medicals clear him, he's got a 30-40 point top 4 D upside, which is hard to find. He's suited to the modern game perfectly, and I think would really fit in with your core.

I also think GMs are now hesitant to give up too many prospects/picks. Not only due to the salary cap, but the next draft is supposed to be an incredibly deep one, like say 2006 (where you could get a franchise C with a 1st round pick in the teens). In addition, looming expansion draft, teams are going to hoard assets that don't need to be protected. It's going to hamper your return a bit.