Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

Just now, beekay414 said:

Yep. Things are looking up. Patience is necessary when you're starting from scratch like we did after Lou left. Sure, it's a slow, painful process, but it's expected. I think we're gonna be good in the future. Especially if we nail the 2020 draft. I really like what we did with our expirings. Hit a lot of needs and got a lot of talent/capital. 

I really want to know what we do with that third first rounder. Honestly, I'd be super shocked if we used it. As nice as they are, if it ends up 24 or something, it's just not that inspiring. Kind of like the NBA in that regard. Most of the time, that's going to be a complete blank. I feel like I'd rather package that with Arizona's pick to move up into the top 8 or so, and maybe have two picks in the top 8, or just straight send that to a team for an established player / rfa we can get great term on. 

I'd probably send it to CO for Z (may not require that, but I think regardless, Z is a strong fit on this team). Would Calgary send over Hanafin for that +? I'd probably do that. Ryan Graves is an RFA...so may Colorado will unload one. I'm not sure what Graves would cost, but couldn't be a one (though he may not have the shut down ability of Z). If Josh Anderson could be trusted to stay healthy, I think I'd take a shot on him if Columbus didn't want to give him money (though they have plenty of it). I will say that this free agency class (both unrestricted and restricted) completely sucks. It may be hard for us to grab even some legit buy low types. It's just a ton of garbage. 

Also, I seriously may have to start streaming the ahl games. That's how excited I am about the roster we are putting together down there. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I really want to know what we do with that third first rounder. Honestly, I'd be super shocked if we used it. As nice as they are, if it ends up 24 or something, it's just not that inspiring. Kind of like the NBA in that regard. Most of the time, that's going to be a complete blank. I feel like I'd rather package that with Arizona's pick to move up into the top 8 or so, and maybe have two picks in the top 8, or just straight send that to a team for an established player / rfa we can get great term on. 

I'd probably send it to CO for Z (may not require that, but I think regardless, Z is a strong fit on this team). Would Calgary send over Hanafin for that +? I'd probably do that. Ryan Graves is an RFA...so may Colorado will unload one. I'm not sure what Graves would cost, but couldn't be a one (though he may not have the shut down ability of Z). If Josh Anderson could be trusted to stay healthy, I think I'd take a shot on him if Columbus didn't want to give him money (though they have plenty of it). I will say that this free agency class (both unrestricted and restricted) completely sucks. It may be hard for us to grab even some legit buy low types. It's just a ton of garbage. 

Also, I seriously may have to start streaming the ahl games. That's how excited I am about the roster we are putting together down there. 

Honestly, I really don't want to trade the 3rd pick. If we do trade it, I'd like to gain some 2nds from it. I know we're starting to get towards that 50 contract limit but, still, I want MORE depth. The more depth you have, the less misses hurt. If we could trade Vancouver's pick to Ottawa for 2 of their 2nds (34 and 51?), I'd do it. I really love the depth of this draft. I think the player we could get at 34 would be very similar to the one we get at 20-24 (wherever it falls). Of course, that could change if someone with immense upside falls like Askarov. Also, if we traded it for 2nds, we could use a 2nd on a player trade without losing that pick. I'd be far more comfortable trading a 2 for Z than a 1. 

I dunno. I think we'll use the pick. I certainly wouldn't trade it for anyone you listed above. Hanifin is whatever at this point.

Edited by beekay414

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Honestly, I really don't want to trade the 3rd pick. If we do trade it, I'd like to gain some 2nds from it. I know we're starting to get towards that 50 contract limit but, still, I want MORE depth. The more depth you have, the less misses hurt. If we could trade Vancouver's pick to Ottawa for 2 of their 2nds (34 and 51?), I'd do it. I really love the depth of this draft. I think the player we could get at 34 would be very similar to the one we get at 20-24 (wherever it falls). Of course, that could change if someone with immense upside falls like Askarov.

I dunno. I think we'll use the pick. I certainly wouldn't trade it for anyone you listed above. Hanifin is whatever at this point.

i thought about trading down, but I thought about it in the "trade down and then trade it for a player" way lol. Like, trade values are kind of obscene at the draft. I'd love if the Canucks pick is like 24, we trade down to like 29 for two seconds, then trade 29 for an NHL player. 

I really would like to recoup some picks in the second / third round, but honestly, it's a bigger priority for me to either get that second pick into the top 9 or so or to get a youngish, talented player on this team from a team that needs help. I love those type of trades. I mean, look at what JT Miller has done for Vancouver. Or what happened with Kyle Palmieri for us. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

i thought about trading down, but I thought about it in the "trade down and then trade it for a player" way lol. Like, trade values are kind of obscene at the draft. I'd love if the Canucks pick is like 24, we trade down to like 29 for two seconds, then trade 29 for an NHL player. 

I really would like to recoup some picks in the second / third round, but honestly, it's a bigger priority for me to either get that second pick into the top 9 or so or to get a youngish, talented player on this team from a team that needs help. I love those type of trades. I mean, look at what JT Miller has done for Vancouver. Or what happened with Kyle Palmieri for us. 

Yeah, I edited my post to mention trading one of the 2nds for Z. I don't think I could part with a 1 for him. Don't think he's the type of player worth a 1.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

Yeah, I edited my post to mention trading one of the 2nds for Z. I don't think I could part with a 1 for him. Don't think he's the type of player worth a 1.

I don't know that he is...but at the same time, mid 20's first round picks are often sooooooooooooo baaaaaaaaad lol. Kind of why I like bouncing down and getting the extras then making the trade. 

I don't know that he is...but at the same time, mid 20's first round picks are often sooooooooooooo baaaaaaaaad lol. Kind of why I like bouncing down and getting the extras then making the trade. 

I mean, I guess I could live with trading, say the pick ends up at 21, to Minnesota for Pittsburgh's pick and their 2nd and then dealing the Pittsburgh pick for someone or the Minnesota pick for Z. 

It's gonna be interesting. Definitely taking off work so I can watch the draft live lol. 

• Like 1

I mean, I guess I could live with trading, say the pick ends up at 21, to Minnesota for Pittsburgh's pick and their 2nd and then dealing the Pittsburgh pick for someone or the Minnesota pick for Z. 

It's gonna be interesting. Definitely taking off work so I can watch the draft live lol. 

Right now, this would be 18 for 27 and 39. Is that doable?

Oh, that's not even in doubt for me. The funny thing is, I haven't even been following the NFL draft process at all yet, this year. And I'm a big nfl draft guy. I Didn't watch any of the senior bowl, am not paying attention to the combine at all...but I keep reading about the the NHL draft lol 

Oh, that's not even in doubt for me. The funny thing is, I haven't even been following the NFL draft process at all yet, this year. And I'm a big nfl draft guy. I Didn't watch any of the senior bowl, am not paying attention to the combine at all...but I keep reading about the the NHL draft lol 

lol yep, same here. I usually take off for the NFL Draft too but I have no desire to do so this year. The NFL is definitely my least favorite of the 4 major North American sports.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Right now, this would be 18 for 27 and 39. Is that doable?

Usually jumping from 27 to 18 would be even more I'm pretty sure. But I'd do something like that at a lower cost with the intention of flipping 27 to a team like Colorado for Z or another team for a player similar to that. I really want some defensive help on that left side. Honestly, I'm not even sure that is Ty. I mean, are we going to play him on the left? He actually plays on his off hand, so I'm not sure. I could see him play a third pairing RD. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Usually jumping from 27 to 18 would be even more I'm pretty sure. But I'd do something like that at a lower cost with the intention of flipping 27 to a team like Colorado for Z or another team for a player similar to that. I really want some defensive help on that left side. Honestly, I'm not even sure that is Ty. I mean, are we going to play him on the left? He actually plays on his off hand, so I'm not sure. I could see him play a third pairing RD. 

I think Colorado would take 39 for Z's rights. I don't think they'd require a 1 for him tbh. I think that'd be the best of both worlds. Acquire the extra pick that still holds high value and then keep the 1st to draft someone in a deep draft. Even if it's a dman that's got some flaws but high upside (Shakir Mukhamadullin; William Wallinder). 

Coming out of this draft with Drysdale, Quinn, Mukhamadullin and Zadorov would be a home run weekend.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I think Colorado would take 39 for Z's rights. I don't think they'd require a 1 for him tbh. I think that'd be the best of both worlds. Acquire the extra pick that still holds high value and then keep the 1st to draft someone in a deep draft. Even if it's a dman that's got some flaws but high upside (Shakir Mukhamadullin; William Wallinder). 

Coming out of this draft with Drysdale, Quinn, Mukhamadullin and Zadorov would be a home run weekend.

I'm basically locking myself up to Drysdale & Stutzle if we draft in the top 5 (the disaster would be if we were drafting 5 and it went AL, Byfield, Drysdale then Stutzle lol). 

If we draft like 6-8 and they are gone, I think my target is Rossi. I seriously hate that he is so small (and that's he's older than most and one of the oldest in the draft class), but his success the last two years, being able to do what he is doing while coming over to Northern America this year? That's pretty damn impressive. And he was good last year. You can actually go on the athletic and read an article from last year about him in his -1 year about how well he was doing in all the random places he was actually playing. So if we are drafting there, I Think I want Rossi / Holtz. I'm not sure what part of Holtz's game will translate, but I have to imagine that at the very least he's a spot up shooter and power play super star? 

With Arizona's pick, assuming 10-12, I think I want Quinn or Perfetti. I don't love Perfetti, admittedly. I don't think that he can create enough with his feet in a clogged up game, but hard to pass up here. Same with Quinn. 

If we get bumped down to say 14-15, then give me Lundell / Zary / Mysak. Zary is old (2 days younger than Rossi), but he was more than a ppg player in the whl last year, so it's not like he's just having success through being an overager (he had one fewer point in one fewer game than Krebs did last year and more points than Foote did). 

If we do use that third pick in the mid 20's or whatever, I do really like some of the more defensive guys. Guhle and Schneider would be good gets, and I think honestly that Muk would still be there (though I'm basically just going off STI's talk on him, I don't know much of anything myself). 

Also, I'm not sure where he goes...but if we can pick up that second round pick, I really, really would like to take a crack at Michael Benning. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm basically locking myself up to Drysdale & Stutzle if we draft in the top 5 (the disaster would be if we were drafting 5 and it went AL, Byfield, Drysdale then Stutzle lol). 

If we draft like 6-8 and they are gone, I think my target is Rossi. I seriously hate that he is so small (and that's he's older than most and one of the oldest in the draft class), but his success the last two years, being able to do what he is doing while coming over to Northern America this year? That's pretty damn impressive. And he was good last year. You can actually go on the athletic and read an article from last year about him in his -1 year about how well he was doing in all the random places he was actually playing. So if we are drafting there, I Think I want Rossi / Holtz. I'm not sure what part of Holtz's game will translate, but I have to imagine that at the very least he's a spot up shooter and power play super star? 

With Arizona's pick, assuming 10-12, I think I want Quinn or Perfetti. I don't love Perfetti, admittedly. I don't think that he can create enough with his feet in a clogged up game, but hard to pass up here. Same with Quinn. 

If we get bumped down to say 14-15, then give me Lundell / Zary / Mysak. Zary is old (2 days younger than Rossi), but he was more than a ppg player in the whl last year, so it's not like he's just having success through being an overager (he had one fewer point in one fewer game than Krebs did last year and more points than Foote did). 

If we do use that third pick in the mid 20's or whatever, I do really like some of the more defensive guys. Guhle and Schneider would be good gets, and I think honestly that Muk would still be there (though I'm basically just going off STI's talk on him, I don't know much of anything myself). 

Also, I'm not sure where he goes...but if we can pick up that second round pick, I really, really would like to take a crack at Michael Benning. 

I'm with you on a lot of this. If we take Holtz with that 1st pick, the Arizona pick makes sense that it'd be Perfetti. I'd actually probably lean Mysak over Perfetti though if he can play on the dot (he's projected at LW but currently plays C so who knows). I know Stutzle is a potential superstar but, as I've said before, I'd be very hardpressed to pass up Drysdale at 3. If he can even become Makar lite, he's worth that pick for us. 

Even if Muk isn't there, someone in the "raw but needs developing" category on defense is going to be there. Whether it be Justin Barron, William Wallinder, Jeremie Poirier, Lukas Cormier, Ryan O'Rourke.

I haven't done a lot of looking at early day 2 prospects because we don't have any picks in those rounds so I'll have to look at Michael Benning at some point. 

• Like 1

I also forgot to mention that it's 100% certain that a safe but limited upside Dman like Kaiden Guhle would be available with that pick should we trade down or it falls to ~24. I've been on the Guhle train for a while and love that he's a stay at home, shutdown type #2. Don't even care that his upside is capped by lack of scoring.