Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

33 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Also, what the hell is Detroit doing? Why do/did they have Rasmussen, Zadina, Svechnikov and Veleno wasting away in Grand Rapids in favor of veteran turd burglars like Darren Helm, Valterri Filppula, Luke Glendening, Frans Nielsen and Justin Abdelkader? I know they are all under contract for a while, and a huge LOL at the Nielsen and Abdelkader deals - Nice return on $9.5 Million - a combined 11 points from the pair, but waive them and eat it. It's doing no good keeping those clowns around. Owners are just that friggin' stubborn about paying players NOT to play for their teams, hey? Yeah, I'm sure the 11 points for $9.5 Million is a worthy investment. 

I know Zadina is up now but, good god, he had no business playing 20 games in Grand Rapids at all. He's 8th in goals on that squad and he's played 28 games lol.

"Grit" lol

Seriously. What they are doing is basically the kinds of stuff devils fans were saying we had to do because "you can't have all kids"

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Though the 2021 draft is nowhere near as strong as this one. I'm okay losing Vancouver's pick because it's at the back half of this draft right now but I'm not okay losing Arizona's lol.

If Arizona wins the lotto, I will go bat crap crazy

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

"Grit" lol

Seriously. What they are doing is basically the kinds of stuff devils fans were saying we had to do because "you can't have all kids"

It's sooooooooooooooooo bad tho. They are a cap strapped team who is historically bad. Like I posted earlier, they are paying $35 million this year ($11 Million to Zetterberg and Franzen) for absolutely no production. That $35 Million has gotten you 60 points...combined. If I was a Red Wings fan, I'd completely disown them. 

29 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

LOL holy crap, they are paying Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen still too! Another $6 Million next year for Henrik!!!!

Imagine paying almost $30 Million in 2020-2021 for Zetterberg, Helm, Nielsen, Abdelkader, Filpulla, Glendening and DeKeyser. That's ~$30 million for 60 points in 2019-2020.

Oof. Why did Steve leave the cushy TB job for that one? Jesus. 

So they are basically going to be this awful for another year or two

1 minute ago, Forge said:

If Arizona wins the lotto, I will go bat crap crazy

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT

If it gets us Luke Hughes AND Aatu Raty next year? I won't be too upset LOL. I'd be pissed this year but there's a real shot both those teams are terrible next year.

Just now, Forge said:

Oof. Why did Steve leave the cushy TB job for that one? Jesus. 

So they are basically going to be this awful for another year or two

He better have a really, really long leash. He walked into a nuclear wasteland in Detroit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

It's sooooooooooooooooo bad tho. They are a cap strapped team who is historically bad. Like I posted earlier, they are paying $35 million this year ($11 Million to Zetterberg and Franzen) for absolutely no production. That $35 Million has gotten you 60 points...combined. If I was a Red Wings fan, I'd completely disown them. 

I hope those fans remember the titles, because karma has come to collect lol. I knew my time was coming as a giant fan after the 3 in 5, so I savored that crap. Even go back and watch on YouTube

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

I hope those fans remember the titles, because karma has come to collect lol. I knew my time was coming as a giant fan after the 3 in 5, so I savored that crap. Even go back and watch on YouTube

lol no kidding. I find myself going back and watching UNC's 2017 run with how bad they've been this year.

• Like 1

I thought the Kings situation was bad but at least they aren't locked in to absolutely worthless players. Sure, they've got Kopitar and Doughty on the books for $21 Million for the next four years (seven in Doughty's case) but it's nowhere near what Detroit's got. Brown and Quick aren't good but they aren't friggin' Abdelkader and Nielsen bad.

Sure, it could get bad with Doughty on the back end but that's one dude. Yes, one dude with a massive hit but, still, one dude.

Edited by beekay414

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I would take Abdelkader's crappy contract...for Seider or Zadina lol!

The sad part is, they lose a number of older guys next year, but they still have horrific contracts. They should trade bertuzzi. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The sad part is, they lose a number of older guys next year, but they still have horrific contracts. They should trade bertuzzi. 

Yep, they still have almost $15 Million locked up for 2 more years between Abdelkader, Nielsen and DeKeyser even with Filpulla and Helm coming off the books after 2021.

Saw you guys interviewed Mike Gillis. I think he's underrated for his time in Vancouver. His biggest problem is he rubs people the wrong way, but if he ends up as your president of hockey ops, I think you could do much worse. He was ahead of the curve in Vancouver in many aspects (such as scouting networks, analytics, rehab and conditioning etc.), but he rubbed people the wrong way with his attitude and his ownership was a very 'hands on' ownership during his tenure.

On 3/2/2020 at 8:44 AM, Canadian Saint said:

Saw you guys interviewed Mike Gillis. I think he's underrated for his time in Vancouver. His biggest problem is he rubs people the wrong way, but if he ends up as your president of hockey ops, I think you could do much worse. He was ahead of the curve in Vancouver in many aspects (such as scouting networks, analytics, rehab and conditioning etc.), but he rubbed people the wrong way with his attitude and his ownership was a very 'hands on' ownership during his tenure.

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about Gillis. I want Fitzgerald around so I guess, if we did bring in Gillis, it'd have to be as President. Not sure if ownership wants to be "hands on" necessarily, I think they want a groupthink type situation where everyone has a say rather than just one man. Shero didn't really adapt to that and that's one of the reasons why he was fired. Hoping that Fitzgerald can adapt but I don't want to live and die on analytics either, so who knows.