Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Kuokkanen called up. Hopefully in line up tonight

Of course he's not in the line up. 

Apparently it was just in case someone couldn't go. Like, why would you do that? You could have called up Bastian for that kind of fill in crap. Now he misses the Bing game and doesn't play at all? Sometimes these guys do weird things. 

• Like 1

So I read some interesting speculation. Word is, apparently Mathew Barzal might be offer sheeted next summer(as per Friedman). Apparently he wants more offensive freedom than Tortz gives. Speculation says it could come from you guys. Assuming you guys have to give up 4 1st round picks, having 3 1st round picks in one of the deeper drafts in a while could really soften the blow. Do you guys think it's something your team would consider?

20 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

So I read some interesting speculation. Word is, apparently Mathew Barzal might be offer sheeted next summer(as per Friedman). Apparently he wants more offensive freedom than Tortz gives. Speculation says it could come from you guys. Assuming you guys have to give up 4 1st round picks, having 3 1st round picks in one of the deeper drafts in a while could really soften the blow. Do you guys think it's something your team would consider?

Nope. I think this season alone pretty much kills that as it is likely to be a top 7 pick in a draft that is completely stacked in the top 8. To also give up 3 more first rounders for a team that is waaaaaaaaaaaay more than 1 player away shouldn't happen. The team is also in need of defense, not really forwards. I mean, technically we need forwards lol, but the farm system is actually promising there, whereas we have nothing decent on defense in the NHL or in the farm system outside of Ty Smith. They need to give the forward prospects time to develop. Boqvist, Hughes have been disasters in their first year, so they should get better, hopefully, and we have to give them that chance. Merkley is a former first rounder who actually looked pretty good in his call up this year. Kuokkanen has been a strong AHL player for years and just got his first call up last night. Zacha is having the best offensive season of his career (though I think it's mostly smoke and mirrors and would probably trade him at his high point this year because I think he's still a bit of a black hole at 5 on 5). Bratt has really fired it up, Gusev is the real deal, and then you still have Palms and Nico. So there are potentially 2 good lines there with potential for a solid third one. 

It's also unlikely that we end up with Vancouver's pick this year (they won't make the playoffs, I'm reasonably sure), and picks in the teens in this draft is meh, though it would just kick to 2021 unprotected, which is kind of better. 

It would make more sense for us to offer sheet someone like Sergachev than it would Barzal in my opinion. Fleury, Pulock (righty, but I'd still be okay with that), Zadorov, Dunn would make sense. Fleury and Dunn could make a ton of sense because both teams may be facing salary cap crunches (Sergachev with Tampa as well, obviously), and you probably don't have to break the bank in compensation. 

• Like 1

@beekay414 

So if the NHL suspends there season tomorrow, which I suspect will happen, Vancouver is officially out of the playoffs right now. I'm not sure how Nashville has the tie breaker, but apparently they do. 

The playoffs are scheduled for a month from now anyway. I wouldn't be shocked if they basically cancel the regular season and then make it back the cup run. Not fully sure how they would work out the playoffs though

3 hours ago, Forge said:

@beekay414 

So if the NHL suspends there season tomorrow, which I suspect will happen, Vancouver is officially out of the playoffs right now. I'm not sure how Nashville has the tie breaker, but apparently they do. 

The playoffs are scheduled for a month from now anyway. I wouldn't be shocked if they basically cancel the regular season and then make it back the cup run. Not fully sure how they would work out the playoffs though

Sorry, I haven't been online much the past week. Just getting back into the swing of things after my trip to Phoenix. 

Is there actual talk of the NHL suspending the season? I figured they couldn't afford to do it like the NBA can. 

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Sorry, I haven't been online much the past week. Just getting back into the swing of things after my trip to Phoenix. 

Is there actual talk of the NHL suspending the season? I figured they couldn't afford to do it like the NBA can. 

Right now, there was just some scuttle. HF seems to be bracing for it, but the only official word the NHL has put out is that they will re-evaluate today. 

Obviously if the NHL does, the AHL would too, and that would just suck for the magical run that Bing is on right now. 

52 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

We'll see how long it all lasts. 

I think I read it will be a minimum of 4 weeks. Real interesting to see if it goes on longer (I presume it will) what the line in the sand is for the NHL to cancel the season. Being a winter sport, we can't exactly play into summer like the NBA can. I reckon if it's 6 weeks or longer, I have to think they'll scrap the season.

• Like 1