Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

7 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Word on the street (ie. Reddit rumor) you guys wanted ZSC Lions head coach Rikard Gronborg, but ZSC didn't want to release him so he stayed.

While he doesn't have experience in North America, I've been impressed by his teams in international tournaments. Would've been an interesting hire imo.

I Would have been stoked. I'm sad they wouldn't release him. He's only got a year left on his deal. It's too bad the devils couldn't buy it out 

I think gallant is still high on the board, but the thing is, I think we are going to hire Gilles for a position and I don't know that the pieces fit with Gilles / Fitz / Gallant.

14 hours ago, Forge said:

He had a good year this year, but he's a +2 over ager in the ohl on the most stacked team in the league

Connor Corcoran is one name on that list that is interesting. Drafted as a stay-at-home D-man and became a near PPG D-man in his D+2 season. Still very young at 19. Offense steadily improved and has played tough minutes for Windsor. Good skater too.

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

Connor Corcoran is one name on that list that is interesting. Drafted as a stay-at-home D-man and became a near PPG D-man in his D+2 season. Still very young at 19. Offense steadily improved and has played tough minutes for Windsor. Good skater too.

Insane that he's only 19 and about to have his signing rights expire lol

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Reilly Walsh is heading back to Harvard next season. That sucks. Good chance he doesn't sign with the Devils now if he stays there for the year. 

Ah well. Nothing we can do about that. We have a lot of depth in the system, just not that top line guy so he's more of the same. I like him but we will be fine. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Ah well. Nothing we can do about that. We have a lot of depth in the system, just not that top line guy so he's more of the same. I like him but we will be fine. 

Some of the guys on the other board brought up that it may be by design. He can finish at Harvard, sign with us after, play 2 games and burn a year off his ELC this year, which I don't believe that he can do fully if he goes the college FA route. 

Side note, I think that Arizona pick is going to be worse than #10. If Vancouver loses their play in game, looks like we lose their pick this year (though unprotected from Vancouver next year sounds really nice given where that team is). But I'm certainly a little less stoked about that Arizona pick

As posted by someone on HF, I think that this is actually the appropriate rooting: 

1. I'm rooting for the Devs to win the lottery
2. I'm rooting for all lottery slots to be filled by bottom 7 teams.
3. I'm rooting for Arizona to lose the play-in round
4. I'm rooting for Montreal and Chicago to win their play-ins, dropping Arizona's pick to 8th
5. It's debatable, but I'm rooting for Vancouver to lose their play-in to get their unprotected 1st next year
5a. If Vancouver DOES win the play-in, I'm rooting for them to lose in the 1st round and Calgary to make it to the Conference finals, dropping Vancouver's pick to 16th.

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Side note, I think that Arizona pick is going to be worse than #10. If Vancouver loses their play in game, looks like we lose their pick this year (though unprotected from Vancouver next year sounds really nice given where that team is). But I'm certainly a little less stoked about that Arizona pick

At this juncture, I want the unprotected Canucks pick next year. The Arizona pick is whatever as long as they aren't team #8 that wins the lottery or a top 3 spot. 

8 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

At this juncture, I want the unprotected Canucks pick next year. The Arizona pick is whatever as long as they aren't team #8 that wins the lottery or a top 3 spot. 

Yeah, I'm passing on the Vancouver pick until next year, and if we do manage to get it this year, I'm probably trying to trade it. 

The Arizona pick...man...i just really wish that they had kept the rule that the draft positioning doesn't change until the conference finals. I think that they changed that. So if Arizona wins their qualifying round, that pick immediately goes from 10 to at best, #16. If they win another round, I it's at best 24, etc. That really sucks when during this entire period I was hoping to have 2 top 10 picks. They are the perfect team to get hot and win a couple of rounds they shouldn't (though that would help toward the conditions on the second pick) because their goalie has had time to get healthy, they are rested, defensively responsible, etc etc. 

So at this point, I would imagine that we are picking #7 or #8, which isn't great, but could still get of the big guys (though still hoping it's not Perfetti, and honestly almost hoping that it would be sanderson before it would be perfetti...that skating seriously terrifies me). 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I'm passing on the Vancouver pick until next year, and if we do manage to get it this year, I'm probably trying to trade it. 

The Arizona pick...man...i just really wish that they had kept the rule that the draft positioning doesn't change until the conference finals. I think that they changed that. So if Arizona wins their qualifying round, that pick immediately goes from 10 to at best, #16. If they win another round, I it's at best 24, etc. That really sucks when during this entire period I was hoping to have 2 top 10 picks. They are the perfect team to get hot and win a couple of rounds they shouldn't (though that would help toward the conditions on the second pick) because their goalie has had time to get healthy, they are rested, defensively responsible, etc etc. 

So at this point, I would imagine that we are picking #7 or #8, which isn't great, but could still get of the big guys (though still hoping it's not Perfetti, and honestly almost hoping that it would be sanderson before it would be perfetti...that skating seriously terrifies me). 

I'm just gonna be patient and see what happens. I think we're in line to get someone very good regardless. I know who I want (Drysdale, Stutzle, Rossi) but they likely don't make our pick so it's whatever. 

I've kinda tempered off sports since this whole pandemic (outside of the NFL Draft) so I've gotta get back into the swing of things again if this is gonna get going. IIRC, we have a month until the 1st portion of the lottery so project away! lol

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'm just gonna be patient and see what happens. I think we're in line to get someone very good regardless. I know who I want (Drysdale, Stutzle, Rossi) but they likely don't make our pick so it's whatever. 

I've kinda tempered off sports since this whole pandemic (outside of the NFL Draft) so I've gotta get back into the swing of things again if this is gonna get going. IIRC, we have a month until the 1st portion of the lottery so project away! lol

Yeah, it sucks how back logged this entire thing is. Long time between anything remotely interesting going on. I will say that I am a little happy that they delayed with regards to the draft, if only so that player trades could happen. I'm really curious to see how Tampa gets their way through the mess that they are in right now. I really want us to put in a good trade offer for Sergachev. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, it sucks how back logged this entire thing is. Long time between anything remotely interesting going on. I will say that I am a little happy that they delayed with regards to the draft, if only so that player trades could happen. I'm really curious to see how Tampa gets their way through the mess that they are in right now. I really want us to put in a good trade offer for Sergachev. 

Where would we start with Sergachev? I don't think they'd move him at all. They'd find a way to move other pieces before they felt the need to trade him IMO.

10 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Where would we start with Sergachev? I don't think they'd move him at all. They'd find a way to move other pieces before they felt the need to trade him IMO.

The problem they have pushed themselves into is that all of the guys they need to trade seriously have no trade clauses lol. Johnson / Gourde / Palat / Killorn, all have no trades. So theoretically, they could all push back and refuse to go. I don't think that will happen, but they have to brace for everything. If that is the case, they are in some trouble because he's not the only high level rfa they have (Cirelli is a free agent, as is Cernak). This wouldn't be the first time either; it wasn't that long ago that they had to trade Drouin coming off a 50+ point season out of his ELC when he was 21; that's how they got Sergachev lol. 

If the Arizona pick ends up in that 10/11 space, I'd certainly offer that straight up for him. I think that could honestly get it done as well. If they want something more immediate, i think it comes from Ty Smith. Someone mentioned Ty + Vancouvers pick if we got it this year (so they'd have to make the playoffs and the pick be 16 or higher...so really not all that great), and I'd think long and hard about that. I'd probably ask for TB's second back as well, but it's a fairly close deal, I think. 

Then I'd maybe take that second + the Islanders second + cap dump like Jake Allen (good to split time with Mac) from St louis for Dunn 

If they would rather move Cirelli, I'm good to make an offer there as well, though I don't think it would be as strong as any offer for Sergachev. 

For Cirelli it'd probably be like Zacha + some other piece.