Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The problem they have pushed themselves into is that all of the guys they need to trade seriously have no trade clauses lol. Johnson / Gourde / Palat / Killorn, all have no trades. So theoretically, they could all push back and refuse to go. I don't think that will happen, but they have to brace for everything. If that is the case, they are in some trouble because he's not the only high level rfa they have (Cirelli is a free agent, as is Cernak). This wouldn't be the first time either; it wasn't that long ago that they had to trade Drouin coming off a 50+ point season out of his ELC when he was 21; that's how they got Sergachev lol. 

If the Arizona pick ends up in that 10/11 space, I'd certainly offer that straight up for him. I think that could honestly get it done as well. If they want something more immediate, i think it comes from Ty Smith. Someone mentioned Ty + Vancouvers pick if we got it this year (so they'd have to make the playoffs and the pick be 16 or higher...so really not all that great), and I'd think long and hard about that. I'd probably ask for TB's second back as well, but it's a fairly close deal, I think. 

Then I'd maybe take that second + the Islanders second + cap dump like Jake Allen (good to split time with Mac) from St louis for Dunn 

I want no part in trading Ty Smith. 

I also don't see why St. Louis would trade Dunn. 

I dunno. We project these types of trades all the time but the cap strapped teams always find a way out of their situations without losing anything of value (outside of 1st rounders to drop dead weight). Just look at how easily Boston got rid of Backes. All it took was a 1st and they even got back a valuable piece in that deal (Kase).

28 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I want no part in trading Ty Smith. 

I also don't see why St. Louis would trade Dunn. 

I dunno. We project these types of trades all the time but the cap strapped teams always find a way out of their situations without losing anything of value (outside of 1st rounders to drop dead weight). Just look at how easily Boston got rid of Backes. All it took was a 1st and they even got back a valuable piece in that deal (Kase).

I would 100% trade him for Sergachev. One is already a 40 point NHL defenseman, the other couldn't make the team (looked quite dreadful tbh) in his draft +2 year. Sergachev is also only 18 months older. That's a no brainer to me. The only question is what the plus is from me in that situation. Smith is a complete unknown and Sergachev is lining up to be a top pairing defender, which is very difficult to find. I think Smith will like be a solid NHL defender, I think Serg is already that and could possibly be a top pairing type. 

St louis shouldn't trade Dunn, but seems like he could be on the market according to their fans. I don't quite understand it, but I'm starting to feel like he may be their version of Miles Wood? Their money issues aren't really worrisome. A lot of those guys can be dealt and at worst have modified no move clauses. They handled it slightly better than Tampa. They can create plenty of space to re-sign Pietrangelo.

These trades do happen. Sometimes for older quality players, sometimes for the good, young RFA. That's how Tampa got Sergachev in the first place. They had to trade Drouin because they couldn't afford him. Subban (regardless of how that worked out for us) was the same way if you look at the older vets (and there are numerous other examples).  They were making that deal regardless. Obviously Toronto unloaded a first to dump Marleau. We got Marjo, Palmieri both because their teams couldn't afford them (Palms is actually a little different, it was sort of a team inflicted cap and involved a weird roster thing involving tags), but that's certainly how we got Goose. Caps traded Burakovsky; Jordan Eberle to the Islanders, etc. I will agree that that they are seldom the 21 quality RAF like Sergachev is, but also not completely out of the question. 

If they have to trade one of their guys though, I think it would have to be Cirelli over Sergachev, though they could cash a lot of value on Sergachev. 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

I would 100% trade him for Sergachev. One is already a 40 point NHL defenseman, the other couldn't make the team (looked quite dreadful tbh) in his draft +2 year. Sergachev is also only 18 months older. That's a no brainer to me. The only question is what the plus is from me in that situation. Smith is a complete unknown and Sergachev is lining up to be a top pairing defender, which is very difficult to find. I think Smith will like be a solid NHL defender, I think Serg is already that and could possibly be a top pairing type.

You're also paying Sergachev far earlier than you would Smith. I'm not trading Smith and a 1st to a team that's cap strapped and then paying the guy $5-7 Million right away. We still have 3 years of Smith's ELC and Smith has a high upside as well. I still believe in Smith a ton regardless of how much the fan base may have soured on him. I'm also not putting a ton of stock in Sergachev's point totals on such an electric offensive team. I dunno. I like Sergachev enough to take a shot on him but I don't like him enough to trade Ty Smith. If I'm trading Ty Smith, he's part of a package for a proven top pairing guy, not a "could be" like Sergachev.

Also, just a correction but Sergachev is 21 months older than Smith, not 18 (March 2000 vs June 1998).

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

You're also paying Sergachev far earlier than you would Smith. I'm not trading Smith and a 1st to a team that's cap strapped and then paying the guy $5-7 Million right away. We still have 3 years of Smith's ELC and Smith has a high upside as well. I still believe in Smith a ton regardless of how much the fan base may have soured on him. I'm also not putting a ton of stock in Sergachev's point totals on such an electric offensive team. I dunno. I like Sergachev enough to take a shot on him but I don't like him enough to trade Ty Smith. If I'm trading Ty Smith, he's part of a package for a proven top pairing guy, not a "could be" like Sergachev.

Also, just a correction but Sergachev is 21 months older than Smith, not 18 (March 2000 vs June 1998).

I don't care about the money. Its largely irrelevant to the team as it currently stands. We aren't going to use all the space that we have as it is, just like we didn't this year. We were like 10 million below the cap. So that definitely doesn't bug me. 

I don't think anyone has soured too much on Smith, though I think a lot of the fans on HF were given a bit of a jolt when he didn't make the roster lol. I think a lot of people just look at it like they think Sergachev is better and they'd want to take the known quantity, especially with that known quantity having a sky high ceiling still (he was a top 10 pick, after all). Smith did win defenseman of the year again, but it's hard to say what that really means tbh; as a double over ager, I feel like he probably should have won it lol.  I think he's still going to be a quality player...assuming the Devils ever learn how to develop players. But I know Sergachev is, I don't need to think it.  So I just consider Serg an upgrade and the question for me is how big of an upgrade and how much should said upgrade cost. 

The concerns on his offensive game for an offensive juggernaut is fair. I mean, after all, Will Butcher had 44 points his first year with us and we damn sure weren't an offensive juggernaut. Adam Fox had 42 for the Rags this year. I do think that he's a quality, all around defender though. 

I would give up Arizona's pick in a heartbeat for him, even if it were #10. That's probably a straight up trade though.  I'd definitely give up Vancouver's. I'd give up Vancouvers first + other pieces as well, though I'm not sure what the other piece is. I don't think that they need Zacha. Reilly Walsh would actually make a ton of sense as they need an RD, but he'd have to be ready to play and be willing to sign. But I'd do Walsh + Vancouvers pick for him. For Smith it comes down to the add. I do think that Smith + 1st is a lot. I get why it's a lot, but it's a lot lol. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't care about the money. Its largely irrelevant to the team as it currently stands. We aren't going to use all the space that we have as it is, just like we didn't this year. We were like 10 million below the cap. So that definitely doesn't bug me. 

I don't think anyone has soured too much on Smith, though I think a lot of the fans on HF were given a bit of a jolt when he didn't make the roster lol. I think a lot of people just look at it like they think Sergachev is better and they'd want to take the known quantity, especially with that known quantity having a sky high ceiling still (he was a top 10 pick, after all). Smith did win defenseman of the year again, but it's hard to say what that really means tbh; as a double over ager, I feel like he probably should have won it lol.  I think he's still going to be a quality player...assuming the Devils ever learn how to develop players. But I know Sergachev is, I don't need to think it.  So I just consider Serg an upgrade and the question for me is how big of an upgrade and how much should said upgrade cost. 

The concerns on his offensive game for an offensive juggernaut is fair. I mean, after all, Will Butcher had 44 points his first year with us and we damn sure weren't an offensive juggernaut. Adam Fox had 42 for the Rags this year. I do think that he's a quality, all around defender though. 

I would give up Arizona's pick in a heartbeat for him, even if it were #10. That's probably a straight up trade though.  I'd definitely give up Vancouver's. I'd give up Vancouvers first + other pieces as well, though I'm not sure what the other piece is. I don't think that they need Zacha. Reilly Walsh would actually make a ton of sense as they need an RD, but he'd have to be ready to play and be willing to sign. But I'd do Walsh + Vancouvers pick for him. For Smith it comes down to the add. I do think that Smith + 1st is a lot. I get why it's a lot, but it's a lot lol. 

I'm more than fine going after Sergachev, obviously, but I don't see the need to involve Smith in those talks. I'd try to use Vancouver's 2021 unprotected pick back to the Lightning for him plus other assets. Basically, anything other than Smith and our 1st is fair game. Maybe Tampa would value controllable depth and that pick? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Side note, you should have seen the conversation when it came out that the devils wanted to speak with Gronborg. It was wierd. Some people were stoked while others were freaking out lol. 

I really haven't been on HF at all lately. Those threads move relatively quick and half the time is filled with nonsense or the same stuff for the 100th time so I just choose to pass over them and go to the latest stuff. So, if I don't keep up daily, I get lost immediately lol.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I really haven't been on HF at all lately. Those threads move relatively quick and half the time is filled with nonsense or the same stuff for the 100th time so I just choose to pass over them and go to the latest stuff. So, if I don't keep up daily, I get lost immediately lol.

I'm in and out...I get super active sometimes...and then other times, I'm just like "oof...". That's when I get posts deleted and mod warnings saying leave the digs out of it (which, to be fair, wasn't a dig. I called him obtuse...and maybe hinted that he had just learned how to read so perhaps wasn't great at it yet. I stand by it)

Some of the the things that get said really make you need to take a break. That Swiss Prodigy guy for example was seriously trying to convince everyone that the lottery set up was a joke and we got hosed because the 8-15 teams that lose in the qualifying round have a better chance to win the lotto than we do because if they win the first lottery, there's only 7 other teams to compete with in the second lotto. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm in and out...I get super active sometimes...and then other times, I'm just like "oof...". That's when I get posts deleted and mod warnings saying leave the digs out of it (which, to be fair, wasn't a dig. I called him obtuse...and maybe hinted that he had just learned how to read so perhaps wasn't great at it yet. I stand by it)

Some of the the things that get said really make you need to take a break. That Swiss Prodigy guy for example was seriously trying to convince everyone that the lottery set up was a joke and we got hosed because the 8-15 teams that lose in the qualifying round have a better chance to win the lotto than we do because if they win the first lottery, there's only 7 other teams to compete with in the second lotto. 

I was reading that lol. The internet never fails to be bad at math. I just laughed trying to figure out how 7.5% is worse than ~3%?

• Like 1

Pronman's Top 122

Alexis Lafreniere
LW
Rimouski
QMJHL
Quinton Byfield
C
Sudbury
OHL
Tim Stutzle
LW
Mannheim
DEL
Lucas Raymond
LW
Frolunda
SHL
Cole Perfetti
C
Saginaw
OHL
Alexander Holtz
RW
Djurgarden
SHL
Jamie Drysdale
D
Erie
OHL
Yaroslav Askarov
G
SKA
VHL
Marco Rossi
C
Ottawa
OHL
Connor Zary
C
Kamloops
WHL
Dawson Mercer
C
Chicoutimi
QMJHL
Seth Jarvis
C
Portland
WHL
Jake Sanderson
D
USNTDP
USHL
Brendan Brisson
C
Chicago
USHL
Rodion Amirov
LW
Ufa
KHL
Anton Lundell
C
HIFK
Liiga
Jacob Perreault
RW
Sarnia
OHL
Mavrik Bourque
C
Shawinigan
QMJHL
Jeremie Poirier
D
Saint John
QMJHL
John-Jason Peterka
RW
Munich
DEL
Jack Quinn
RW
Ottawa
OHL
Dylan Holloway
C
Wisconsin
Big 10
Braden Schneider
D
Brandon
WHL
Hendrix Lapierre
C
Chicoutimi
QMJHL
Lukas Reichel
LW
Berlin
DEL
Sam Colangelo
RW
Chicago
USHL
Noel Gunler
RW
Lulea
SHL
Marat Khusnutdinov
C
SKA
MHL
Justin Barron
D
Halifax
QMJHL
Vasily Ponomarev
C
Shawinigan
QMJHL
Emil Andrae
D
HV71
J20SuperElit
Ozzy Wiesblatt
C
Prince Albert
WHL
Thomas Bordeleau
C
USNTDP
USHL
Kaiden Guhle
D
Prince Albert
WHL
Roni Hirvonen
C
Assat
Liiga
Topi Niemela
D
Karpat
Liiga
Ridly Greig
C
Brandon
WHL
Jake Neighbours
LW
Edmonton
WHL
Justin Sourdif
RW
Vancouver
WHL
Lukas Cormier
D
Charlottetown
QMJHL
Zion Nybeck
LW
HV71
SHL
Kasper Simontaival
RW
Tappara
Jr. A Liiga
Jan Mysak
C
Hamilton
OHL
Connor McClennon
RW
Winnipeg
WHL
Pavel Gogolev
LW
Guelph
OHL
Tyson Foerster
RW
Barrie
OHL
Egor Sokolov
LW
Cape Breton
QMJHL
Ty Smilanic
C
USNTDP
USHL
Jean-Luc Foudy
C
Windsor
OHL
Helge Grans
D
Malmo
SHL
Shakir Mukhamadullin
D
Ufa
KHL
Maxim Groshev
RW
Nizhnekamsk
KHL
Daniil Gushchin
LW
Muskegon
USHL
Alexander Pashin
RW
Ufa
MHL
Ryan Francis
RW
Cape Breton
QMJHL
Daemon Hunt
D
Moose Jaw
WHL
Donovan Sebrango
D
Kitchener
OHL
Will Cuylle
LW
Windsor
OHL
Yan Kuznetsov
D
Connecticut
H-East
Martin Chromiak
RW
Kingston
OHL
Joel Blomqvist
G
Karpat
Jr. A Liiga
Ryan O'Rourke
D
Sault Ste. Marie
OHL
Sean Farrell
C
Chicago
USHL
Pavel Novak
RW
Kelowna
WHL
Anton Johannesson
D
HV71
J20 SuperElit
Drew Commesso
G
USNTDP
USHL
Dylan Garand
G
Kamloops
WHL
Brandon Coe
RW
North Bay
OHL
Cross Hanas
LW
Portland
WHL
Daniil Gutik
LW
Yaroslavl
MHL
Roby Jarventie
LW
Koovee
Mestis
Joni Jurmo
D
Jokerit
Jr. A Liiga
William Wallinder
D
MODO
Allsvenskan
Tristen Robins
RW
Saskatoon
WHL
Antonio Stranges
LW
London
OHL
Maxim Berezkin
LW
Yaroslavl
MHL
Dylan Peterson
RW
USNTDP
USHL
Alexander Gordin
RW
SKA
MHL
William Villeneuve
D
Saint John
QMJHL
Brock Faber
D
USNTDP
USHL
Alexander Nikishin
D
Spartak
KHL
Tyler Tullio
RW
Oshawa
OHL
Luke Tuch
LW
USNTDP
USHL
Daniel Torgersson
LW
Frolunda
J20 SuperElit
Wyatt Kaiser
D
Andover
US High School
Theo Rochette
C
Quebec
QMJHL
Theodor Niederbach
C
Frolunda
J20 SuperElit
Senna Peeters
RW
Halifax
QMJHL
Kasper Puutio
D
Everett
WHL
Eamon Powell
D
USNTDP
USHL
Evan Vierling
C
Barrie
OHL
Jaromir Pytlik
C
Sault Ste. Marie
OHL
Emil Heineman
C
Leksands
SHL
Mitchell Miller
D
Tri-City
USHL
Brett Berard
LW
USNTDP
USHL
Amir Miftakhov
G
Kazan
VHL
Ivan Didkovskiy
RW
Dynamo Moscow
MHL
Adam Wilsby
D
Sodertalje
Allsvenskan
Evgeny Oksentyuk
LW
Flint
OHL
Ryder Rolston
RW
Waterloo
USHL
Bogdan Trineyev
RW
Dynamo Moscow
MHL
Luke Evangelista
RW
London
OHL
William Dufour
RW
Drummondville
QMJHL
Artur Akhtyamov
G
Kazan
MHL
Oskar Magnusson
LW
Malmo
J20 SuperElit
Carter Savoie
LW
Sherwood Park
AJHL
Alex Jefferies
LW
The Gunnery
US High School
Michael Benning
D
Sherwood Park
AJHL
Ian Moore
D
St. Mark's School
US High School
Joonas Oden
RW
KooKoo
Liiga
Jan Bednar
G
Karlovy Vary
Czech Extraliga
Oliver Suni
RW
Oshawa
OHL
Eemil Viro
D
TPS
Liiga
Nico Daws
G
Guelph
OHL
Dylan Jackson
RW
Dubuque
USHL
Veeti Miettinen
RW
Espoo
Jr. A Liiga
Blake Biondi
C
Hermantown
US High School
Yegor Chinakhov
RW
Omsk
MHL
Taylor Gauthier
G
Prince George
WHL
Vsevolod Skotnikov
G
CSKA
MHL
Calle Clang
G
Rogle
J20 SuperElit
Lassi Lehtinen
G
Lukko
Liiga

• Like 2

Some notable omissions 

Carson Bantle | LW | Madison (USHL)
Alex Cotton | RHD | Lethbridge (WHL)
Jack Finley | C | Spokane (WHL)
Tyler Kleven | LHD | USNTDP (USHL)
Thimo Nickl | RHD | Drummondville (QMJHL)
Ronan Seeley | LHD | Everett (WHL)
Jack Thompson | RHD | Sudbury (OHL)
Zayde Wisdom | C | Kingston (OHL)

Edited by beekay414

I thought Rossi was far too low. Quinn is 10 spots too low. Glad Lundell is that low (I'm not sure I see the upside). Zary is too high. I understand rating Raymond that high. I'm not a huge believer in Sanderson. I think Mysak is too low. Big call on rating Gogolev that high after being passed over twice.

I thought Seeley is a big omission, thought he was one fo the better D-man in his own zone and very consistent.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

I thought Rossi was far too low. Quinn is 10 spots too low. Glad Lundell is that low (I'm not sure I see the upside). Zary is too high. I understand rating Raymond that high. I'm not a huge believer in Sanderson. I think Mysak is too low. Big call on rating Gogolev that high after being passed over twice.

I thought Seeley is a big omission, thought he was one fo the better D-man in his own zone and very consistent.

He's too high on Perfetti too. I don't understand having him so high given the skating problems. Looking over that list, that's one of the things I'm noticing - Pronman isn't docking as hard for skating as a lot of people do. The Zary ranking is another good indication of that, as is Perreault. If Zary were a good skater, that would be an absolutely legit ranking (that's not to say that having him at 10 as opposed to 17 is super crazy or anything, but yeah, probably higher than he should be). 

I'm surprised he's got Benning so low. I would 100% jump on that if he's there in the 4th round. 

Zion Nybeck is a big omission for me. I know that he's super tiny, and I'm assuming that is what he is getting docked for, but he's got skill and can play. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Zion Nybeck is a big omission for me. I know that he's super tiny, and I'm assuming that is what he is getting docked for, but he's got skill and can play. 

Jack Finley is the biggest omission for me. I get that the NHL is going smaller and faster but Finley is a good skater for his size and is one of the better two way forwards in the draft. He's going to be a PK stalwart once he fills out his frame.  

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1