Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I read that earlier. I had read reports that bean was a guy who has to be protected and could get chosen. I would hope given the state of our blue line that we would make a trade for him prior to that happening

I'm hoping Fitzy does everything in his power to fix our left side. We've got Bahl, Misyul an Okhotyuk but we need a top pairing guy. At this point, I'm not willing to move Smith off the right side. He's a stud there so why force him to his natural side when he's not comfortable there? It's part of the reason why I really want Sanderson or Guhle.

On 6/30/2020 at 11:31 PM, beekay414 said:

So, here's a long shot, never gonna happen, type question...

We use our pick to land a sure fire stud forward (say Marco Rossi), right? Would you be willing to use Arizona's AND Vancouver's pick to get Sergachev AND Dunn? Both St. Louis and Tampa are really tight against the cap and, with it staying stagnant over the next few seasons, they could possibly both be had for those picks. 

Say we trade Reilly Walsh's rights and Vancouver's pick (unprotected 2021) or Arizona's pick (higher this year) to Tampa for Sergachev and then turn around and trade the other pick straight up for Dunn and, say, St. Louis's 3rd. How big of a pipe dream is that? Is that something you'd even consider? Or do you think there's a way to get Dunn without giving up a 1st? 

St. Louis has to pay Pietrangelo and they have literally nothing of any significance coming off the books AND he's due for a raise. The only way they can retain Dunn is by moving on from Pietrangelo tbh because I don't think anyone is taking on Steen, Bozak or Perron's deal for a late first with a flat cap.

Tampa's in the same situation and they have to pay Cernak, Sergachev and Cirelli with only around $5 Million coming off the books completely (not including those guys ELC hits). I'm not sure Tampa would turn down a cheap ELC defenseman and a top 10/11 pick in 2020 or a high pick in 2021 in return for Sergachev.

100% I'd trade both if those picks for them. The problem is the Tampa trade. They are going to lose Shattenkirk as well, so they are going to need someone that can come in and play. 

Tampa will have a hard time with the cap for sure, though killorn only has a modified no trade, so they will likely be able to clear him off the books. If I were them, I'd trade cirelli. I don't think he's as good as he seems and I think he's a guy will be overpaid and they could get great value

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

100% I'd trade both if those picks for them. The problem is the Tampa trade. They are going to lose Shattenkirk as well, so they are going to need someone that can come in and play. 

Tampa will have a hard time with the cap for sure, though killorn only has a modified no trade, so they will likely be able to clear him off the books. If I were them, I'd trade cirelli. I don't think he's as good as he seems and I think he's a guy will be overpaid and they could get great value

Play the right side, I'm assuming? I know he's worthless but I'd throw in Carrick. 

I dunno, I fully expect them to move Cernak or Cirelli instead of Sergachev but I'd try to entice them with that 1st and Walsh. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

Play the right side, I'm assuming? I know he's worthless but I'd throw in Carrick. 

I dunno, I fully expect them to move Cernak or Cirelli instead of Sergachev but I'd try to entice them with that 1st and Walsh. 

Cernak is an interesting guy tbh. Plays the wrong side, but I'd be interested because he's definitely the type we could use. Would be a good partner for Smith if we did move Smith to the left. He may benefit from Tampa, hard to say. 

I'd be casting a super wide net for defense this off-season. I'd look into sergachev, Dunn, cernak, hanafin, zadorov, gavrikov, graves, niku, etc. But yeah, I'm all in in trying to fix that as well as possible

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Cernak is an interesting guy tbh. Plays the wrong side, but I'd be interested because he's definitely the type we could use. Would be a good partner for Smith if we did move Smith to the left. He may benefit from Tampa, hard to say. 

I'd be casting a super wide net for defense this off-season. I'd look into sergachev, Dunn, cernak, hanafin, zadorov, gavrikov, graves, niku, etc. But yeah, I'm all in in trying to fix that as well as possible

Yep. We just need Fitzy to be proactive. We can't rely on the draft. Sanderson is probably gone before #7 and we're not guaranteed to get 3 picks this draft so I don't want to overdraft Guhle with Arizona's pick (Schneider is a RHD). We've got to be proactive, now. We've got Jack on his ELC and Nico's first extension kicks in. We're closer than most think but we need to be savvy as hell with this new flat cap. 

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

Yep. We just need Fitzy to be proactive. We can't rely on the draft. Sanderson is probably gone before #7 and we're not guaranteed to get 3 picks this draft so I don't want to overdraft Guhle with Arizona's pick (Schneider is a RHD). We've got to be proactive, now. We've got Jack on his ELC and Nico's first extension kicks in. We're closer than most think but we need to be savvy as hell with this new flat cap. 

If Arizona wins their play in along with Vancouver, we better not make both of those picks in the 20+ range. Go get someone

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

If Arizona wins their play in along with Vancouver, we better not make both of those picks in the 20+ range. Go get someone

I think Fitzy, should he get the job, is going to be proactive. Especially in this economy. We have the space, others are screwed. Make something of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I think Fitzy, should he get the job, is going to be proactive. Especially in this economy. We have the space, others are screwed. Make something of it.

With the cap being flat, I'm wondering if he'll put on multi year contacts this year. Free agency should almost be a lock to be mostly single year desks for mid tier guys, so if we went out and got Dillon, I'd feel pretty confident it's short term. 

I don't think he'll take on bad contracts for futures, which I'm happy about. If we are bailing people out money wise, I'm assuming it's for good rfas that a team can no longer afford

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

With the cap being flat, I'm wondering if he'll put on multi year contacts this year. Free agency should almost be a lock to be mostly single year desks for mid tier guys, so if we went out and got Dillon, I'd feel pretty confident it's short term. 

I don't think he'll take on bad contracts for futures, which I'm happy about. If we are bailing people out money wise, I'm assuming it's for good rfas that a team can no longer afford

I do think Dillon is going to be our primary target. If I could guess the two main guys we sign, I'd guess Dillon and Craig Smith.

This is probably my favorite draft that I've done so far, with only 1 realistic trade back.

7. Marco Rossi, C/LW
11. Jack Quinn, RW
16. Traded to Carolina for 19 and 69
19. Kaiden Guhle, LHD
69. Tyler Kleven, LHD
99. Tristen Robins, RW
124. Kasper Puutio, RHD
130. Ben King, C
161. Mason Langenbrunner, RHD or Alex Jefferies, W (couldn't decide so either or)

• Like 1

Got bored, did a 2 round mock (round 3, maybe 4, coming later)...Pittsburgh won the lottery lol.

Round 1
1. Pittsburgh - Alexis Lafreniere | LW | Rimouski (QMJHL)
2. LA Kings - Quinton Byfield | C | Sudbury (OHL)
3. Ottawa - Tim Stutzle | C/LW | Alder Mannheim (DEL)
4. Detroit - Cole Perfetti | C/LW | Saginaw (OHL)
5. Ottawa - Jamie Drysdale | RD | Erie (OHL)
6. Anaheim - Jake Sanderson | LD | USNTDP (USHL)
7. NJ Devils - Marco Rossi | C/LW | Ottawa (OHL)
8. Buffalo - Alexander Holtz | RW | DJurgardens (SHL)
9. Montreal - Hendrix Lapierre | C | Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
10. Chicago - Lucas Raymond | RW | Frolunda (SHL)
11. NJ Devils - Jack Quinn | RW | Ottawa (OHL)
12. Minnesota - Connor Zary | C | Kamloops (WHL)
13. Winnipeg - Braden Schneider | RD | Brandon (WHL)
14. Calgary - Anton Lundell | C | HIFK (Liiga)
15. NY Rangers - Noel Gunler | RW | Lulea (SHL)
16. NJ Devils - Kaiden Guhle | LD | Prince Albert (WHL)
17. Nashville - Yaroslav Askarov | G | SKA (VHL)
18. Florida - Rodion Amirov | LW | Ufa (KHL)
19. Columbus - Marat Khusnutdinov | C | SKA-1946 (MHL)
20. Carolina - Dawson Mercer | RW | Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
21. Edmonton - Jan Mysak | LW | Hamilton (OHL)
22. Ottawa - Tyson Foerster | C | USNTDP (USHL)
23. NY Rangers - Brendan Brisson | C | Chicago (USHL)
24. Dallas - Justin Barron | RD | Halifax (QMJHL)
25. Vegas - Seth Jarvis | RW | Portland (WHL)
26. Philadelphia - Jacob Perreault | RW | Sarnia (OHL)
27. Washington - Jeremie Poirier | LD | Saint John (QMJHL)
28. SJ Sharks - JJ Peterka | RW | Munchen (DEL)
29. Colorado - Martin Chromiak | LW | Kingston (OHL)
30. St. Louis - Dylan Holloway | LW | Wisconsin (NCAA)
31. Anaheim - Vasili Ponomaryov | C | Shawinigan (QMJHL)

Round 2
32. Detroit - Mavrik Bourque | C | Shawinigan (QMJHL)
33. Ottawa - Lukas Cormier | LD | Charlottetown (QMJHL)
34. SJ Sharks - Lukas Reichel | LW | Berlin (DEL)
35. LA Kings - Sam Colangelo | RW | Chicago (USHL)
36. Anaheim - Helge Grans | RD | Malmo J20 (SuperElit)
37. Nashville - Emil Andrae | LD | HV71 J20 (SuperElit)
38. Buffalo - Jake Neighbours | LW | Edmonton (WHL)
39. Montreal - William Wallinder | LD | MODO J20 (SuperElit)
40. Montreal - Topi Niemela | RD | Karpat (Liiga)
41. Arizona - Thomas Bordeleau | C | USNTDP (USHL)
42. Minnesota - Ridly Greig | C/LW | Brandon (WHL)
43. Winnipeg - Zion Nybeck | RW | HV71 J20 (SuperElit)
44. Calgary - William Villenueve | RD | Saint John (QMJHL)
45. Carolina - Ty Smilanic | C | USNTDP (USHL)
46. LA Kings - Ryan O'Rourke | LD | Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
47. Nashville - Jean-Luc Foudy | C | Windsor (OHL)
48. Florida - Joni Jurmo | LD | Jokerit U20 (Jr A SM-liiga)
49. Ottawa - Carter Savoie | LW | Sherwood Park (AJHL)
50. Toronto - Ozzy Weisblatt | RW | Prince Albert (WHL)
51. Detroit - Daniil Gushchin | RW/LW | Muskegon (USHL)
52. Ottawa - Kasper Simontaival | RW | Tappara U20 (Jr. A SM-liiga)
53. Carolina - Shakir Mukhamadullin | LD | Ufa (KHL)
54. Chicago - Roni Hirvonen | C | Assat (Liiga)
55. Ottawa - Daniel Torgersson | LW/RW | Frolunda J20 (SuperElit)
56. LA Kings - Will Cuyle | LW | Windsor (OHL)
57. Philadelphia - Jaromir Pytlik | C | Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
58. Detroit - Anton Johannesson | LD | HV71 J20 (SuperElit)
59. Tampa Bay - Alexander Pashin | RW/LW | Ufa (MHL)
60. SJ Sharks - Eemil Viro | LD | TPS (Liiga)
61. Montreal - Pavel Novak | RW | Kelowna (WHL)
62. Boston - Zayde Wisdom | RW | Kingston (OHL)

Edited by beekay414

Draft
~ Vancouver loses to Minnesota in the qualifying round so their pick transfers to 2021. Arizona loses to Nashville but does not win the lottery, we pick 10th as Chicago wins the draft lottery.

1. Chicago - Alexis Lafreniere | LW | Rimouski (QMJHL)
2. LA Kings - Quinton Byfield | C | Sudbury (OHL)
3. Ottawa - Tim Stutzle | C/LW | Mannheim (DEL)
4. Detroit - Cole Perfetti | LW | Saginaw (OHL)
5. Ottawa - Jamie Drysdale | RD | Erie (OHL)
6. Anaheim - Jake Sanderson | LD | USNTDP (USHL)
7. NJ Devils - Marco Rossi | C/LW | Ottawa (OHL)
8. Buffalo - Alexander Holtz | RW | Djurgardens (SHL)
9. Montreal - Anton Lundell | C | HIFK (Liiga) 
10. NJ Devils - Lucas Raymond | RW | Frolunda (SHL)

Free Agency
Sign LW Alex Galchenyuk to a 2 year/$6 Million contract
Sign RW Jesper Fast to a 2 year/$5 Million contract
Sign LD Brenden Dillon to a 3 year/$9.75 Million contract
Sign LD Andy Greene to a 1 year/$1.5 Million contract
Buyout G Cory Schneider ($2 Million cap hit through 23/24)
Sign G Anton Khubodin to a 3 year/$9 Million contract

Depth Chart
Jesper Bratt | Nico Hischier | Nikita Gusev
Alex Galchenyuk | Jack Hughes | Kyle Palmieri
Janne Kuokkanen | Pavel Zacha | Jesper Fast
Miles Wood | Travis Zajac | Joey Anderson
Brett Seney

Brenden Dillon | Damon Severson
Will Butcher | PK Subban
Andy Greene | Ty Smith
Mirco Mueller | Connor Carrick

Mackenzie Blackwood | Anton Khubodin

Notes
With the Galchenyuk signing and Kuokkanen absolutely deserving time in the NHL, we give Jesper Boqvist a full season in the AHL, should there be a season. If not, either send Boqvist overseas for consistent playing time or keep him as the reserve forward so he can skate with the big club (instead of Seney). The uncertainty around the AHL kills this situation tbh. Boqvist needs a full season in Bingo after being yoyo'd by Hynes and company in 19/20. 

Now, onto the defense. The pickings were pretty damn slim so I did my best. I know Dillon is turning 30 in November and we're always on the "don't sign guys on the wrong side of 30" wagon but I think we need his style of dman until the youth is ready. It's a 3 year deal so that last year, you'd hope that 2 or 3 of Vuk, Misyul, Bahl or Okhotyuk would be ready by then. If they are ready sooner, and we're still not competing yet, you can easily move Dillon on that deal.

Yes, Andy Greene returns. I think he'd be an ideal partner for Smith and allows him to play his game without having too much responsibility in his own zone right off the bat. I want the kid on the right side. I want him comfortable and able to reach his ceiling.

I know that Schneider and Khubodin are almost identical age wise (Cory's 2 months older) but Cory's completely shot while Khubodin has proven to be a viable #2 who can play extended games and still be highly effective. He's the ideal #2 to Blackwood so we don't friggin' burn the kid out while we're still rebuilding/retooling. Yes, I know with the $2 Million buyout hit and the $3 Million AAV on Khubodin, it's basically having a 34 year old $5 Million goalie but Khubodin is worth it IMO and Cory's done. I'd honestly go as high as $4 Million AAV for Khubodin but on 2 years, not 3. Ideally, Cory would know he was done, retires, becomes the goaltending coach on the next staff and his cap hit is off the books thanks to the new CBA.

EDIT - Made changes to the contracts and added signing Jesper Fast.

EDIT #2 - There's also the possibility that Rossi makes the team in this scenario but I didn't want to get too far ahead of myself with that. 

Edited by beekay414