Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

19 hours ago, Forge said:

Lol.

Not going to lie ..I dislike our ownership.

That being said, we did this for the good of all. Apparently league people want chia in the role for Arizona lol

If Chia is there then Hall won't sign. He hates Chia with a burning passion. This is a 76ers Bryan Colangelo situation all over again. That offer to Hall is a brutal contract for a player of Hall's capability, but bloody hell if that's what he's getting some team is going to get a steal.

Also, if the NHL judges that Chayka can join you guys, I honestly see him joining your organization in a wide role to do with analytics. Your owners own so many teams, I think Chayka looks at it as an opportunity to make millions for his analytics company (and possibly his 9 Wendy's franchises).

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah I saw that earlier today. Hope it works out. 

Will be crazy if it doesn't. Jack Drury has already bounced to the shl. Others would follow to there and other leagues I have no doubt. Lots of kids would get squeezed

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's really interesting to see the differences in opinion regarding Askarov and drafting goalies in general. 

Yeah, I'm on the "don't take 1st round goalies" train. The risk to ROI is just high compared to forwards. Even if they pan out, you get zero ELC play out of them. 

55 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's really interesting to see the differences in opinion regarding Askarov and drafting goalies in general. 

I'm torn. I'm in the boat about 'don't take goalies in the 1st round' normally, due to how volatile they are. However, there is a very good argument to be made that Askarov is one of the better goalie prospects to come out in years. Craig Button (I know, I know) said he's the best since Carey Price and tbh, it's not one of his usual out to lunch takes. I think he's comparable to Vasilevskiy in his draft year too. With him, if you can wait 2-3 seasons, you could have a ready made franchise goalie come in during his rookie season. I like him more than a few more popular forwards in this draft.

20 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, I'm on the "don't take 1st round goalies" train. The risk to ROI is just high compared to forwards. Even if they pan out, you get zero ELC play out of them. 

I am the same...I think you draft one every year without fail and just keep throwing them in. Right now, we have an open spot in the AHL and the ECHL, and if you're full up, you can always draft the guys overseas and let them stay there. I'd just keep throwing the darts. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

I'm torn. I'm in the boat about 'don't take goalies in the 1st round' normally, due to how volatile they are. However, there is a very good argument to be made that Askarov is one of the better goalie prospects to come out in years. Craig Button (I know, I know) said he's the best since Carey Price and tbh, it's not one of his usual out to lunch takes. I think he's comparable to Vasilevskiy in his draft year too. With him, if you can wait 2-3 seasons, you could have a ready made franchise goalie come in during his rookie season. I like him more than a few more popular forwards in this draft.

The problem I have with goalies is that they are so much further away in regards to their development,  and there is no indication on how that progression will continue to go. It would be kind of like if you drafted kids coming out of high school in the NFL, you know? Like, a lot of them (5 star recruits) would still pan out, but a lot of them struggle in college or are great in college but are only great college players and can't make the jump after that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Forge said:

The problem I have with goalies is that they are so much further away in regards to their development,  and there is no indication on how that progression will continue to go. It would be kind of like if you drafted kids coming out of high school in the NFL, you know? Like, a lot of them (5 star recruits) would still pan out, but a lot of them struggle in college or are great in college but are only great college players and can't make the jump after that. 

Yeah their volatility definitely tanks their stock. I guess for me regarding Askarov it's that he's doing pretty well against much older competition. He started for Russia in the WJC at 17. He started a good number of games in the VHL as a 17 year old against older competition and held his own. If we continue that progression, we're looking at a kid who will be playing against men in the KHL in 1-2 years. That's arguably in the 2nd or 3rd best league in the world. The big thing with Askarov is that you might be getting a guy at 21 who is ready for the NHL after facing men for the 2-3 seasons. That tracks a lot more than taking a kid from junior. Now of course there is risk, he might be behind a dominant team or a defensive system, or he loses all confidence etc. Like I said before he reminds me a lot of Vasi coming out of the draft.

Also, word on the street is you guys will be paying close attention to him draft night and how far he drops. No idea if that's changed but yeah interesting to see.