Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Because Jesper's going to take us to the woodshed for as long as possible. If we sign him for less than $7 Million, I'll be shocked.

Same. I'm just hoping it doesn't get contentious enough that Fitz moves him

• Like 1

I forgot to ask this the other day when you guys were talking about Shane Wright. 

I was under the assumption that all Centers can play forwards but not all forwards can play center . Why isn’t that true? What’s the difference between the positions?

8 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I forgot to ask this the other day when you guys were talking about Shane Wright. 

I was under the assumption that all Centers can play forwards but not all forwards can play center . Why isn’t that true? What’s the difference between the positions?

The biggest difference is the defensive responsibilities and ice coverage. 

Most centers can play wing without too much of an issue, but every now and again you'll get people like Jack who are just not comfortable there. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

The biggest difference is the defensive responsibilities and ice coverage. 

Most centers can play wing without too much of an issue, but every now and again you'll get people like Jack who are just not comfortable there. 

So a guy like Cooley who a lot of people really like is in play you think ?

Our pick is 100% going to be Juraj Slafkovsky. The discussion has practically ended with how well he's playing in this WC. He had no problem creating chances and playing well vs Canada, which was the big test. He's closer to Shane Wright, as a prospect, than any player behind him is to the #2 pick.

15 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

So a guy like Cooley who a lot of people really like is in play you think ?

Cooley could be the second best prospect in this draft, though I'm not completely enamored with him. I feel like an inordinate number of his goals are "Juniors goals" (IE very soft or due to a situation in which you almost never find yourself in at the NHL level). 

I feel like more people view Cooley as a potential center than people do with Savoie.; the latter has plenty of experience on the wing so they may just see that as an easier transition. 

If we think that Cooley is just flat out the second best player in this draft (not an impossibility) then he'll probably be in the mix, but Fitz has really moved more toward the size equation recently in the early rounds. 

We had a similar situation 2 years ago when we could have taken a smaller center (Marco Rossi) and instead elected for a slightly bigger wing (Holtz). 

Luke Hughes, 6'2. Stillman 6'1.  Holtz 6'0 (but almost 200 pounds). Salminen 6'2. Mookie 6'3. Pytlick 6'2. Hurtig 6'5. Bardakov 6'2. Schlaine 6'1. Vilen 6'1. 

The only smaller guys we have taken under Fitz have been Edwards (very interesting prospect) and Baumgartner (not a thing). 

Fitz has commented several times about the overlap the team has and it really looks like he's trying hard for size. He traded for Nolan Foote and that is another big boy. Same with Kuokkanen. 

I just don't think Fitz wants more smaller guys right now. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

If we think that Cooley is just flat out the second best player in this draft (not an impossibility) then he'll probably be in the mix

The chance of us viewing Cooley as the second best prospect is non-zero but it's much, much closer to zero than it's not. He's more of the same and nothing in his tape stands out. I'm literally never enamored with him when I watch. He's the definition of boring. He has no standout tools other than skating IMO. There's a reason I have him at #6 and I'm even inclined to put Savoie over him.

Edited by beekay414

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'll admit I just don't like Logan Cooley. There's nothing about him that makes me excited when I watch him. 

I'll give him a little credit. The US U18 is deep, but not as top heavy as it was a couple of years ago and he was basically as productive as Zegras in his draft year. That is impressive to a certain extent. Zegras went 9th in that draft (he and Turcotte honestly should have been flipped though and I think Turcotte went 5th). 

In a normal draft, I think Cooley is probably a fringe top 5 guy, maybe just on the outside 

Just now, Forge said:

I'll give him a little credit. The US U18 is deep, but not as top heavy as it was a couple of years ago and he was basically as productive as Zegras in his draft year. That is impressive to a certain extent. Zegras went 9th in that draft (he and Turcotte honestly should have been flipped though and I think Turcotte went 5th). 

In a normal draft, I think Cooley is probably a fringe top 5 guy, maybe just on the outside 

Zegras also played either 3C or on the wing on the 2nd line. He wasn't their first line C (Jack Hughes, our son). He's not Zegras at all. 

I know I sound like STI but you can make a case that Cooley wasn't even a top 3 most important player on the USNTDP team. Nazar, McGroarty, Howard, Snuggerud, Gauthier and Chesley all have a case of being more important than Cooley.