I'm going to get Roasted for this Mock

CalLionsFan

Everyone has their opinion on what we do/don't need. What's the "biggest" need, etc... It is hilarious to me, some of the differing opinions on here and other websites about the Lions. For instance, last season everyone really disliked/hated Ebron for his inconsistency, we spent a high draft pick on him, etc... Then he started playing a bit better but we still didn't like him. We traded him and people went nuts. Now TE is a big "need" again. Even though we drafted one last year and got one in FA. We've been bottom 5 or so in rushing for what seems like forever, but many don't think getting a RB (at #20) is much of a priority because it's a "deep class" at RB this year. Plus, no point in getting a RB because we don't have an OL to block for him. But an edge rusher is the "big need?" Then, I've seen, "Ziggy is the only good pass rusher we have", we tag Ziggy, now many can't believe we're going to pay an "injury prone" edge guy that much. The list goes on. 

Point being, NOBODY IS GOING TO GET IT "RIGHT," as far as a mock draft. So, here's mine anyways. :D (no trades, can't ever predict those)

Round 1 Pick #20 - Derrius Guice - RB - LSU -  Fellow fans, the Lions put up just over 1200 yards rushing last season. I think it's time to get someone who has the potential to get that by himself. (Back up pick- Hubbard OSU)

Round 2 Pick #51 - Uchenna Nwuso - DE - USC - You want/we need an OLB/Edge guy? Here he is. This man gets nothing but results. A major disruptive force for QB's and a great tackler. (Back up pick - RB!!!! Jones USC or Penny SDSU)

Round 3 Pick #82 - Ian Thomas - TE - IND - IF !!!! we're going to get a TE this draft, IMO, this is the one to get. Once the ball is in his hands, he's hard to bring down. ( Back up pick - B.J. Hill DL NC St.)

Round 4 Pick #117 - Fred Warner - LB - BYU - 4 year starter at SAM and/or Nickel defender. Good in coverage. ( Back up pick - Kameron Kelly - CB - SDSU )

Round 5 Pick #153 - Colby Gossett - G - App St. - 6-5 320. Did play lower level competition, but owned it. ( Back up pick - Cole Madison - G -Wash St.)

Round 7 Pick #237 - BPA/Need = Tray Matthews - S - Aub - Good size, Great speed. Added bonus, plays both safety positions. ( Back up pick - Reginald McKenzie - DL - Tenn )

With only 6 picks, you can't cover everything. But I believe we do need a RB badly. I know we need an Edge guy and interior DL. But I also think the LB's will be helping the middle a lot more this season than the past. We do need OL help, but if our starters are on the field, we're good. I saw a stat from last season that our 5 starters played a total of about 10% of the season together. 

Anyways, I went with what I believe would help us all around. Let the disagreeing commence. O.o

Personally, I don't think the Lions go RB in round 1. It's not the way the Patriots tend to do business and BQ is from the Bellichick School of GMing. He's also said that he feels the team has enough pieces for an improved running game without the need to add someone in the draft. It would depend on who is available in rounds 2, 3 and 4 (paraphrasing something I've read). This could be a lot of smoke and mirrors but it makes sense when you look at the track record. Otherwise there are some selections that could be made here. Addresses a few of the needs.

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

It must be tough to be a Lions fan when you need a RB in the draft.  How can you ever get one who could replace Barry Sanders?

It's been almost 20 years. We don't need to replace Barry Sanders, we just need a competent RB. I personally pray the Lions take Guice in the first for two reasons. 1. He'll be the best RB option outside of the top 5 picks and is the exact RB that we need. 2. I'm tired of people trying to compare the Lions to the Patriots and believing we are trying to emulate the "Patriots Way" as if that means anything more than doing whatever Belichik wants.

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

It's been almost 20 years. We don't need to replace Barry Sanders, we just need a competent RB. I personally pray the Lions take Guice in the first for two reasons. 1. He'll be the best RB option outside of the top 5 picks and is the exact RB that we need. 2. I'm tired of people trying to compare the Lions to the Patriots and believing we are trying to emulate the "Patriots Way" as if that means anything more than doing whatever Belichik wants.

Yeah, I know life must go on.  As one of the old guys on this site, 20 years doesn't seem like that long ago.  One of the highlights of being a fan of an NFC Central/North team has been the privilege of seeing the great Barry Sanders in action twice each year during his career - even if he was usually terrorizing our defense.  Even after all this time, whenever I see those Honolulu blue uniforms, I think of him.

11 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Yeah, I know life must go on.  As one of the old guys on this site, 20 years doesn't seem like that long ago.  One of the highlights of being a fan of an NFC Central/North team has been the privilege of seeing the great Barry Sanders in action twice each year during his career - even if he was usually terrorizing our defense.  Even after all this time, whenever I see those Honolulu blue uniforms, I think of him.

One of my earliest football memories was my father taking me to go see Barry play. He's my favorite Lion of all time. I get it. 

On 2018-04-22 at 9:23 PM, Louis Friend said:

One of my earliest football memories was my father taking me to go see Barry play. He's my favorite Lion of all time. I get it. 

My favourite Lions of all time.

1. Billy Sims who was amazing until his devastating knee injury forced his retirement. In my view he was the best back in Lions history.

2. Alex Karras who was the first player that really stood out on the football field, to me.

3. Chris Spielman 

Archived