JRG's First Ever Mock Draft

jolly red giant

First time I have done this - I know very little about college football and rarely if ever watch it. Please be gentle with my daft draft predictions

Elway decides to roll with Keenum and trades with Buffalo for 1.12, 1.22 and 2.53

There are a number of potential picks here - if Denzil Ward drops this far I would pick him. We need a CB and he is value at 1.12. However, I doubt he makes it this far so my pick would be

Vita Vea - DT - Washington

Starting point for any team re-build is the trenches and this guy fills a big hole.

OL re-build has started - but several pieces are and will be needed. One of several picks possible for OL but at 1.22  I like 

Will Hernandez - OG - UTEP

We need a RB to push Booker (and maybe even compete with him) - again several possible picks in a deep class - my pick is 

Rashid Penny - RB - San Diego State

Trying to kill two birds with one stone here - we need a 3rd WR and a PR wouldn't go a miss. Two in one with 

DJ Clark - WR - LSU

Another piece for the OL - this time OT - with Veldheer being brought in as a one-year stop-gap - give an OT who flopped at the combine time to build strength and learn the pro-game as a back-up -

Orlando Brown - OT - Oklahoma

With Thomas and Sanders now over 30 and nothing behind them - draft a second WR to give Keenum targets and with an eye on the future -

Michael Gallup - WR - Colorado State

With question marks over Ron Leary's recovery and how effective he can be if his back problem flairs up again - this one is an insurance pick -

Braden Smith - OG - Auburn

We are thin at TE and giving Keenum some weapons will help keep the offence going - someone projected to potentially play in a variety of offensive situations that is a match-up problem for defences -

Jaylen Samuels - TE - North Carolina

With Talib gone and a stop-gap brought in for replacement taking a CB to compete for 3rd CB makes sense - my pick here -

Christian Campbell - CB - Penn State

Last pick of the day - if Elway has given up on Paxton Lynch and decided to cut him  I could see Elway selecting Mike White here as a developmental QB - but I suspect he will wait and see how Chad Kelly will develop before jumping in to take a QB - we could do with some more help along the DL particularly if Wolfe isn't back to full throttle - my pick -

Duke Ejiofor - DE - Wake Forest

Potential UDFA signings (if they don't get drafted)

Jordan Mailata - OT - South Sydney

Michael Joseph - CB - Dubuque

Jon Cunningham - DT - Kent State

Al-Rasheed Benton - ILB - West Virginia

Dorian O’Daniel - LB - Clemson

Dejon Allen - OG - Hawaii

Elway for sure is addressing ILB he’s said it’s a priority this draft.   I think you have to have one by 3.99 or 4.106.   Other than it’s a very good draft sequence wise  if you pass on QB.  

I’d get a different WR than Chark though.     The only pick we absolutely cannot take IMO is Orlando Brown.   Guys with conditioning issues who have to play full time snaps are a no go in DEN and ARI with the altitude.   A DT could get away with it being in a rotation but OL don’t rotate regularly.   He could be fine with any other non-altitude team with a better conditioning program (yes he’s already made big strides but still needs more work).   Just not us or ARI. 

Vea Hernandez Penny Gallup and Smith are all slotted at their draft range spot (Penny might get away with 3.7 but it’s not a horrible reach for 2.18).  

Smith and Campbell would be nice day 3 picks for sure.   I’m not sure if either falls that late though.  SEA has been linked to him as he fits their mold.  

I would not pass on Darnold / Rosen and prefer getting BPA 1.5 but if Elway really wants to trade back this is a good alternate result except for Brown.  

21 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Elway for sure is addressing ILB he’s said it’s a priority this draft.   I think you have to have one by 3.99 or 4.106.   Other than it’s a very good draft sequence wise  if you pass on QB.  

I’d get a different WR than Chark though.     The only pick we absolutely cannot take IMO is Orlando Brown.   Guys with conditioning issues who have to play full time snaps are a no go in DEN and ARI with the altitude.   A DT could get away with it being in a rotation but OL don’t rotate regularly.   He could be fine with any other non-altitude team with a better conditioning program (yes he’s already made big strides but still needs more work).   Just not us or ARI. 

Vea Hernandez Penny Gallup and Smith are all slotted at their draft range spot (Penny might get away with 3.7 but it’s not a horrible reach for 2.18).  

Smith and Campbell would be nice day 3 picks for sure.   I’m not sure if either falls that late though.  SEA has been linked to him as he fits their mold.  

I would not pass on Darnold / Rosen and prefer getting BPA 1.5 but if Elway really wants to trade back this is a good alternate result except for Brown.  

I'm hoping we lay off the Boise state guy he had pinched nerves in his neck.

16 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm hoping we lay off the Boise state guy he had pinched nerves in his neck.

I don’t think Elway will go that early.   If he was thinking of it he would have brought in guys like Evans or LVE for visits.   I think Day 2 / early day 3 is more likely given who he’s brought in.  I can’t remember the last Day 1 pick who didn’t visit with us.  

FWIW I think the LVE neck issue is classic lying season talk.    Unless the MRI showed a significant narrowing it’s pure BS that it’s only coming out now.   Teams have had his medicals since the Combine and only now the flags are coming up?   LVE wasn’t asked to return for a recheck so I don’t see the issue as severe as being leaked.   

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I don’t think Elway will go that early.   If he was thinking of it he would have brought in guys like Evans or LVE for visits.   I think Day 2 / early day 3 is more likely given who he’s brought in.  I can’t remember the last Day 1 pick who didn’t visit with us.  

FWIW I think the LVE neck issue is classic lying season talk.    Unless the MRI showed a significant narrowing it’s pure BS that it’s only coming out now.   Teams have had his medicals since the Combine and only now the flags are coming up?   LVE wasn’t asked to return for a recheck so I don’t see the issue as severe as being leaked.   

Beyond that, pinched nerve in the neck that’s a resault of stenosis is a simple surgery to fix. It’s what Wolfe had done this offseason. As long as the surgon doesn’t slip it relieves all the issues with no side effects. I’ve seen guys unable to do their pushups for their PRT, get this surgery and 6 weeks later they are back in the gym without pain for the first time in years.

19 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Beyond that, pinched nerve in the neck that’s a resault of stenosis is a simple surgery to fix. It’s what Wolfe had done this offseason. As long as the surgon doesn’t slip it relieves all the issues with no side effects. I’ve seen guys unable to do their pushups for their PRT, get this surgery and 6 weeks later they are back in the gym without pain for the first time in years.

Depends on how severe the stenosis is, though.    Was it a single-level fusion?  If it's more than single-level, then it's much iffier to return back to play unaffected.   Been waiting to hear what exactly Wolfe had done (same for NYJ's WR Quincy Enunwa, the details are always lacking).

In LVE's case, he's not even being considered, so it's probably mild.   In which case it's really overblown.   

I don't really see us spending three picks on the offensive line. You'd usually go into the season with nine linemen on your 53 man roster. This consists of 5 starters, 2 swing OT's, and 2 swing interior guys.

At the moment we've got

Tackles: Garrett Bolles, Jared Veldheer

Interior: Ronald Leary, Matt Paradis, Connor McGovern, Billy Turner, Max Garcia, JJ Dielman

That's 8 guys all of whom look like virtual locks to make the roster. So there's probably only a space for another OT to groom behind Veldheer. Will Hernandez I could see being picked purely because of the connections to his OL coach, but I'd be stunned if we take 2 guards.

52 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Depends on how severe the stenosis is, though.    Was it a single-level fusion?  If it's more than single-level, then it's much iffier to return back to play unaffected.   Been waiting to hear what exactly Wolfe had done (same for NYJ's WR Quincy Enunwa, the details are always lacking).

In LVE's case, he's not even being considered, so it's probably mild.   In which case it's really overblown.   

And it depends on the cause right? Ignore it’s from disc herniation (like Manning had) then it will require fusion. Wolfe had foraminal stenosis (the holes in the spine where the nerves exit are too narrow) which is what I’ve heard floated around that LVE might have. The surgery to fix that is the one I was referring to where they simply drill out some bone to make the hole bigger. 

47 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I don't really see us spending three picks on the offensive line. You'd usually go into the season with nine linemen on your 53 man roster. This consists of 5 starters, 2 swing OT's, and 2 swing interior guys.

At the moment we've got

Tackles: Garrett Bolles, Jared Veldheer

Interior: Ronald Leary, Matt Paradis, Connor McGovern, Billy Turner, Max Garcia, JJ Dielman

That's 8 guys all of whom look like virtual locks to make the roster. So there's probably only a space for another OT to groom behind Veldheer. Will Hernandez I could see being picked purely because of the connections to his OL coach, but I'd be stunned if we take 2 guards.

Turner, Garcia, and Dielman are far from locks

9 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

And it depends on the cause right? Ignore it’s from disc herniation (like Manning had) then it will require fusion. Wolfe had foraminal stenosis (the holes in the spine where the nerves exit are too narrow) which is what I’ve heard floated around that LVE might have. The surgery to fix that is the one I was referring to where they simply drill out some bone to make the hole bigger. 

He had the foraminotomy then?   Well that’s a lot better news.   Guess I missed that in my month away after SB52 lol.    

Archived