Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

Set the record for most consecutive losses should equal to loss of job

Monty Williams has had some dubious losses.  Everything was went downhill since going up 2-0 vs Milwaukee in the finals in 2021. The phoenix teams finished horribly .

2022 blown out by 33 vs Mavs in Game 7

2023 blown out by 25 vs Nuggets in Game 6 Elimination game

2024 - 28 straight losses to set an NBA record with Pistons

There’s something off with him and his connection with players . 

I have to say I am not a fan of going into the draft without a coach.  If we either trade the pick or select someone, we will be getting someone that the new coach is stuck with delaying the true building of the team another year.  Sure coaches should be able to plug in and work with what they have but if we get a coach who prefers something specific for their offense or defense to work, we should be targeting that and sort of sucks potentially wasting another year of development. 

Yet another display by Gores that he has no idea what he is doing by delaying so long to hire Langdon, waiting so long to fire Monty, and still not having a coach in place. Everything is late just like he is for every press conference.  What a joke of an owner he is. 

16 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Everything is late just like he is for every press conference.  What a joke of an owner he is. 

That press conference was an embarrassment. You are so right on that second sentence. We'll never be good with that party boy as the owner. 

With the Nets going full tank mode, should we send the 5th pick for Cam Johnson?  The spacing would be better with him at the 3 or 4 and he was a target last year by many in the Pistons chats. A lineup of Cade, Ivey, Fontechio, Johnson, and Duren would be a little more exciting.  

I am guessing we end up with Buzelis, Ron Holland, or Cody Williams if we stay at 5. 

I would most prefer a trade down or trade for future picks since I don't love this draft. Maybe trade down to OKC's 12th pick and gain a future 1st or if Utah would do 10 and 29 plus for 5.  with the 10-12 range I'd target Cody Williams, Kel'el Ware, Dalton Knecht, Tyler Smith, or Ron Holland.  Then if we get 29 from Utah I would look at Kyle Filipowski, Baylor Scheirman, Ajay Mitchell, Dillon Jones, or take a flier on one of the international guys like Bobi Klintman, Pacome Dadiet, or Ulrich Chomche.  

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

With the Nets going full tank mode, should we send the 5th pick for Cam Johnson?  The spacing would be better with him at the 3 or 4 and he was a target last year by many in the Pistons chats. A lineup of Cade, Ivey, Fontechio, Johnson, and Duren would be a little more exciting.  

I am guessing we end up with Buzelis, Ron Holland, or Cody Williams if we stay at 5. 

I would most prefer a trade down or trade for future picks since I don't love this draft. Maybe trade down to OKC's 12th pick and gain a future 1st or if Utah would do 10 and 29 plus for 5.  with the 10-12 range I'd target Cody Williams, Kel'el Ware, Dalton Knecht, Tyler Smith, or Ron Holland.  Then if we get 29 from Utah I would look at Kyle Filipowski, Baylor Scheirman, Ajay Mitchell, Dillon Jones, or take a flier on one of the international guys like Bobi Klintman, Pacome Dadiet, or Ulrich Chomche.  

That'd be gross to do 5 for just CJ straight up.

If the Nets somehow get into the lottery by trading DFS, etc, and then trade up to 5 using CJ, I could swallow that.

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

i would absolutely be down for that but i don't think it's enough for brooklyn. i think claxton should be a priority free agent for detroit regardless, but if they make a move like that to get better he needs to be the number one guy because duren can't start if you're actually trying to turn a corner

15 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

i would absolutely be down for that but i don't think it's enough for brooklyn. i think claxton should be a priority free agent for detroit regardless, but if they make a move like that to get better he needs to be the number one guy because duren can't start if you're actually trying to turn a corner

Give them Duren for Cam then. I'm sure they would want more but dont think I would want to do 5 and Duren but I am sure the Nets would like a young big like Duren to start building around. Maybe Sasser and Duren for Cam.  Would put Clingan make more sense at 5 if there too.   

23 minutes ago, General Tso said:

That'd be gross to do 5 for just CJ straight up.

If the Nets somehow get into the lottery by trading DFS, etc, and then trade up to 5 using CJ, I could swallow that.

Most years I would agree but I would rather have Cam on this team than Ausar and Ausar is probably a top 3 pick in this draft.  And if we really want to start winning some games, we need some vets on the court who have had some production and space the floor properly. 

24 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Most years I would agree but I would rather have Cam on this team than Ausar and Ausar is probably a top 3 pick in this draft.  And if we really want to start winning some games, we need some vets on the court who have had some production and space the floor properly. 

I mean, I would just sign Tobias for a similar term and slightly more AAV and not use any draft compensation if we're given the choice.

35 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I mean, I would just sign Tobias for a similar term and slightly more AAV and not use any draft compensation if we're given the choice.

Tobias is a worse defender, worse outside shooter, and is 4 years older.  Its an option sure but i don't think it helps as much as Cam Johnson would.  

22 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Tobias is a worse defender, worse outside shooter, and is 4 years older.  Its an option sure but i don't think it helps as much as Cam Johnson would.  

Yep, won't dispute any of those points, it's just #5 is really rich for me for someone who gets hurt every year and is just an ok defender.

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

Yep, won't dispute any of those points, it's just #5 is really rich for me for someone who gets hurt every year and is just an ok defender.

I get it.  I just don't think #5 in this draft is all that important.  Sure one or two guys from this draft will probably be decent based on odds but this might be the worst draft since 2000.  I just can't get excited about anyone in this draft and I am getting sick of lotto tickets hoping someone develops.  Odds are Cam would be significantly better, at least over the next 3/4 years than anyone we would draft at 5. That doesn't seem rich/expensive to me.