Official NFL Draft Thread (General Discussion for Draft)

steelcurtain29

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

I know I'm picking on one point here, but this is the type of thinking that can set a franchise back.  I feel like we did the same thing with RB in the time between Park to Mendenhall then Mendenhall to Bell.  "Oh we don't need to take the good guy now, there will be someone there next year."  If you think that Jackson has a chance at being a franchise QB, you can't sit there and say "Oh what if Ben plays 2 more years....guess we'll wait".  

And this is the type of thinking that can shut windows of opportunity for super bowl rings because we wanted a 1st round pick on the bench to hope for the best in 3-4 years. Specifically at the QB position where arguable 21 out of 39 first round QBs since Big Bens draft have failed as NFL players, and in all honestly, that number could be higher than that. That's not a great hit rate to justify with our team right now unless you love the guy so much that you don't think there is another coming in the next 2 years like him. I'd love a top back too, but the position is largely interchangeable. Is Guice really the next best thing at the position. I am sure there will be someone that comes out next year just as popular a pick. There usually is. 

Seriously -- which do you choose? A 50/50 chance that you picked the right guy and wont know until honestly about 7 years from now or the opportunity to help improve your greatest weakness on a super bowl hopeful?

15 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Oh wait, it's 5 years down the line and we're struggling to find a RB and a QB and guys we could have taken this year are studs?  Well I'm glad we waited another year because they were set for 2018!

Honestly.... do you want to be good in 5 years or do you want a super bowl ring? Not that you cant have both, but man we have a HOF QB and a primed offense with a stud RB RIGHT NOW and a defense that needs play makers. Are you really worried that we missed the opportunity to have the next guy in 4 years and think that the option wont return in 2019 draft? And the opinion all lies on whether the Steelers valued Jackson -- maybe they dont...

Just now, warfelg said:

So what level do you think he'll contribute though?  I don't think that he'll contribute to the level that round 1 was worth it.  Like I said, quite a few years in a row now that the round 1 pick was a reach.

Shazier was 6’1 230ish when drafted.  There can be packages where Edmunds is incorporated into the defense.  Do you slowly integrate him into being the next Deone Buchanan?  

Williams isn’t a cover LB and I haven’t seen Bostic play much in the NFL so you need someone who can cover their weaknesses.  Edmunds could be that guy.  I know some liked Dorian O’Daniel but maybe Steelers have bigger plans for Edmunds.

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

And this is the type of thinking that can shut windows of opportunity for super bowl rings because we wanted a 1st round pick on the bench to hope for the best in 3-4 years. Specifically at the QB position where arguable 21 out of 39 first round QBs since Big Bens draft have failed as NFL players, and in all honestly, that number could be higher than that. That's not a great hit rate to justify with our team right now unless you love the guy so much that you don't think there is another coming in the next 2 years like him. I'd love a top back too, but the position is largely interchangeable. Is Guice really the next best thing at the position. I am sure there will be someone that comes out next year just as popular a pick. There usually is. 

Seriously -- which do you choose? A 50/50 chance that you picked the right guy and wont know until honestly about 7 years from now or the opportunity to help improve your greatest weakness on a super bowl hopeful?

Honestly.... do you want to be good in 5 years or do you want a super bowl ring? Not that you cant have both, but man we have a HOF QB and a primed offense with a stud RB RIGHT NOW and a defense that needs play makers. Are you really worried that we missed the opportunity to have the next guy in 4 years and think that the option wont return in 2019 draft? And the opinion all lies on whether the Steelers valued Jackson -- maybe they dont...

Edmunds DOES NOT get us closer to a SB Ring this year.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

How about the don't force a pick option?  The trade down option?

The OLB think makes more sense to me because Dupree hasn't shown much and we lack depth there anyways.  CB has more questionmarks than safety IMO.  Ok, you have RB with Bell this year...but what about next year?  QB....so screw the future?

Add on top of that at this SS/ILB hybrid style player this draft is really deep with them, but you spent early on a guy projected to be there later.  You can keep justifying it, but to me there was more reasons to look elsewhere and think of other options.

This is what I thought. If for some reason Edmunds does get Ints and suits the scheme and becomes a good starter, thats all I ask. If he is another Jarvis,, bud, hood etc, then history has repeated itself.  Because of the reach, it's too bad he will be scrutinized .  Our DB draft picks in recent time hasn't been good either, but will this pick be different? Maybe it's the coaching, wait and see I guessO.o

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

Give me the 50/50 chance that I kept the window of a SB open for another 10-15 years as opposed to one last gasp.  Every time.  I don't want another Tomszack, ODonnell, Maddox era.

2 minutes ago, Armsteeld2 said:

Shazier was 6’1 230ish when drafted.  There can be packages where Edmunds is incorporated into the defense.  Do you slowly integrate him into being the next Deone Buchanan?  

Williams isn’t a cover LB and I haven’t seen Bostic play much in the NFL so you need someone who can cover their weaknesses.  Edmunds could be that guy.  I know some liked Dorian O’Daniel but maybe Steelers have bigger plans for Edmunds.

And I don't disagree with that.  What I disagree with is having to take that guy now when that style safety is this deep in the draft.

Just now, wwhickok said:

Edmunds DOES NOT get us closer to a SB Ring this year.

Sorry. I didn't know that was a fact. Here I was thinking we would have to actually watch him play. My bad. Terrible pick then. Terrible!

Mind giving me a....why? Or at least countering the quote of how a QB or a RB does?

3 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

All of those players have flaws as well. 

For the Steelers,  it obviously came down to preference.   And teams don't care what NFL.com thinks. 

And that's fair enough.....but this pick is being universally picked at.  I get draftniks can be wrong....but this is out there.  Reminds me of then the Jags to Alualu and everyone laughed...and he busted for the spot.

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Give me the 50/50 chance that I kept the window of a SB open for another 10-15 years as opposed to one last gasp.  Every time.  I don't want another Tomszack, ODonnell, Maddox era.

Do you think Jackson is that guy? Do you think Guice is the next best thing at RB?

I don't care what the 'story' is from the Steelers or analysts, this was a 'desperate' pick.  The guys that Pittsburgh actually wanted were no longer available.  So they picked a guy that was on their board in a later round for fear he wouldn't be available rather than taking a guy that actually made sense and was worth the pick.  Dallas Goedert would've been a better choice here.

Just now, Dcash4 said:

Sorry. I didn't know that was a fact. Here I was thinking we would have to actually watch him play. My bad. Terrible pick then. Terrible!

Mind giving me a....why? Or at least countering the quote of how a QB or a RB does?

So a potential 2019 Super Bowl is more important than potentially setting yourself up for Super Bowl runs from 2021-2035?

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Site rankings aside, he wasn't the best available S.  The reality of this pick is, imo, he's going to play  more LB than S.  Ryan Shazier basically announced his replacement.

I disagree,  but time will tell. 

Just now, Dcash4 said:

Do you think Jackson is that guy? Do you think Guice is the next best thing at RB?

Yes and Yes.  Jackson was a guy I said needed a year to work on the throwing motion.  He's got that now.  Guice to me is this years David Johnson/Leveon Bell.  He needs a NFL training program to drop baby fat and get built.  He checks the boxes or size, power, catching, blocking.  Doesn't have breakaway speed but neither does Bell.  

And why does it have to be "next best thing"?  Both these guys have a high chance of being a game breaking player.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

And I don't disagree with that.  What I disagree with is having to take that guy now when that style safety is this deep in the draft.

Personality, family stability, psychological and aptitude tests, physicals are all things that we are unaware of.  We base off what we see on tape and also the combine.  They have way more information to make more better decisions.  I disliked Sean Davis, Bud Dupree, and Jarvis Jones picks as soon as they happened.  Edmunds only flaws are being too aggressive on playsction and double moves which suggests he needs more film study or that he just is an aggressive guy.  I like the demeanor that he has which is a fiery, passionate yet controlled rage when he’s on the field.  If harnessed properly, you getting a superstar.

Archived