QB Josh Allen will be available at pick 11

Swampbilly

Breaking news!!!

Yahoo reports Josh Allen tweeted racially offensive remarks while in high school.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/josh-allen-apologizes-after-racist-tweets-resurface/ar-AAwmurA?OCID=ansmsnnews11

This isn’t a huge issue for me since this isn’t uncommon talk for immature teenagers these days.  I understand that this will be offensive to a lot of people and probably enough so that Allen drops out of top 10.  This could be great news for us.  If Allen is available at 11 then someone will possibly give a couple picks for him or we draft him and he sits for a year or two and we get his footwork and decision making under control.

If he falls to 11, Should we draft him or trade down?  If trading down what could we get?

8 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

Breaking news!!!

Yahoo reports Josh Allen tweeted racially offensive remarks while in high school.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/josh-allen-apologizes-after-racist-tweets-resurface/ar-AAwmurA?OCID=ansmsnnews11

This isn’t a huge issue for me since this isn’t uncommon talk for immature teenagers these days.  I understand that this will be offensive to a lot of people and probably enough so that Allen drops out of top 10.  This could be great news for us.  If Allen is available at 11 then someone will possibly give a couple picks for him or we draft him and he sits for a year or two and we get his footwork and decision making under control.

If he falls to 11, Should we draft him or trade down?  If trading down what could we get?

I would break my TV if the Fins took Allen.

I would draft him at 11 if my top 3 QB’s are off the board, (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield).  The only reason I would draft Allen at 11 is because we have Tannehill and Gase.  I hate Allen’s accuracy and decision making, but Allen can sit for a year or two and if Gase fixes his footwork then that will improve the accuracy.  The decision making should just come with more experience.

If Allen can’t beat out Tannehill after year two then he is still known for his huge arm and would be an easy commodity to trade for a second rounder IMO.  I know what your thinking after reading that.....”WTF a second rounder for pick 11?”, but IMO it’s worth the risk.......from a salary cap standpoint we are going to be in big trouble with Tannehills contract in 2019 and 2020.  Worse case scenario I see is Allen lights a fire under Tannehill much like Mahomes did Alex Smith last year, and Tannehill has his best season ever, then we make a decision on which one to trade in 2019 or 2020.

2019  $ 26.6 Mil

2020. $ 25 Mil

20 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

I hate Allen’s accuracy and decision making, but Allen can sit for a year or two and if Gase fixes his footwork then that will improve the accuracy.  The decision making should just come with more experience.

Allen's accuracy has been garbage in the NCAA and in JUCO. So Gase should take two years to magically fix his mechanics top to bottom, but since he needs 'experience to improve his decision making' he won't get that on the bench. So in your scenario year 3 his accuracy is somehow fixed (from practices only), but his decision making is still junk because he never got game snaps.

Pass, pass, passpasspasspasspass

I just don't think Allen is going to fix everything that's wrong with him, which seems to be everything but his size and arm strength. I'm not against a QB (although I would only take Rosen or Darnold at 11) but I'm not a fan of Allen in the slightest.

57 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

If we trade with let's say Arizona (who wants to get ahead of the Bills at 12) and we get their 15th overall pick.. Dolphins should net at least a 3rd. If Allen is there but Smith, Edmunds, and Fitpatrick have been taken.. then I trade back 4 spots for an extra 3rd and draft someone like Vea or even a LB or TE.

27 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Allen's accuracy has been garbage in the NCAA and in JUCO. So Gase should take two years to magically fix his mechanics top to bottom, but since he needs 'experience to improve his decision making' he won't get that on the bench. So in your scenario year 3 his accuracy is somehow fixed (from practices only), but his decision making is still junk because he never got game snaps.

Pass, pass, passpasspasspasspass

I just don't think Allen is going to fix everything that's wrong with him, which seems to be everything but his size and arm strength. I'm not against a QB (although I would only take Rosen or Darnold at 11) but I'm not a fan of Allen in the slightest.

If we trade with let's say Arizona (who wants to get ahead of the Bills at 12) and we get their 15th overall pick.. Dolphins should net at least a 3rd. If Allen is there but Smith, Edmunds, and Fitpatrick have been taken.. then I trade back 4 spots for an extra 3rd and draft someone like Vea or even a LB or TE.

I sincerely agree with everything you said.  Allen’s accuracy is garbage and I’ve said all along he will be the QB of the top 4 that has the highest possibility to fall out of the top 10.  Nevertheless I still see upside in Allen, especially if your HC is a QB guru and you have a capable starting QB on the roster already.  A lot of QBs with accuracy issues in the NCAA can’t be fixed, but with Allen I think he can be fixed.  Allen’s accuracy issue is primarily a poor footwork issue IMO......fix his footwork and his accuracy will improve drastically......that leaves his poor decision making.......Allen will be behind the top 3 QBs in this draft on his decision making abilities but that’s mostly due to knowing your offensive system and understanding the defense.  He should know Gase’s system inside and out after riding pine for a for a full season.  That just leaves reading and understanding defenses, which is something that every QB in this draft is going to have to work at every game for years to come.

Drafting Allen at 11 is a big risk, but it could have a huge payout IMO.  I would roll the dice, if we can’t trade down, depending on how the draft plays out.

I read an article that was written by a current NFL scout, who remained anonymous, but was actually in the room with each QB. He said that Allen and Jackson have the potential to be all pro type players. He said that Darnold will be solid, but nothing special. He said that Baker and Rosen were too cocky for their taste and both he felt had a high chance of busting. The scouts team has an all pro QB but they met with all of the top QB's to get a good grasp of their strengths and weaknesses. He said that Allen's coaching he received in college was garbage, and Allen has a ton of bad habits because of it. He said that both Allen and Jackson were like sponges, they really paid attention to what was said, and even though both were weak when reviewing defenses, they listened. Baker and Rosen seemed like know it alls and he felt their ego would impact how well they learned. He said that Allen and Jackson are just barely scratching the surface of what they can do. If Allen fell to 11, I would laugh first because it is the second time a top prospect has fallen to Miami during Gase's tenure. I would draft him, and hope he Phins do. The can be said for any of the top 4 QB's. If Miami trades back, I would love for them to target Lamar Jackson, and pick up a 3rd so that they can move up to the top of the second to draft Hurst, or Goedert.

Archived