With the 29th pick, the Jaguars select DT Taven Bryan

pwny

Ugh...Bryan...this is a pick that's going to be damn tough to grade. He's not going to make a lot of impact his rookie year, so that's already a wash. At the earliest, he really won't get significant snaps until after this season. Like, on paper this sounds great. And maybe he'll live up to his athletic potential, but I have a feeling this is going to be a pick we're going to regret.

On paper, we're basically two deep at every single position in that d-line (Yan/Dante, Dareus/Jones, Malik/Bryan, Calais/Smoot). This is basically the ultimate luxury pick.

19 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I still just dont know what to think. The main reason i didnt want to go QB was because i wanted to take our shot now and going OL/TE/WR would have filled a need with several good ones available. Bryan just seems like a luxury and while I'm not hating it, I'm not ecstatic. 

It's precisely because we're taking a shot now that a QB made sense at 29th especially with Jackson there.

If Blake goes down for a long stretch, or during the playoffs, we are throtting Cody Kessler as our starting QB guys.

And then...thats it.

Another prime years of Calais, Malik, Telvin, Church, Gipson down the drain.  Another year of runmimg fournette into the ground. Another year towards having to make tough decisions with our cap.

And another year of everyone still asking QB questions...

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Ummm some of us have work in the morning lol

Can't fall asleep or else the debits won't equal the credits and that aint good

I have an 8 AM followed by work, I get it. Just was odd how quick everyone left.

It was no secret who I wanted but obviously as time goes on, I get more excited about the pick.

I talked about thinking ahead when it comes to the DT position because they have some big money decisions to make after 2018 or 2019.

They told us they were going to go BPA and that is exactly what they did. They stayed true to their board. 

Calais played 801 snaps (during the regular season- the most among D-Lineman on the Jags) this past season and you could tell he started to wear down as the season went on. Malik played 750 snaps. I think Smoot is going to get more playing time next year. He flashed in the times he stepped on the field.

Yes, this is a pick towards the future but this kid can make an impact this season. The fact we can rotate so many guys and keep everyone fresh is going to be so huge.

Campbell/Smoot

Dareus/Abry

Malik/Bryan

Ngakoue/Fowler

Goodnight

1 hour ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

It was no secret who I wanted but obviously as time goes on, I get more excited about the pick.

I talked about thinking ahead when it comes to the DT position because they have some big money decisions to make after 2018 or 2019.

They told us they were going to go BPA and that is exactly what they did. They stayed true to their board. 

Calais played 801 snaps (during the regular season- the most among D-Lineman on the Jags) this past season and you could tell he started to wear down as the season went on. Malik played 750 snaps. I think Smoot is going to get more playing time next year. He flashed in the times he stepped on the field.

Yes, this is a pick towards the future but this kid can make an impact this season. The fact we can rotate so many guys and keep everyone fresh is going to be so huge.

Campbell/Smoot

Dareus/Abry

Malik/Bryan

Ngakoue/Fowler

Goodnight

On paper it sounds great. But Calais did a lot of damage inside on passing downs.  I'm guessing that's where he'll stay and lose some early downs work to smoot/Bryan at the big end.

But still. While it's good to keep Malik and Campbell fresh, will the replacements actually produce when they are in there.

Smoot had a "solid" season, but he was invisible practically on the stat sheet. Not the kind of value you'd want especially when the guards taken around that spot looks like they will be building blocks.

I feel like the same will happen with Bryan. We'll look at it after the season and think "yeah he had a solid year" while cursing and asking every week why Cann is our starting right guard.

Here's hoping they can address that spot...but again,this might be another one of those where the team feels better about the player than seemingly the rest of the NFL world.

Archived