Vikings select...Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

SemperFeist

2 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

The people who get paid to, and make careers out of making these decisions apparently felt that Hughes increased our chances of winning more than whatever O-lineman they would have taken with that pick.

Not true. The Vikings haven't exactly hid the fact that they thought more offensive linemen would fall to them. They misjudged. If they knew then what they know now they might do something different.

Just now, Cearbhall said:

Not true. The Vikings haven't exactly hid the fact that they thought more offensive linemen would fall to them. They misjudged. If they knew then what they know now they might do something different.

That does not mean that they thought more highly of those linemen than Hughes. Otherwise they would have taken said O-lineman. They obviously thought Hughes wouldn't make it to them in the 2nd round. So, yeah, it is true. 

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

But what they did know, was that they didn’t have any available linemen valued at the 30th pick, otherwise they would have taken one. 

1 minute ago, wcblack34 said:

Aggregate Board:  A board aggregating rankings by people who are not employed by NFL teams.

I am sorry, but that is a terrible argument. Why are you even reading a fan board if you don't think the opinions of people not employed by NFL teams matter?

I am sorry, but that is a terrible argument. Why are you even reading a fan board if you don't think the opinions of people not employed by NFL teams matter?

Why do teams have scouting departments if they do?

Just now, SemperFeist said:

But what they did know, was that they didn’t have any available linemen valued at the 30th pick, otherwise they would have taken one. 

You would like to think so, wouldn't you. But I am not so sure that is reality. The Vikings were hoping one of the offensive guards on the board would fall to them in the second round.  Rick Spielman has mentioned that he looks at positional depth when deciding which position to pick in the draft. He looked at the depth and thought that a guard would fall. In hindsight, he now knows this judgement was incorrect.

Just now, wcblack34 said:

Why do teams have scouting departments if they do?

Yeah, I promise you that team's aren't going to be swayed by a fan board. They are not here reading it. You are. If you are here, arguing that opinions of people that aren't NFL scouts does not matter is a little ridiculous. It isn't ridiculous for NFL teams to have their scouting departments as they are not here reading this stuff. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

You don’t want it to be reality. 

Hence, not worth a first round pick. 

This is not how it works. They have more than one guy rated as first round talent. They pick based on positional depth that they use to judge what may be available at various positions later in the draft. The Vikings have all but admitted, if not straight out admitted, that they misjudged how many interior linemen would be drafted as early as they were.

6 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

they matter conversationally, but that doesn't mean our fans' rankings of players' values and merits have any authoritative basis.

they're merely opinions, often biased, about players these fans haven't even MET!

This is not how it works. They have more than one guy rated as first round talent. They pick based on positional depth that they use to judge what may be available at various positions later in the draft. The Vikings have all but admitted, if not straight out admitted, that they misjudged how many interior linemen would be drafted as early as they were.

That still doesn’t mean that they would have taken one over Hughes at 30. 

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

Yeah, I promise you that team's aren't going to be swayed by a fan board. They are not here reading it. You are. If you are here, arguing that opinions of people that aren't NFL scouts does not matter is a little ridiculous. It isn't ridiculous for NFL teams to have their scouting departments as they are not here reading this stuff. 

No, it's ridiculous for fans, who have no idea how the team valued players, to question their picks before they play a single down. 

Is anyone saying that Hughes was a reach? Anyone? I haven't seen that. Most people, who also are not employed by NFL teams, seemed to like the pick. But really, the only ones who matter liked the pick. And they took him. 

Just now, vike daddy said:

they matter conversationally, but that doesn't mean our fans' rankings of players' values and merits have any authoritative basis.

they're merely opinions, often biased, about players these fans haven't even MET!

Yeah, it is just a starting point like I mentioned. If you have access to something better feel free to use it and let us know about it so we can use it too. We have to work with the information we have.

Yeah, it is just a starting point like I mentioned. If you have access to something better feel free to use it and let us know about it so we can use it too. We have to work with the information we have.

i have no information, nor will be getting any.

i just like watching Viking football and hanging with you guys. for entertainment purposes.

Archived