Vikings select...Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

SemperFeist

32 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Well it had to be fixed after what Green, Tice, Childress, and Frazier did to it for 20 years.

Oh, agreed for sure. And, I think having one dominant side is better than two good sides. I just have serious doubts about the OL.

Feel a little sorry for Hughes this afternoon --

"Welcome to the team, Mike! You're a first round cornerback and we think you've got a ton of upside. 

Anyway, we've given the guy above you on the depth chart a contract extension through 2019 and brought back a 40 year old who's old friends with the head coach to compete for your snaps in nickel and outside. Also in the mix there's another guy who was a top 50 pick from 2016 and a guy who's probably about that good if he stays clean. 

What I'm saying is you'll find coach Priefer's office 2nd door on the right. He'll be walking you through our punt and kick return plays, which are all you'll really need as a rookie. Keep working on your press coverage technique and study Zimmer's pattern match zone principles and we'll get you some snaps at corner starting as soon as we can. November or December 2019 sound OK? "

44 minutes ago, whitehops said:

you may feel bad for hughes but i'm scratching my head at holton hill. why on earth would he sign with a team as stacked at CB as we are? i guess he really respects jerry gray.

Unless you really love Sherels or think Newman is the way to go, we really need a young #5

55 minutes ago, Klomp said:

LOL, whatever the staff does, they can't win.

I'm not complaining. They have by far the best collection of talent at cornerback in the league. They had the best defense in the league last year, and they went out this offseason and got significantly better. 

I do think it's at least a little funny that a guy who was drafted 30th overall is going to have to fight his way through multiple established NFL starters to get playing time if he wants to be a full time starter before 2020. Pre-draft he might've had dreams of a DROY season like Lattimore, and now he finds himself 4th or 5th on the depth chart. 

I'm sure it'll only make him better in the long run. 

1. Rhodes

2. Waynes

3.  Newman

4. Alexander

5. Hughes 

6. Hill

I don’t care how good of a punt returner Marcus Sherels is, if Hill shows anything like he did at Texas, and he can stay clean, there’s no way that I’d give Sherels that roster spot. 

I also would not be shocked to see Newman retire during training camp, if it’s looking like others have passed him by on the depth chart. 

2 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

Is Marcus Sherels a camp cut or does the team actually think they can sneak Holton Hill onto the practice squad...  Or is Terence Newman a camp cut that can be mid season CB injury insurance in free agency?

Don’t see Hill sitting on the practice squad, some team will ****** him. Sounds like there was a fair amount of teams looking to sign him and we paid the most to get him.

3 hours ago, whitehops said:

you may feel bad for hughes but i'm scratching my head at holton hill. why on earth would he sign with a team as stacked at CB as we are? i guess he really respects jerry gray.

Respects Jerry Gray

We paid him the most money. 

The best way to learn is playing with some of the best and the best coaches at the position. 

no, i think newman is in it for one more super bowl run. 

i think alexander will get more snaps than him this year. pretty much i think he'll be the fourth corner that rotates in with alexander and helps spell waynes/rhodes if they have to sit a few snaps.it really boggles my mind that a 40 year old will be trying to keep up with these 4.4-running receivers that are 15+ years younger than him.

my guess is that the vikes keep hughes exclusively on the boundary this year despite his size. it's what he knows and it's his quickest path to contributing at a decent level. essentially it's better he knows one position well than knows two positions only adequately. so rhodes and waynes start on the boundary, alexander starts in the slot with newman rotating in and hughes spelling waynes or rhodes if needed.

23 minutes ago, whitehops said:

my guess is that the vikes keep hughes exclusively on the boundary this year despite his size. it's what he knows and it's his quickest path to contributing at a decent level. essentially it's better he knows one position well than knows two positions only adequately. so rhodes and waynes start on the boundary, alexander starts in the slot with newman rotating in and hughes spelling waynes or rhodes if needed.

If they're keeping Hughes exclusively outside, and they're happy with Alexander as the starting nickel, why the hell was CB the 1st round pick this year?! 

That's a recipe for Hughes playing basically not at all except on punt returns (Jeff Badet wins the WR6 spot and does KRs). 

There's no path to Hughes starting as an outside corner before 2020, as long as Rhodes and Waynes stay healthy. 

Only way drafting corner that high makes sense is if they're not happy with Alexander as a starting nickel currently, or as a long-term prospect. It's not like they drafted another more typical slot corner later in the draft, or as a UDFA (Hill isn't a typical NCB). 

Hughes has prototypical size (compact build), movement skills (more quick than fast, good jumper) and ball skills (very good hands) to be an excellent nickel corner. God help me if they don't at least try him in that role in preseason this year. 

Archived