Vikings select...Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

SemperFeist

Just now, Kparty15 said:

I just read a rumor that the Bears were trying to trade back into the 1st round to take Hughes.

They did mention the Bears last night were trying very hard to get back into the first round.

Hughes wasn't the pick I wanted or expected. That said, I'm not at all upset with it. We get a high upside player at a premium position. We have a lot of salary questions coming up at the CB spot, and this gives us excellent flexibility. Additionally, we got an electric return man who gives us even more salary flexibility if he can outperform Sherels. I like the pick, and there is some decent O-Line depth left in the draft. I would have been less enthused about it if Ragnow was still on the board. 

To be clear, again, the pick might be very good. But, this team is a SB contendor for the next 2-3 years, and I really believe they need more OL help. This thread reads exactly like the Alexander thread.....or the Waynes thread. Neither of those players helped for 2 years....Alexander may never help much.

Anyway, here is what theringer said:

30. Minnesota Vikings: CB Mike Hughes, UCF

The Vikings have such a deep roster that they could’ve gone in just about any direction here. Taking Hughes makes what’s already a talented secondary even better. Due to legal issues, Hughes left the University of North Carolina for Garden City Community College before eventually ending up at UCF. The athletic defensive back surrendered a measly 35.5 passer rating in coverage with four picks and 11 pass breakups for UCF in 2017.

Fit: A+
Value: A-

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/4/26/17288060/2018-nfl-draft-grades

Can't consider this a home run because it wasnt our biggest need. But Spielman is thinking a couple years ahead on this one - which is what he should be doing.

Hernandez would have been a beast but obviously we didn't love him THAT much. 

Short term Hughes should be a nickel early and play on multiple special teams. The guy has huge potential and allows us to let Waynes go if he commands too much.

Myles of Climbing the Pocket had him as the #1 corner and was gushing about his change of direction and mirroring skills. Hughes gave up one pass over 20 yards all year. And he is hella physical which is always a plus.

If our line is gonna be weak again in pass pro at least we will have a good player in literally every slot on defense.

I wouldn't mind if we add an end or a rush linebacker that could play behind Barr and even rotate in for certain packages.

Live that Zimmer hinted at using 1 safety 4 corner looks next year. So many teams isolate the SS in spread so for 3rd and longs its genius.

Alexander is now a strength at 4th corner instead of a guy we needed to make a leap with Newman gone. 

It's a very unsexy B pick but it's at a valuable position so I'm down

2 minutes ago, SammyBradwater said:

I really think that this is more about preparing the team for the future and making sure they have a cheap CB on a rookie deal while on of the others goes. I could also see the VIkes trading up into the upper 2nd round to take their OL.

I love your user name!

Archived