Vikings select...Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

SemperFeist

11 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

My CB draft board was Ward > Jackson > Hughes = Alexander ...... Oliver

GB grabbing that extra 1st round was really good on their side though

I just noticed that Mike Mayock has Josh Jackson at #44 on his big board.

12 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

What makes Hughes any different from Alexander?

He’s an outside cornerback who only projects to nickel/slot based on his athleticism and size. But he has virtually no experience there.

He had 18 more snaps from the slot than Alexander did in college.  It's not out of the question for me that they move Alexander back to his more natural outside position to replace Waynes in a couple of years while Hughes takes over the slot.  

1 minute ago, disaacs said:

He had 18 more snaps from the slot than Alexander did in college.  It's not out of the question for me that they move Alexander back to his more natural outside position to replace Waynes in a couple of years while Hughes takes over the slot.  

Exactly my thought as well. Hughes has the physical traits to be a very good slot corner (quick feet, fluid hips, speedy, seamless transitions). Zim says it’s a difficult position to learn and I have no idea how quickly Hughes can pick it up, but he looks like a natural fit. Alexander, on the other hand, looks to be a better fit on the outside. 

6 minutes ago, disaacs said:

23 snaps from the slot out of 800 total snaps. That doesn’t show that Hughes can play the slot any better than Alexander. We’re still taking an outside CB and projecting him inside. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

If you’re looking for a slot defender, why not simply take Justin Reid?

He’s bigger, faster, quicker, and has 17x more snaps from the slot than Hughes. 

why are you under the assumption that Hughes is only going to play in the slot?

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

What makes Hughes any different from Alexander?

He’s an outside cornerback who only projects to nickel/slot based on his athleticism and size. But he has virtually no experience there.

You said it - athleticism.  Alexander only projects there because of his size but he is not quick.  If he takes the wrong angle or a false step he isn't capable of recovering.

2 minutes ago, Freakout said:

You said it - athleticism.  Alexander only projects there because of his size but he is not quick.  If he takes the wrong angle or a false step he isn't capable of recovering.

what? he has excellent quickness. 86th percentile in the 3-cone drill.

his SPARQ score puts him in the 73rd percentile of all NFL CBs

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If you’re looking for a slot defender, why not simply take Justin Reid?

He’s bigger, faster, quicker, and has 17x more snaps from the slot than Hughes. 

I actually like Reid so I wouldn't have been upset if they took him.  Clearly the team liked Hughes more.

4 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

what? he has excellent quickness. 86th percentile in the 3-cone drill.

his SPARQ score puts him in the 73rd percentile of all NFL CBs

Alexander?  7.18 3 cone.  How in the world is that excellent quickness.  Kendricks and Barr had better 3 cone times.

Archived