Vikings select...Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

SemperFeist

5 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

So one? One time? Nice track record.

Is this entire debate relevant if the Vikes take an OG in round two?

Im not all in on OL in round two, I'd again have to see the board but I think the Vikes missed out on value once the run of Price, Ragnow and Wynn happened. There seemed to be a steep decline in value whereas CB still had/has some strong talent.

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

If they don't get an o-lineman tomorrow, I wouldn't blame you for raging on here, but I think they deserve a chance to see what they do tomorrow

Fair, but that's literally what has been said here for years, and it hasn't worked at all. On the OL

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

So one? One time? Nice track record.

But by that logic, then why ever take a O-lineman? We are just bound to fail. Or is it if we take someone like Hernandez or Williams in the 1st they would be a success, but now if we take them in the 2nd then they will bust... I get that we need O-line, but the draft isn’t done and the round a player is selected doesn’t define success. Sure, you can assume that the later someone is selected will correlate to success, but it is far from a certainty.

Mike Hughes’ stats from last year are really impressive. Those being shown on Twitter:

Did not give up a TD last year.

One 20+ yard reception allowed all season (21 yarder).

On 14 deep targets, only allowed the one, intercepted three.

Surrendered only 273 yards and had a QBR  against him of only 35.5.

These stats are even more impressive when you consider it was on a Scott Frost offense (very up tempo offense that doesn’t allow the defense much breaks and forces the opposing O to pass a lot).

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

Fair, but that's literally what has been said here for years, and it hasn't worked at all. On the OL

They haven't tried drafting one in the 2nd and only elfein in the 3rd lately. I have a hard time thinking that they don't have a plan to replace Berger besides promoting someone

5 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

But by that logic, then why ever take a O-lineman? We are just bound to fail. Or is it if we take someone like Hernandez or Williams in the 1st they would be a success, but now if we take them in the 2nd then they will bust... I get that we need O-line, but the draft isn’t done and the round a player is selected doesn’t define success. Sure, you can assume that the later someone is selected will correlate to success, but it is far from a certainty.

It doesn't work because they think they can find OL after round three, over and over. I've been very consistent, take some, not one, OL in the first three rounds. And every year people say they will, and they almost never do. And then they have to sign two starting OL in one year. .. And still need more

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

dbqdyw.jpg

Based on his 3-cone, return ability, and speed on tape... it’s kind of hard to see him running a 4.53. 

Anyone know if he had a pro day 40? Perhaps he just had a bad two runs at the combine.

Im good with this pick if we can get a starting offensive lineman tomorrow. Ive expected CB to be our 1st round pick for a while now, even though i dont 100% agree with it. Even if we have to trade up in the 2nd tomorrow, we need to get an OL. Austin Corbett & Braden Smith are guys that could be there for us in the 2nd. I think we would have to make a trade up for any of Hernandez, Daniels or Williams. 

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

It doesn't work because they think they can find OL after round three, over and over. I've been very consistent, take some, not one, OL in the first three rounds. And every year people say they will, and they almost never do. And then they have to sign two starting OL in one year. ..

I get that. We have missed or not taken O-line early, and then after the 3rd, the guys we have taken have not become big time starters. That doesn’t mean that this will be the case this year though. If after tomorrow we have not selected an O-lineman i’ll be on the same boat as you as far as being upset and concerned, but as of right now there’s no reason to sound the alarm because we haven’t even crossed that threshold yet. The team obviously rated Hughes and his value higher than the lineman who were available, and there has to be a reason for that, but it doesn’t mean that a lineman wasn’t next in line, and it doesn’t mean that a lineman isn’t our top priority as it stands currently. 

5 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Based on his 3-cone, return ability, and speed on tape... it’s kind of hard to see him running a 4.53. 

Anyone know if he had a pro day 40? Perhaps he just had a bad two runs at the combine.

I agree. The kid looks like a lower 4.4 guy. Strange.

Archived