Vikings select...Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

SemperFeist

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

That’s another way of saying that you’re not expecting him to play much, or contribute, during first year. Sounds great for a team that’s considered to be in the middle of a Super Bowl contending window. 

Not playing much is a consequence of having a team that's stacked with talent all over the field. To me being able to sit for a year and learning the position/scheme sounds like a fantastic idea. This is a long term move to keep our strengths strong and to avoid paying too much money to the corner positon  

Maybe more of us will feel better about this pick after we get some offensive line help in the next couple of rounds.  As of now, I'm underwhelmed with this guy for the following reasons:

-  CB is not a huge need for us right now.  To me, it was more of a luxury pick.
-  Zim likes tall corners.  Hughes is on the short side.
-  I'm no expert on this draft class, but it sure sounds like there were better players available.
-  The Knucklehead Factor.  Hughes has it, and I don't like it.
-  A short cornerback taken with better players available.  Pretty much what the Packers did, but we didn't get a first-round pick in next year's draft like they did.
-  I think all three other NFC North teams improved more than we did last night.  I know they all made their selections earlier, but I think we could have closed the gap with any one of several different players.
- While I can appreciate that Zim likes tinkering with the defense, I hope he remembers how he got his backside handed to him by Philadelphia last year, in great part, because they dominated us in the trenches.

On the positive side, I do like that kick return TD he had in the video that was posted.  He looked a little like Percy Harvin in that play. 

7 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I think all three other NFC North teams improved more than we did last night.  I know they all made their selections earlier, but I think we could have closed the gap with any one of several different players.

I don't know if this is a valid point of criticism. That's the NFL draft working by design.

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Do we still re-sign Newman as the #5 or just stick with Sherels as the #5?

IMO Sherels is a returner only. He is not on the depth chart there. I love Sherels but the team should not be counting on him as part of their CB depth chart.

8 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

For those of you not familiar with Hughes, one of my favorite youtubers actually mocked Hughes to us and broke him down (at around 59:40 if the link doesn't work)

Shameless self bump simply because the thread was too hot for it to get noticed last night. I personally really  like the pick and I think that with proper development, Hughes is similar to Waynes but with  better ball skills.

13 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Maybe more of us will feel better about this pick after we get some offensive line help in the next couple of rounds.  As of now, I'm underwhelmed with this guy for the following reasons:

-  CB is not a huge need for us right now.  To me, it was more of a luxury pick.
-  Zim likes tall corners.  Hughes is on the short side.
-  I'm no expert on this draft class, but it sure sounds like there were better players available.
-  The Knucklehead Factor.  Hughes has it, and I don't like it.
-  A short cornerback taken with better players available.  Pretty much what the Packers did, but we didn't get a first-round pick in next year's draft like they did.
-  I think all three other NFC North teams improved more than we did last night.  I know they all made their selections earlier, but I think we could have closed the gap with any one of several different players.
- While I can appreciate that Zim likes tinkering with the defense, I hope he remembers how he got his backside handed to him by Philadelphia last year, in great part, because they dominated us in the trenches.

On the positive side, I do like that kick return TD he had in the video that was posted.  He looked a little like Percy Harvin in that play. 

Maybe Zimmer prefers tall CBs but starters he's had, Hall, Joseph, Newman are all under 6 ft. Hughes fits this mold.

23 minutes ago, MattVikings said:

Not playing much is a consequence of having a team that's stacked with talent all over the field. To me being able to sit for a year and learning the position/scheme sounds like a fantastic idea. This is a long term move to keep our strengths strong and to avoid paying too much money to the corner positon  

We are far from stacked on the offensive side of the ball. 

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Alexander, Newman, Dennard, and Hughes are all first or second round CBs drafted under 6 foot. 

Only Kirkpatrick, Rhodes, and Wayne’s have been over 6 foot. 

And a Zimmer wasn’t a part of drafting Rhodes. 

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'm hardly one to question Mike Zimmer when it comes to defense.  I just hope we didn't take Hughes to too much of a detriment to the offense.

As much as I like Zimmer, this is generally the feeling that I get from him. If he had it his way, it seems as though he’d use every pick on the defense.  

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

We are far from stacked on the offensive side of the ball. 

Had we drafted offense in the first there's only 2 positions (guard and right tackle) that could have garnered a starter, any other position would have been a backup. Sounds pretty stacked to me.

I can somewhat understand peoples frustrations with the pick. We're in "SB windows" right now, so the thought process is why not address the weakest position group on day one. I had speculated that CB was going to be the value pick at the end of the 1st round, if they were not extremely high on any one OL. Even tho I didn't quantify it at the time, Hughes was prolly 5th on my board once we were on the clock, so I'm not upset with the selection.

It's a move to set up, potentially not having to extend or pick up option for Waynes, maybe even to trade him. It's more so a pick for next year, or later this year. Sherels can't play CB for us, and Waynes didn't develop as we hoped. Possibly no idea on Newman.

I'm pleased we did not take WR, RB or a "much later ranked" player.

Archived