Vikings select...Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

SemperFeist

1 minute ago, MattVikings said:

Had we drafted offense in the first there's only 2 positions (guard and right tackle) that could have garnered a starter, any other position would have been a backup. Sounds pretty stacked to me.

It’s almost like we’re going to need a starter, then. Shame we passed on a few, for a backup...

This team has a glaring hole on the right side of the offensive line. And there are 2-3 other spots along that that should easily be looked at as needing an upgrade. 

17 minutes ago, MattVikings said:

Had we drafted offense in the first there's only 2 positions (guard and right tackle) that could have garnered a starter, any other position would have been a backup. Sounds pretty stacked to me.

I would say TE could qualify, but wouldn't have taken one at 30.

9 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I like a CB pick, much preferred over OL at this point. Alexander hasn't impressed and I don't see how you pay Waynes $9m next year with all the FAs.

I'm absolutely fine with the pick.  I was not a fan of Hernandez as a fit in the scheme, and would have preferred Connor Williams, but have no issues with taking someone who quite a few consider the BPA at that point in the draft.  

10 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I'm absolutely fine with the pick.  I was not a fan of Hernandez as a fit in the scheme, and would have preferred Connor Williams, but have no issues with taking someone who quite a few consider the BPA at that point in the draft.  

While initially upset with the pick, many of the mock drafts I've seen had him going 14th overall to the Packers.  Surprised he lasted as long as he did, often regarded as the 2nd or 3rd best CB in this draft.

22 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

While initially upset with the pick, many of the mock drafts I've seen had him going 14th overall to the Packers.  Surprised he lasted as long as he did, often regarded as the 2nd or 3rd best CB in this draft.

2nd or 3rd CB vs 6th or 7th OL. Classic BPA pick. Let's review all the pre draft threads and see how many times we suggest draft BPA.

9 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

This is a very smart pick. Outstanding prospect at a premiere position, and I strongly disagree with the idea that corner was not a need in this Draft.

I have RG, CB and DE as the top three needs. I'd hope value dictates these sections.

I really like this pick as well.  I think Hughes could easily end up being the 2nd best CB in this draft.  Without question Ward should be the best in this draft.  Jackson and Oliver are much better fits in a zone scheme.  Alexander is a better fit as an off ball CB like the Packers use, but he isn’t nearly as physical of a player as Hughes and is injury prone.  Hughes can play man or zone, inside or outside, off or press, offers top level return ability, and is almost as good against the run/screen game as he is against the pass.  I don’t think this pick necessarily means that Trae Waynes is gone, but it is very good insurance in case that happens.

22 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

2nd or 3rd CB vs 6th or 7th OL. Classic BPA pick. Let's review all the pre draft threads and see how many times we suggest draft BPA.

5th DB drafted versus what would have been the 2nd guard drafted :P

I agree with taking BPA.

11 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

This is a very smart pick. Outstanding prospect at a premiere position, and I strongly disagree with the idea that corner was not a need in this Draft.

Once Wynn was drafted I lost interest in taking an offensive lineman at 30.  Ragnow, Wynn, and Price were the 3 guys I wanted at guard.

I really like Hughes as a player.  The mistake was taking Alexander two years ago over Whitehair.  He never was a good fit for the nickle spot.  Since we took Alexandar everyone assumes we are set at CB and should just wait around for development.  I say it is better to realize you screwed up and get the right player on the roster.

2 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

I really like this pick as well.  I think Hughes could easily end up being the 2nd best CB in this draft.  Without question Ward should be the best in this draft.  Jackson and Oliver are much better fits in a zone scheme.  Alexander is a better fit as an off ball CB like the Packers use, but he isn’t nearly as physical of a player as Hughes and is injury prone.  Hughes can play man or zone, inside or outside, off or press, offers top level return ability, and is almost as good against the run/screen game as he is against the pass.  I don’t think this pick necessarily means that Trae Waynes is gone, but it is very good insurance in case that happens.

My CB draft board was Ward > Jackson > Hughes = Alexander ...... Oliver

GB grabbing that extra 1st round was really good on their side though

Even though I was really wanting a top OL at this position this was probably the better pick.  I was initially upset that the Lions and Bengals reached on Ragnow and Price, the two guys that I really wanted at 30, but that type of thing was out of our control.  I’m guessing that Isaiah Wynn will end up playing LT for the Patriots.  I had all 3 of those guys ranked significantly higher than Hernandez, but they weren’t on the board.  The only OL player that I wanted if we stayed at 30 was Connor Williams otherwise I would’ve preferred a trade back and taken BPA OG.  Most of them may not be quite as good a The day one guys, but there are still a ton of good OL prospects available.  If you haven’t seen Daniel Jeremiah’s final mock he actually had Austin Corbett going in the 1st round.  According to Mike Mayocks Big Board:

17. James Daniels

29. Will Hernandez 

39. Austin Corbett

40. Connor Williams

59. Braden Smith

I think that any of these guys would be great picks in the 2nd that could come in and start for us.

Archived