Preseason Week 1: Pittsburgh Steelers @ New York Giants

Acgott

I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO ready for tonight.  Game should be a fun one to watch with all the additions to the roster.  

Players and positions that I'll be focused on:

Defense

1. Middle Linebacker - Second year BJ Goodson
  2. Defensive Tackle opposite Snacks
  3. Free Safety 
  4. Eli Apple's progression from last year.

Offense

1. Erik Flowers at left tackle
  2. The entire Right side of the line
  3. Running success or failures
  4. Rookie Quarterback
  5. Receiving core with the additions of Brandon and rookie Engram at TE
  6. Is Ellison's contract gonna pay off

List is pretty long but I'll provide my analysis after the game.  

Good Luck Giants.  

13 hours ago, Gmen said:

I'm in!  Pretty awesome new forum!

It's funny... for years I've been clamoring for an update to the old forum. I finally get something and I'm like meh.... I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

As far as the game last night.. not much to take away from it really. I was really impressed with Rosas though. He made that 52 yarder with ease... I hope BMac goes with him

I watched the full game because I have no life.

On defense

• Bottom line is it's going to be great again
  • Landon Collins, Olivier Vernon, Jay Bromley all flashed with the first team
  • Dalvin Tomlinson had a few good plays including one where he just bull rushed his man into the backfield.  He'll be in the rotation as a rookie
  • BJ Goodson was up and down.  Slow to react one play, but his sack really showed what he can become if he plays aggressive and diagnosis quickly
  • Devin Taylor and Kerry Wynn both looked good even though is was against 2nd and 3rd stringers
  • Nat Berhe had a rough night

On Offense

• Josh Johnson looked lost so it was hard to evaluate the rest of the offensive players in the first quarter
  • Things went much more smoothly with Geno Smith who I think should definitely be the #2
  • Rhett Ellison made plays and was targeted in the passing game.  Reminded me of Brandon Myers size-wise.  Supposed to be a better blocker though.
  • We'll see a lot more 2 TE sets this year with Ellison and Engram.  Engram can line up in-line and out wide.  Ellison can line up in-line and in the backfield. No more 11 personnel 90% of the time.
  • Jerrell Adams is a big man and moves pretty well, he'll be the #3.  Don't buy the Lacosse hype.
  • None of the receivers really stood out.  Don't except much contribution outside of OBJ, Marshall and Sheppard
  • Offensive line is still not getting a push in the run game, though the Steelers front is pretty stout
  • Wheeler got beat several times as an LT. For those wishing Flowers can be displaced, it's not going to happen.
  • Davis Webb made some quick decisions with the ball and he has some zip on his throws

There was a fumble by Rudolph on a KR and a muff by Deayon on a PR.  We really should just consider going back to someone reliable like Dwayne Harris even though he's lost some of his explosion.

1 hour ago, Shockey1979 said:

It's funny... for years I've been clamoring for an update to the old forum. I finally get something and I'm like meh.... I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

As far as the game last night.. not much to take away from it really. I was really impressed with Rosas though. He made that 52 yarder with ease... I hope BMac goes with him

I'd just like to say that you're wrong.  This is state of the art forum technology brah!  ;)

I don't want to overreact either way off of PS1 but a few observations :

1. Glad Rosas hit both his kicks. I don't want this competition to turn into a controversy. Have to give the young kid the job and see where it goes. 

2. BJ Goodson looked as fast as advertised. He made some mistakes but took steps in the right direction. 

3. This DL is deep and talented. We are going to be great on D. 

4. Please no Josh Johnson. I don't get it. He has no experience and looks lost out there. He provides no value to this team except maybe as a speedy qb on the scout team, which does not warrant a 53 man spot. Give geno the job and hopefully we never have to use him. 

5. OBJ didn't play and still the NFL social media accounts posted about him dozens of times. They are so thirsty for some Odell ??

Archived