49ers Select Richie James, WR, Middle Tennessee at #240 Overall

y2lamanaki

Very simply, he is direct competition for Taylor for the future@slot WR. I understand Pettis plays there as a rookie but he was definelty drafted more so as Garcon's heir apparent. But James is a faster, more explosive slot option, while Taylor is the more shiftier, more route-saavy of the two. Will be a interesting battle between these two.

5 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Very simply, he is direct competition for Taylor for the future@slot WR. I understand Pettis plays there as a rookie but he was definelty drafted more so as Garcon's heir apparent. But James is a faster, more explosive slot option, while Taylor is the more shiftier, more route-saavy of the two. Will be a interesting battle between these two.

I think they'll both get their playing time, and their role. Well, maybe James will be eased in at first. But I think Taylor will force Jimmy to throw him the ball. If James does too, then that's a good problem to have. It will stretch the defense thin, and will open up opportunities for big plays. We don't have a true #1 WR, but I feel like our passing offense will be very hard to stop either way. We have too many good receiving options for defenses to focus on any one of them.

I finally watched several highlight films on him. I really like his run after catch ability. A lot of our kind of offense depends on YAC and he looks like he's really good at that. At 5'10" and about 180 and 6 reps on the bench press test his problem is likely to be jamming at the line and press coverage. Seems to me that Robinson and Bourne would be the bubble guys he'd have to beat out.

Archived