Boston Celtics vs Philadelphia Sixers - The Process Needs Refinement

resilient part 2

5 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I mean Simmons sucks. Fultz isn’t getting a chance and McConnell should be starting at this point. Simmons needs to work on a shot. His confidence is the only thing he’s shot thus far.

Simmons had some key mistakes tonight for sure. He's so out of sync right now. Looks lost and like he doesn't know what to do. The Celtics defensively are definitely in his head right now.

It definitely has been running a lot smoother with McConnell. I want to agree that Fultz should be getting at least some minutes but I imagine the Celtics would just be defending him the same way they're defending Simmons.

This series has been a revelation on Covington. He's so bad. You can't have players this inconsistent. I don't want him on the Sixers going forward at all. And I think this series has also been a big revelation on Saric. He's got some serious defensive issues and he's also pretty inconsistent.

This series should be an eye opener for the Sixers. They aren't competing for a title or even the East until Simmons and Fultz can shoot. Short of adding LeBron James, it doesn't matter if they bring in a star. They won't reach their ceiling until Simmons and Fultz can keep defenses honest with a shot. And LeBron isn't coming to this team with guys like Covington and Saric around.

At the start of next season, Simmons will be 22 and Fultz will be 20. Will be interesting to see if they ever develop (or for Fultz, get back) a shot and how long that might take. Will be more of this series against good teams in the playoffs until that happens.

3 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

Simmons had some key mistakes tonight for sure. He's so out of sync right now. Looks lost and like he doesn't know what to do. The Celtics defensively are definitely in his head right now.

It definitely has been running a lot smoother with McConnell. I want to agree that Fultz should be getting at least some minutes but I imagine the Celtics would just be defending him the same way they're defending Simmons.

This series has been a revelation on Covington. He's so bad. You can't have players this inconsistent. I don't want him on the Sixers going forward at all. And I think this series has also been a big revelation on Saric. He's got some serious defensive issues and he's also pretty inconsistent.

This series should be an eye opener for the Sixers. They aren't competing for a title or even the East until Simmons and Fultz can shoot. Short of adding LeBron James, it doesn't matter if they bring in a star. They won't reach their ceiling until Simmons and Fultz can keep defenses honest with a shot. And LeBron isn't coming to this team with guys like Covington and Saric around.

At the start of next season, Simmons will be 22 and Fultz will be 20. Will be interesting to see if they ever develop (or for Fultz, get back) a shot and how long that might take. Will be more of this series against good teams in the playoffs until that happens.

Lots of Sixers fans/posters in here I believe have made unreal expectations. I believe yours to be a very fair and honest assessment. 

5 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

13 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

Lots of Sixers fans/posters in here I believe have made unreal expectations. I believe yours to be a very fair and honest assessment. 

I was guilty of having unrealistic expectations too. The way Simmons was playing had me believing they had a shot at the East this year especially with Kyrie out.

Honestly, the Celtics B team doing this to Ben must be a reality check for him. It sure was for me.

The one positive about this series is that I feel better about Embiid than I did before and I already had really high expectations for him. That dude is out there working. Yeah, his lines aren't his best ever. But when you watch the games, you see that outside of McConnell, no other Sixer has been playing as hard as him. His play is really what seems to have made the last two games close. I think that if Ben/Fultz develops a shot or if they add some players that can be an offensive threat, that should help Embiid become more efficient.

A lot of times today, Ben just stood and dribbled until there was ~10 seconds on the shot clock and would just force it to Embiid and he'd have to force a ridiculous shot (that he makes more than one would expect).

This whole Trust the Process thing is really going to hinge entirely on Simmons' and Fultz's shot development. And that's scary. Because last off-season, we went into it thinking the whole Process hinged on Embiid staying healthy. Part of me wonders if Simmons ever really be able to develop a shot. I remember how that was the knock on Rondo for so long. And if it was so easy for everyone to just develop a shot, wouldn't Rondo have put in the time to do that? I no longer think it's a given that Simmons does and I can see now that it was really foolish to think it was a given he would. Probably more of a chance that Fultz's shot comes back.

12 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

I was guilty of having unrealistic expectations too. The way Simmons was playing had me believing they had a shot at the East this year especially with Kyrie out.

Honestly, the Celtics B team doing this to Ben must be a reality check for him. It sure was for me.

The one positive about this series is that I feel better about Embiid than I did before and I already had really high expectations for him. That dude is out there working. Yeah, his lines aren't his best ever. But when you watch the games, you see that outside of McConnell, no other Sixer has been playing as hard as him. His play is really what seems to have made the last two games close. I think that if Ben/Fultz develops a shot or if they add some players that can be an offensive threat, that should help Embiid become more efficient.

A lot of times today, Ben just stood and dribbled until there was ~10 seconds on the shot clock and would just force it to Embiid and he'd have to force a ridiculous shot (that he makes more than one would expect).

This whole Trust the Process thing is really going to hinge entirely on Simmons' and Fultz's shot development. And that's scary. Because last off-season, we went into it thinking the whole Process hinged on Embiid staying healthy. Part of me wonders if Simmons ever really be able to develop a shot. I remember how that was the knock on Rondo for so long. And if it was so easy for everyone to just develop a shot, wouldn't Rondo have put in the time to do that? I no longer think it's a given that Simmons does and I can see now that it was really foolish to think it was a given he would. Probably more of a chance that Fultz's shot comes back.

Philly really needs to land a star level FA next year. I still feel, even with the continued development of Simmons/Fultz, they will need another GO-TO type player.  

2 hours ago, MookieMonster said:

I'm all aboard the trade Kyrie train. Rozier is a step back but we will pay him 30% of what we'll have to pay Kyrie.

I haven't watched Rozier a ton but this seems myopic. He's had a good series but his numbers as a starter overall haven't been great

@RollEagles Unrealistic three team trade this off season that none of these teams would want to trade their guy, (right?):

Celtics get Lauri Markkanen, TJ McConnell

6ers get Kyrie Irving, Marcus Morris, 2018 Lakers 1st pick (2-5 overall) OR 2019 Sixers 1st pick conveyance back from Celtics and 2019 Clippers 1st pick conveyance

Bulls get Ben Simmons, Robert Covington

Then LeBron opts out of Cleveland and signs with Philly.

Irving/Fultz

Reddick/Belinelli

James/Saric

Morris/Ilyasova

Embiid/Johnson/Holmes

4 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

@RollEagles Unrealistic three team trade this off season that none of these teams would want to trade their guy, (right?):

6ers get Kyrie Irving, Marcus Morris, 2019 Sixers 1st pick conveyance back from Celtics and 2019 Clippers 1st pick conveyance

Irving/Fultz

Reddick/Belinelli

James/Saric

Morris/Ilyasova

Embiid/Johnson/Holmes

The Celtics give up Kyrie Irving and two number one picks and only get Laurie?? Why would Boston think of doing that that would be a horrible trade for the Celtics

18 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

The Celtics give up Kyrie Irving and two number one picks and only get Laurie?? Why would Boston think of doing that that would be a horrible trade for the Celtics

The Clippers pick conveys to a second round pick after 2020 if it’s any higher than the middle of the first round, (which is likely given the state of the Clippers now). The Sixers first is what it would take to get it done with Simmons being shipped and Irving having a player option for 2019 on his contract. It’s stability for the 6ers in a way. Morris added in cause of power forward after Covington’s contract gets dumped to Chicago, and he is from Philly. C’s get a starting caliber guard in McConnell to split with Rozier and Smart once they get re-signed. Just tried to sweeten it up to overcompensate the 6ers since the post was to a Sixers fan. In reality it may not be so expensive but who knows. It’s a crazy trade scenario as stated. The potential for the Celtics to get a big with range like Lauri is huge for Stevens system though. Consistent, clutch shooter with elite shot range plus very good handling the ball, and sturdy rebounding. Versatility to play power forward and center. Portzingas can’t guard him. Embiid would probably have a tough time as well.

Rozier/McConnell/Larkin

Tatum/Smart

Hayward/Brown

Markkanen/Ojeleye/Yabusele

Horford/Baynes/Theis

Of course, I like what the Celtics have in Irving and co. already. This just offers more cap flexibility. Irving’s knee condition is cause for concern but he just turned 26 towards the end of March, so you’d think his prime will stretch another four seasons safely.

9 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

The Clippers pick conveys to a second round pick after 2020 if it’s any higher than the middle of the first round, (which is likely given the state of the Clippers now). The Sixers first is what it would take to get it done with Simmons being shipped and Irving having a player option for 2019 on his contract. It’s stability for the 6ers in a way. Morris added in cause of power forward after Covington’s contract gets dumped to Chicago, and he is from Philly. C’s get a starting caliber guard in McConnell to split with Rozier and Smart once they get re-signed. Just tried to sweeten it up to overcompensate the 6ers since the post was to a Sixers fan. In reality it may not be so expensive but who knows. It’s a crazy trade scenario as stated. The potential for the Celtics to get a big with range like Lauri is huge for Stevens system though. Consistent, clutch shooter with elite shot range plus very good handling the ball, and sturdy rebounding. Versatility to play power forward and center. Portzingas can’t guard him. Embiid would probably have a tough time as well.

Rozier/McConnell/Larkin

Tatum/Smart

Hayward/Brown

Markkanen/Ojeleye/Yabusele

Horford/Baynes/Theis

Well you said it it's an unrealistic trade anyhow. But on that note I hope the Celtics can draft Mortz Wagner,  does 6 ft 11 in shooter from Michigan. While he is no Markkanen, he has that type of size with shooting range that might be able to help the Celtics. Though he needs to get much stronger defensively.

30 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

6ers get Kyrie Irving, Marcus Morris, 2018 Lakers 1st pick (2-5 overall) OR 2019 Sixers 1st pick conveyance back from Celtics and 2019 Clippers 1st pick conveyance

Irving/Fultz

Reddick/Belinelli

James/Saric

Morris/Ilyasova

Embiid/Johnson/Holmes

wtf

12 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

...because Simmons blows.

He doesn't blow. The talent is undeniably there. He just hasn't faced anything like a Brad Stevens coached defense. And he has absolutely no idea what to do with it. That's fair for a rookie.

But he still needs a shot to be able to neutralize that.

As for your trade, I don't like it for the Sixers either because Kyrie's injury history is starting to pile up. I wouldn't want to give up Simmons for him considering the age and also considering the assets that they'd be giving up in that deal.

Archived