Official Houston Rockets Thread: Phase 2 on hold

Pastor Dillon

3 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

We signed KPJ to an extension.  Only the first year guaranteed.  I wish we would have offered him as a RFA to see how he does this season.  I'm going to be pissed if we get the 2nd pick and decide to trade it or pass on Scoot Henderson cause we extended Porter Jr. 

Porter got a joke of an extension. Dude must have serious mental problems to be given a deal with this much protection 

8 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Porter got a joke of an extension. Dude must have serious mental problems to be given a deal with this much protection 

He just didn't have much leverage. He has a very bad reputation around the league. This gives him a goal to reach and stay focused. He'll get rewarded with a great deal if he keeps up his end.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I don’t mind being bad, because we are young but guys don’t seem to be getting better. We need a new coach. 3 straight seasons with the worst record is unheard of. 

yeah Silas is clearly not a HC.  Other teams with less talent than us are playing better.  I dont mind the losing but the way we are losing is pissing me off.  His rotations are poor and he is wasting talent.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Silas has to go. Eason having a career game and he’s been benched at the end. Dude doesn’t know how to handle rotations. 

Yeah I'm at wits end with him.  Went to the game vs the Pacers Friday night and he basically confirmed what I have been saying. Worst coach in Nba history. 

11 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Yeah I'm at wits end with him.  Went to the game vs the Pacers Friday night and he basically confirmed what I have been saying. Worst coach in Nba history. 

I’m going to the memphis game in March, might go to both, they play Wednesday and Friday nights on our spring break. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That'll be a blast. I've never been to an NBA game. I've heard they're a pretty fun experience. 

when you go so many times like I have it's not the same as when I started going at a young age.  It really picks up in the playoffs.  That's the best time to go other than when they play a marque opponent.  It also helps if your team is good too.

• 2 weeks later...

We have got some big decisions to make this off season. We aren’t gonna be a contender for the play in this year, so we will be sorting out lots of things from here on 

1. can Silas get this team to 30 wins this year? For me that’s the minimum he needs to keep his job, otherwise we need to look for a new coach. 

2. the day is coming when you have to figure out which 3 or 4 young guys you want long term so that you can build in with vets around them. This leads to big decisions. Smith and Green are locks. Garuba seems like a guy who will be a career bench player, which bodes well for him staying in Houston. Eason is a guy I really love. I’m thinking Sengun, Christopher, and KJ are potential trade assets to get a solid vet. But only time will tell. We probably have another year of this. 

3. what kind of pick will we have? Are we good enough to finished 5th-8th in the lotto or do we claim another top 4 chance at the top pick? 

4. what kind of progress will we see from Green and Smith. Last year Green looked like a bust, not that anyone thought he would be because we all understood his age and youth, but he looked like one early. He stepped it up post all star break. Will him and green do that again?

5. Eric Gordon  we’ve got to get him off the team so we can look at our young guys and really evaluate things. I would love a 1st rounder for the guy, who wouldn’t? What we can’t do is take back bad money. I’m not at all opposed to taking back a guy with guaranteed money next season because any major upgrade we could do would be with a trade and we need an expiring contract. It just can’t be from a guy expecting major minutes  

6. Kevin Porter Jr.  Idk what to make of this guy. He’s on a fairly team friendly deal with loads of protection for us.  I just get a major Russell Westbrook vibe from his playing style and that’s just not conducive to winning in the long term. 

7. Who is the next super star to want out? We have loads of young talent and picks. We can offer up any picks and players outside of Green and Smith and possibly outbid anyone else.  But who could these people be? Maybe Jalen Brown, maybe Luka, maybe Giannis. While those seem unthinkable right now, guys go from cornerstone to demanding a trade quickly in this business  

8. can we be competitive enough to not give OKC a good pick? Will we be bad enough to keep the pick? (Top 4 protected). If we get this pick in 2024 and 2026, then it’s clear Green and Smith were not hits and we are looking at a decade of sucking.  I hope that’s not the case  

• 2 weeks later...

The two most fun games Ive been to during this rebuild process was Tues vs the Sixers and tonight vs the Bucks.  Glad we won tonight for Silas. Jabari held his own vs Greek Freak. 

On 12/3/2022 at 11:03 AM, Pastor Dillon said:

We have got some big decisions to make this off season. We aren’t gonna be a contender for the play in this year, so we will be sorting out lots of things from here on 

1. can Silas get this team to 30 wins this year? For me that’s the minimum he needs to keep his job, otherwise we need to look for a new coach. 

30 wins probably puts us in the 7th or 8th worst record range.   7th worst wouldnt be the end of the world since the 7th worst record always move in the top 4 of the draft under the new lottery rules. 

2. the day is coming when you have to figure out which 3 or 4 young guys you want long term so that you can build in with vets around them. This leads to big decisions. Smith and Green are locks. Garuba seems like a guy who will be a career bench player, which bodes well for him staying in Houston. Eason is a guy I really love. I’m thinking Sengun, Christopher, and KJ are potential trade assets to get a solid vet. But only time will tell. We probably have another year of this.   

I doubt Sengun is a trade asset unless we end up with the 1st pick and select Wemby.  He will be here for a while.  Christopher couldnt be out since Silas do not want to play him.  KJ to me should be here for a while too.  I personally would trade Tate.  He has no place on the team IMO since Martin and Eason has more upside.

3. what kind of pick will we have? Are we good enough to finished 5th-8th in the lotto or do we claim another top 4 chance at the top pick? 

I told my best friend at the game tonight.  I am hoping for either the 2nd, 3rd or 7th worst.  7th worst record has moved up in the top 4 every year under the new lottery system.  I doubt we get the worst record 3 years in a row and tbh I wouldnt want it anyway.  The worst record never gets the top pick and i dont want the Rockets to be the first team that ends up with the 5th pick having the worst record.  2nd and 3rd worst I can live by.  I wouldnt be mad at the 4th worst record either. 

4. what kind of progress will we see from Green and Smith. Last year Green looked like a bust, not that anyone thought he would be because we all understood his age and youth, but he looked like one early. He stepped it up post all star break. Will him and green do that again?  

Green has been good this season given the circumstances.  I still feel like he could benefit from a true point guard.  He was excellent tonight vs the Bucks.  Smith will struggle this season and he will show flashes of being good as he has in recent games.  He too needs to benefit from a true PG as well.  His defense is already good. 

5. Eric Gordon  we’ve got to get him off the team so we can look at our young guys and really evaluate things. I would love a 1st rounder for the guy, who wouldn’t? What we can’t do is take back bad money. I’m not at all opposed to taking back a guy with guaranteed money next season because any major upgrade we could do would be with a trade and we need an expiring contract. It just can’t be from a guy expecting major minutes  

Should have traded him at the deadline last season.  Would have easily gotten a 1st for him. His value was high at the time.  I doubt we get anything close to that now.  I think we will let him walk when he becomes a FA. 

6. Kevin Porter Jr.  Idk what to make of this guy. He’s on a fairly team friendly deal with loads of protection for us.  I just get a major Russell Westbrook vibe from his playing style and that’s just not conducive to winning in the long term. 

Porter Jr. clearly needs to be a 6th man.  It would serve him and the team well.  He has talent.  I just feel like his chemistry with Sengun isnt there yet and he would be better as the top option off the bench. 

7. Who is the next super star to want out? We have loads of young talent and picks. We can offer up any picks and players outside of Green and Smith and possibly outbid anyone else.  But who could these people be? Maybe Jalen Brown, maybe Luka, maybe Giannis. While those seem unthinkable right now, guys go from cornerstone to demanding a trade quickly in this business  

Doubt any star will want out.  At least any young star.  I wouldnt want to trade our young assets for an older star to try and accelerate the rebuild. 

8. can we be competitive enough to not give OKC a good pick? Will we be bad enough to keep the pick? (Top 4 protected). If we get this pick in 2024 and 2026, then it’s clear Green and Smith were not hits and we are looking at a decade of sucking.  I hope that’s not the case  

Next year the goal should be to compete in the play in.  I doubt we will be top 5 bad again.  We will draft another potential all star next year and we will have a ton of cap space. If we give up a pick in the 12-14 pick range I wouldnt be mad.  We will still have the Nets first anyway.