Official Houston Rockets Thread: Phase 2 on hold

Pastor Dillon

On 10/12/2023 at 9:29 PM, beekay414 said:

Coming to Houston for the Bucks-Rockets game on January 6th. We'll be there from Friday night through Monday morning. Any recommendations on food and bars? Pretty sure we're staying on the south side of Houston near the Museum district and zoo. 

sounds like you have a wife and kids and you cut a deal with them to get you into a Bucks game......i do it all the time....

Super Important game tonight. I know its opening night, but beating a team like Orlando is a sign of whether we can compete for the 6-10 spot in the west this year. 

Tari is out for a few weeks, which sucks. So my guess is that the rotation will be at 9 guys

FVV/Amen
Green / Bullock or Cam
Brooks / Tate
Smith
Sengun / Landale

Maybe we throw some Jeff Green out there, but maybe not. We could play 11 guys with Bullock and Cam splitting 6-10 minutes. 

Here are some questions I have going into the season:

1. Can Green continue his scoring with better talent around him......Can he average 25 a game?

2. Can Jabari take the next step and average close to 20-10 on the season?

3. Can newcomers FVV and Brooks shoot 35% or better from 3?

4. Can Sengun stay on the court defensively this season?

5. How many minutes will Amen and Cam get as rookies, and can they make an impact on games off the bench?

I really want to see our two young guys in Green and Smith be 1 and 2 in scoring. Dillon Brooks needs to learn he is a role player thats gonna average 12 a game and needs to be fairly efficient with it while playing at an all nba defensive level. 

FVV needs to be in the 16/8 range while providing leadership and experience. He needs to be hardnosed on D and know when to step in on offense and help the younger guys out. He needs to realize we gave him that money because we needed veteran leadership and had to spend the money anyway, not because we think he can be a 30 point per game all star best player on the team. 

Our 3 point shooting will be the sign of how the season goes. I dont expect us to shoot as much as we did in the MDA era, but we have, on paper, one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the league.....look at last years numbers for our guys:

FVV - 34.2
Green - 33.8
Brooks - 32.6
Smith - 30.7
Sengun - 33.3

Eason - 34.3
Tate - 28.3
Bullock - 38.0
Landale - 25.0
Green - 28.8

Plus Amen, and his biggest knock and the reason he wasnt the number 2 pick in the draft, was his poor 3 point shooting. 

So we have amassed a team of guys who struggled from 3 last year, and the hope is that Green and Smith are both much better shooters than they showed. FVV is a career 37% guy, and if he hits that, its gonna be a great year. Sengun just needs to hit enough to keep defenses honest. We need Brooks to be around 34-35% as well. 

11 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We are bad. Like real bad. 

We might be bad but its only 1 game.  I wasnt surprised the Magic beat us.  They really came strong at the end of last season.  It will take time for the team to adjust to Udoka.  The Celtics did the same thing when he was their HC.  Give it time.  

4 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

We might be bad but its only 1 game.  I wasnt surprised the Magic beat us.  They really came strong at the end of last season.  It will take time for the team to adjust to Udoka.  The Celtics did the same thing when he was their HC.  Give it time.  

I’m afraid what happened in Boston is that he quit coaching and just let his studs be studs.  He’s a very small sample size, inherited a great roster. 

I agree a loss to the magic isn’t season ending, but we didn’t even show flashes of a competitive team. It wasn’t like the offense was rolling and we were just missing shots and it wasn’t like the D was solid and they were making tough shots. We lost by 30 to a team that went 9 of 34 from 3 

18 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Whitmore needs to play and Bullock benched.

If we cant beat the Hornets Wednesday we might be looking at an 0-12 start possibly. 

we could legit be 5-15 or worse at the quarter mark. I had real concerns that Udoka couldn't coach, and that he inherited a winning culture with stud players and he nearly tanked them his first season before he just allowed them to play ball and they went to the finals. 

Its just 3 games into his tenure, but we have looked really badly. In this situation he inherited a losing culture with no stud players. Its early, he can turn it around, but the whole "The losing stops now" mantra we have had all off season is in danger of falling by the wayside if we dont start winning games soon. 

We need to be close to .500 at the 20 game mark. 

looking at the fist 20 and we play the Hornets, Spurs, Pelicans, and 3 games against the Grizzlies who are struggling.....the rest are against teams who legit should be top 4 in their conference. 
We have 3x Nuggets, 3x Lakers, 2x Kings, we go to Golden State....its brutal. We needed to be 2-1 at this point to have a chance of sniffing .500 after 20 games, and we are 0-3

Tonight should be our first W of the season. If we lose this one, man it could get really bad for us.

Assuming we win 25-30 games this year, I wonder if any major changes will be made. Green so far as not taken the next step and Jabari looks as bad or worse than he did last year. 

Whats interesting is we literally have 2 different sets of young players on the roster.....we have 3 guys that we could have drafted if we had stayed competitive and been a play in team the last 3 years (Sengun, Eason, Whitmore) and we have the 3 guys that tanking led to (Green, Smith, Amen) and honestly I am not sure we would have been that much worse off had we not completely blown stuff up and lost on purpose. 

In an ideal world we could have walked away with Cade, Paolo and Wemby.....in another world we could have went with Mobley, Ivey, and the other Thompson twin. 

Its been interesting to say the least.....the last 3 years have been the worst 3 year stretch in Rockets history. 

If you go by advanced O/D numbers our best players are as follows

1. Sengun
2. Tate
3. Brooks
4. FVV
5. Jabari
6. Jeff Green
7. Landale
8. Amen
8. Green
10. Bullock 
11. Holiday 

Seems to line up with the eye test. Sengun is our best player. Tate has been a solid role player off the bench. Brooks and FVV have done their thing. Jabari is getting better. Everyone else has sucked. 

Whitmore going to the G-League makes no sense to me.  He should be playing, but I guess that's why I'm a fan and not a coach.  

Good that Eason is making his debut tonight.  Should make the bench better.  I'm guessing his minutes tonight will be lower than what it typically will be on a nightly basis.