2019 NFL Draft Prospect Comparisons Thread

Shylo3716

21 minutes ago, Shylo3716 said:

You left off a few guys meaning you agree?

Yes, or haven't seen enough of them to see.

I also didn't come up with my own "perceived better" comparisons, so kudos to you for sharing. I haven't dug enough into these guys to have great comps yet, but I think I've seen enough of those guys---especially the OSU & Miami guys--to consider those comparisons a little rich. I also think Collin Johnson goes in the 1st round next year. He's really talented and is going to time very well. He's a better route runner than ESB was from this past season and he also plays much bigger...and he is much bigger (weight).

9 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yes, or haven't seen enough of them to see.

I also didn't come up with my own "perceived better" comparisons, so kudos to you for sharing. I haven't dug enough into these guys to have great comps yet, but I think I've seen enough of those guys---especially the OSU & Miami guys--to consider those comparisons a little rich. I also think Collin Johnson goes in the 1st round next year. He's really talented and is going to time very well. He's a better route runner than ESB was from this past season and he also plays much bigger...and he is much bigger (weight).

I appreciate you for your feedback. 

39 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Shea Patterson - best case, Baker Mayfield with 2 more inches of height.   Worst-case, Manziel with 2 inches of height.   I'm talking play-style, not the 1.1 pick, that's not happening.

Honestly Patterson reminds me of Colt McCoy everytime a see him play. A bit more athletic but most of the similarities are there.

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Honestly Patterson reminds me of Colt McCoy everytime a see him play. A bit more athletic but most of the similarities are there.

That’s a fair comp.   I’m not sold on Mayfield if I was that would be a bridge too far for Patterson at this stage.  

On 5/2/2018 at 10:27 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

Just a few:

Dexter Lawrence = Shaun Rogers

Nick Bosa = Slightly more athletic Joey Bosa

Ed Oliver = More athletic Ndamakong Suh

Christian Wilkins = Jerome Brown

Jeffery Simmons = Fletcher Cox

Raekwon Davis = Calais Campbell

Only one I really disagree with is Oliver. Suh is 6-4 and was like 310 coming out. And Oliver looks to be coming in around 6-2 290. Suh replied heavily on a overwhelming bill rush move while Oliver relies on a number of moves to get past guards. I would say they are two very different when comparing other things as well. Everyone else I cant really disagree with. But Oliver I think more closely resembles La'Roi Glover from what I remember of him. Oliver is stronger I think. But they are very similar. 

44 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Only one I really disagree with is Oliver. Suh is 6-4 and was like 310 coming out. And Oliver looks to be coming in around 6-2  290. Suh replied heavily on a overwhelming bill rush move while Oliver relies on a number of moves to get past guards. I would say they are two very different when comparing other things as well. Everyone else I cant really disagree with. But Oliver I think more closely resembles La'Roi Glover from what I remember of him. Oliver is stronger I think. But they are very similar. 

Thats fair, I just remembered when Suh played he won with pure power and pure savageness. I watched a lot of Oliver and he can stand to get better technique wise. As far as the size, you are 100% correct, I was just speaking in terms of style of play. The La'Roi Glover is a good comp in terms of size but I think Oliver plays a lot bigger than his size would lead you to believe, plus I don't think Oliver's technique is as polished as Glover's was.

Ed Oliver is an extremely difficult guy to comp for. He moves like a freaking linebacker, but can stack and shed blocks like a 350lb. NT. He's a much smoother athlete, but his tape reminds me a little bit of Tommie Harris when he was at Oklahoma. Oliver is a better player than Harris, but they both had that wild penetrating disruptiveness in their games that just screwed up so many play designs. It's almost comical watching teams try to run zone blocking at Oliver. They never touch him.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Ed Oliver is an extremely difficult guy to comp for. He moves like a freaking linebacker, but can stack and shed blocks like a 350lb. NT. He's a much smoother athlete, but his tape reminds me a little bit of Tommie Harris when he was at Oklahoma. Oliver is a better player than Harris, but they both had that wild penetrating disruptiveness in their games that just screwed up so many play designs. It's almost comical watching teams try to run zone blocking at Oliver. They never touch him.

I have never scouted another Tommie Harris since I started doing this as a hobby in 98. He had the most insane burst I have ever seen. He would be like Taven Bryan having Aaron Donald's burst and nimbleness. 

I agree that Oliver plays at such an elite level it's difficult to find a comparison because not many even at the pro level show his type of ability. But I'm standing by my Glover comparison until I find a more similar match. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived