Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Ok, but that doesn't mean you have to take on so many extra guys to accomplish that. You have 3 starters and you have 5 more guys in camp including your Day 3 rookies and a couple UDFA's or journeymen; someone gets hurt and you find another camp body.

So if the offense runs 4 or 5 wide you're getting pretty thin by the time the 3rd team offense gets on the field. 

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Yeah and since 2011 Rodgers has... 

Thrown for :

181 TDs,

40 INTs

21,132 Yards 

103.2 Passer rating

Rushed for 

1,487 yards

9 TDs

And that dosen't even count playoffs, which they have made every year up until last season.

You got it right, the NFL has absolutely bamboozled Rodgers and the Packers offense since 2011. Give me a break.

Man that 4.5 TD:INT ratio, I wonder what it'd be if the entire league hadn't figured Rodgers out...

Just wanna throw this out there regarding check-downs but 3 of 5 teams with the most RB targets were in the bottom half of the league in offensive efficiency.

Not saying that stat means much as bad offenses throw more check-downs generally but acting like check-downs are the key to efficiency isn't necessarily true. 

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Yeah and since 2011 Rodgers has... 

Thrown for :

181 TDs,

40 INTs

21,132 Yards 

103.2 Passer rating

Rushed for 

1,487 yards

9 TDs

And that dosen't even count playoffs, which they have made every year up until last season.

You got it right, the NFL has absolutely bamboozled Rodgers and the Packers offense since 2011. Give me a break.

You're too obsessed with me to understand the point I'm making.  He could have been BETTER than those numbers.  Do you understand that's what I'm saying?  Are you capable?  Can you comprehend what you read or do you just see an opportunity to post the same gif and pounce?  Get some new material.

Look at the middle of 2015 through the first 7 weeks of 2016.  Check how many times he threw for 300 yards in a game.  Check how many times he took what was given to him instead of extending plays because he has a problem with check downs.

8 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

Man that 4.5 TD:INT ratio, I wonder what it'd be if the entire league hadn't figured Rodgers out...

Yep, that's it.  All that matters.  TD:INT.  That's all Rodgers cares about.  Good thing it didn't effect us in 2015 when he had 6.7 yards per attempt.  Or 7.3 in 2016.  Or 7.0 last year.  

Sorry I want him above 7.5 yards per attempt.  Sorry I think checkdowns will help that.  

Jesus, you people.  It's an issue.  If it wasn't, he'd be even better.  I point that out and I'm a jackass.  You all get so ******* obnoxious at times.  Acting like it's a bad thing to want Rodgers o improve on his faults.  Acting like I'm blaspheming by saying he has faults.  He does.  He has faults.  Get the **** over it.

5 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Just wanna throw this out there regarding check-downs but 3 of 5 teams with the most RB targets were in the bottom half of the league in offensive efficiency.

Not saying that stat means much as bad offenses throw more check-downs generally but acting like check-downs are the key to efficiency isn't necessarily true. 

Yeah, I'm sure that's true. But we aren't asking to be top in RB targets, just not way at the bottom. (Were we way at the bottom? IDK how to find such a stat)

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Yeah, I'm sure that's true. But we aren't asking to be top in RB targets, just not way at the bottom. (Were we way at the bottom? IDK how to find such a stat)

We were at the bottom of playoff teams.  We ranked between 16th and 20th I believe over the past 6 ish years.  I looked it up.  Conspiracies.  Just conspiracies when it comes from me

16 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yep, that's it.  All that matters.  TD:INT.  That's all Rodgers cares about.  Good thing it didn't effect us in 2015 when he had 6.7 yards per attempt.  Or 7.3 in 2016.  Or 7.0 last year.  

Sorry I want him above 7.5 yards per attempt.  Sorry I think checkdowns will help that.  

Jesus, you people.  It's an issue.  If it wasn't, he'd be even better.  I point that out and I'm a jackass.  You all get so ******* obnoxious at times.  Acting like it's a bad thing to want Rodgers o improve on his faults.  Acting like I'm blaspheming by saying he has faults.  He does.  He has faults.  Get the **** over it.

That's all well and good. I agree he needs to take the easy throw more often, that includes check downs. 

I disagree with your entire notion of the league having figured him out and him never adapting. That is just a horribly bad take. 

3 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

That's all well and good. I agree he needs to take the easy throw more often, that includes check downs. 

I disagree with your entire notion of the league having figured him out and him never adapting. That is just a horribly bad take. 

I never effing said that!  I said teams play us exactly the same way because of that fault of his.  They figured out how to play him does not mean the same thing as they figured him out.

26 minutes ago, Norm said:

24th last year

@Outpost31 is wrong regarding playoff teams too.

In fact the super bowl winning Philadelphia Eagles were 29th last year in RB targets.

The point is there is more then one way to stress a defense. If you think philosophically that check-downs are the best approach then great. No argument from me.

But the stats do not bear out that it is the better way or the most efficient. 

30 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You're too obsessed with me to understand the point I'm making.  He could have been BETTER than those numbers.  Do you understand that's what I'm saying?  Are you capable?  Can you comprehend what you read or do you just see an opportunity to post the same gif and pounce?  Get some new material.

Look at the middle of 2015 through the first 7 weeks of 2016.  Check how many times he threw for 300 yards in a game.  Check how many times he took what was given to him instead of extending plays because he has a problem with check downs.

It's the fact that you're again using an opinion as a fact that gets everyone annoyed. What proof do you have that the offense would get better with him checking it down? The number he's put up is the best of all time as far as efficiency, TD/INT and QBR and you're suggesting that it's the wrong way and it infuriates you if others think you just have this bias against Rodgers (which you seemingly do).

Would are offense be better with checkdowns in my opinion? I have no freaking clue, and that's the only correct answer. It might extend a drive that we wouldn't normally get a 1st down on and get us points. Or it may get us 7 yards on a play that scrambling Rodgers was going to hit an open Davante Adams for a 60 yard TD on, and then on 2nd and 3 the RB fumbles and we end up with nothing.

Long story short, Rodgers is the GOAT, our offense is really good, no one has a for sure answer as to what passing on extending plays for checkdowns would really do for the O, stop using your opinion as it were a fact.

5 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

24th last year

@Outpost31 is wrong regarding playoff teams too.

In fact the super bowl winning Philadelphia Eagles were 29th last year in RB targets.

The point is there is more then one way to stress a defense. If you think philosophically that check-downs are the best approach then great. No argument from me.

But the stats do not bear out that it is the better way or the most efficient. 

I'm not as extreme (I don't think, as him) but I do wish to see it more. There's yardage left on the field it feels like sometimes. Yes, sometimes Rodgers finds a big one deep after passing on that, but at the same time, if teams don't feel there's a reason to respect it, can't that help the coverage deep?

1 minute ago, Norm said:

I'm not as extreme (I don't think, as him) but I do wish to see it more. There's yardage left on the field it feels like sometimes. Yes, sometimes Rodgers finds a big one deep after passing on that, but at the same time, if teams don't feel there's a reason to respect it, can't that help the coverage deep?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing just adding context. Play to play, I get the concern. 

But Mac's philosophy and by extension Aaron's has always been big plays over everything. There is no wrong answer when it comes to preferring one way over another.

I'm just rebutting the notion that check-downs = better offense. 

Man I remember that 2014 patriots game was a piece of mastery by McCarthy. Possibly the best game of his career scheme-wise. I really hoped it was going to open up a new era for him of using receiving threats out of the backfield, then nothing really came of it. Eddie Lazy was a screen monster that year and then thE screen game was still frustratingly absent in 2015 and 2016. I don’t really care to weigh in on checkdowns in particular, but I think most would agree that this offense has been pretty uncreative about integrating the backfield into the passing game and I think opening that up has a lot of potential to help out with some of the dituations this offense has legit struggled with over the years. 

@SpeightTheVillain, how different would those numbers be for the Eagles if they didn't have those receivers and tight ends?  

If players are getting open, I don't care who catches the ball.  The last three years players haven't been getting open deep enough for Rodgers.  

I don't care WHO gets check downs as long as SOMEBODY does.  I think running backs could help Rodgers.  He doesn't.  

Archived