Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Man I remember that 2014 patriots game was a piece of mastery by McCarthy. Possibly the best game of his career scheme-wise. I really hoped it was going to open up a new era for him of using receiving threats out of the backfield, then nothing really came of it. Eddie Lazy was a screen monster that year and then thE screen game was still frustratingly absent in 2015 and 2016. I don’t really care to weigh in on checkdowns in particular, but I think most would agree that this offense has been pretty uncreative about integrating the backfield into the passing game and I think opening that up has a lot of potential to help out with some of the dituations this offense has legit struggled with over the years. 

And I think a lot of the fault is on Rodgers.  McCarthy doesn't go into each Sunday saying we ain't gonna put running backs into the passing game.  

I really wish I could find that quote from Rodgers.

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

@SpeightTheVillain, how different would those numbers be for the Eagles if they didn't have those receivers and tight ends?  

If players are getting open, I don't care who catches the ball.  The last three years players haven't been getting open deep enough for Rodgers.  

I don't care WHO gets check downs as long as SOMEBODY does.  I think running backs could help Rodgers.  He doesn't.  

Davante Adams - 75 catches, 61.48 completion %, 11 TDs

Randall Cobb - 69 catches, 71.13 completion %, 5 TDs

Alshon Jeffery - 59 catches, 46.83 completion %, 9 TDs

Nelson Agholor - 63 catches, 65.63 completion %, 9 TDs

Not seeing much difference as far as getting open is concerned. 

10 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

We get it, he doesn’t like Rodgers. Why is it in the TC thread??? Don’t get why people are feeding into it either.

Saying he doesn't like Rodgers is feeding into it lol. That's not his point.

This is what riles him up

31 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/07/31/packers-slimmed-down-chris-odom-good-fit-defense/874414002/

Odom contributing would be a welcomed development. Prob the OLB I see talked about the least

If Odom lost 20 pounds no way he was 270 last year. More like 280-285. He's a big boy out there. He was standing right in front of me Saturday. They list Perry at 265 and he's about the same size. I didn't get to see DL/OL 1v1's just DB/WR. He was a monster for ATL last preseason though, definitely has some juice.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

If Odom lost 20 pounds now way he was 270 last year. More like 280-285. He's a big boy out there. He was standing right in front of me Saturday. They list Perry at 265 and he's about the same size. I didn't get to see DL/OL 1v1's just DB/WR. He was a monster for ATL last preseason though, definitely has some juice.

Confusing when his pro day had him 262 though. So I'm just gonna say, he probably never actually lost 20 pounds if you think he's at 265 lol. Unless he gained 20 from pro day to in season and dropped it all again?

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Confusing when his pro day had him 262 though. So I'm just gonna say, he probably never actually lost 20 pounds if you think he's at 265 lol. Unless he gained 20 from pro day to in season and dropped it all again?

I don't know, I can just tell you he's way thicker than Biegel and Fackrell and about the same size as Perry and Reggie Gilbert. Maybe he cut 20 pounds this winter and added some lean muscle back after that. Regardless, guy looked impressive. Lighter or not the weight on him looks good.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

And I think a lot of the fault is on Rodgers.  McCarthy doesn't go into each Sunday saying we ain't gonna put running backs into the passing game.  

I really wish I could find that quote from Rodgers

do you think that sentiment might be different if he had Saquon Barkley or David Johnson in the backfield?  I do.  I'm sure that he would love for his RB to be a receiving weapon if they they had chemistry and he could be a viable option, but his RBs have just been RBs.  

5 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

do you think that sentiment might be different if he had Saquon Barkley or David Johnson in the backfield?  I do.  I'm sure that he would love for his RB to be a receiving weapon if they they had chemistry and he could be a viable option, but his RBs have just been RBs.  

Ty Montgomery? His first two games at RB he had double digit catches. Then we forgot he could do that every game after, essentially.

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

Ty Montgomery? His first two games at RB he had double digit catches. Then we forgot he could do that every game after, essentially.

Ty isn't really a natural receiver, at least not like the guys who I mentioned.  I do remember that Chicago game, which seemed like they were trying to get back to the roots of the quick-hitting West Coast offense.  Season high in attempts for Rodgers , season low in yards per attempt.

I trust that Rodgers knows what is best for this offense.  I think the main issue is that there is nobody to stretch the field.  CBs can park beneath our WRs' chinstraps all day, and safeties don't have to play deep, so a RB underneath isn't exactly an asset, unless they have advanced receiving skills.  

5 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Ty isn't really a natural receiver, at least not like the guys who I mentioned.  I do remember that Chicago game, which seemed like they were trying to get back to the roots of the quick-hitting West Coast offense.  Season high in attempts for Rodgers , season low in yards per attempt.

I trust that Rodgers knows what is best for this offense.  I think the main issue is that there is nobody to stretch the field.  CBs can park beneath our WRs' chinstraps all day, and safeties don't have to play deep, so a RB underneath isn't exactly an asset, unless they have advanced receiving skills.  

I mean, just because he can't catch the ball like David Johnson doesn't mean you should let him get 20 catches in his first two games then go, nah, let's avoid that for now. He's a more than capable receiver out of the backfield. I'm not really sure that's how teams play us, regardless of our lack of a depth threat. They know Rodgers is going to try and extend and find guys deep, even after the routes are finished. They aren't exactly sitting on the LOS waiting for backs to catch passes, why would they? We never do it...

That being said, yes more dynamic long speed is much needed.

14 minutes ago, Norm said:

I mean, just because he can't catch the ball like David Johnson doesn't mean you should let him get 20 catches in his first two games then go, nah, let's avoid that for now. He's a more than capable receiver out of the backfield. I'm not really sure that's how teams play us, regardless of our lack of a depth threat. They know Rodgers is going to try and extend and find guys deep, even after the routes are finished. They aren't exactly sitting on the LOS waiting for backs to catch passes, why would they? We never do it...

That being said, yes more dynamic long speed is much needed.

It was just a way of expressing that the WR group lacks speed.  There is no reason for them to stray from man to man coverage, because Rodgers will year them apart if they focus too much attention on a certain player, and it's not like his routine throws against that defense are easy.

I would have loved Ridley in round 1.  He is everything this offense is missing, and he's ready to play now.  We just sank money into a FA CB, as well as a round 2 pick.  Maybe they didn't know that Jackson would be available in R2, but surely they knew that the position was garbage and they had to take some extremes in order to fill it.

Archived