Jamaal Williams/Aaron Jones

Deekster37

4 hours ago, Jaegybomb said:
8 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I think Williams is pretty meh.  Below average NFL runner.

I think he's a luxury as a 3rd guy. With the other 2 having someone reliable is huge.

Those two sentences seem to argue against each other Jaegybomb. A 'luxury' and 'having someone reliable is huge', are opposing viewpoints.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think @vegas492  said it best (see below)

As far as the current guys go...

Williams....If there is 2 yards there, he will find yah 3. If there is 10 yards there, he will get yah 4.

Jones...if there is 2 yards there, he'll get yah 0 or 1.  If there is 10 yards there, he'll get yah 13-20.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(I'd have gone with 3.5 over 3, and 6 over 4, but that is nitpicking, you get the idea).

You might think Jamaal Williams, as more of a punisher-type back, would be bigger than Aaron Jones. Well he IS taller and (listed as) heavier, but 213lb on a 6'0" guy, actually makes him a less 'chunky' guy than 208lb on a 5'9" guy (Jones). Whatever their respective sizes, the Packers need both violence and sizzle, so Mongomery/Williams/Jones provide nice variety. 

One big factor in how much each will be used this year, is how their (Williams/Jones) pass-blocking comes along. If either of them can improve that aspect of their play enough, it will pretty much guarantee them seeing more playing time. As a minimum, they need to know enough to get in the way of a free pass rusher, and hold them up for a second without being ploughed under.

Yeah, the pass-blocking is pretty huge.  Williams seemed to have better reputation there.  

Montgomery is the biggest/strongest; with a couple of years of Packers experience you'd think he might have a pass-blocking advantage there; plus being a really smart classroom guy you'd think he might have a good learning aptitude which could help pick up the blocking.  But I thought he really looked clueless and just pretty bad as a blocker.  Perhaps something will click this year, but I thought that seemed a real liability for him.  

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.  **IF** his blocking was no worse than the others, I think Ty might be underestimated in terms of his fraction of the snaps.  

As a runner, Jones seems the most instinctive, quick, and resourceful guy.   HOpefully Jones improves his blocking so that's not held against him,

I'm also curious to see how the pass-catching aspect factors in.  Because Jones is the most shifty of the three, *IF* he could catch reliably, I'd love to see him get used as a catch-and-run guy.  I thought he looked the worst as a pass-catcher, though, in limited opportunities.  **IF** Ty came in healthy, was playing well, and magically became OK as a blocker, he'd seem pretty useful catching passes, although he doesn't look shifty enough to make guys miss or turn a 2-yard throw into a 60-yard TD....  Not sure Rodgers is ever going to throw much to backs, thought; or throw with the touch/softness/air/lead that makes doing so work optimally well anyway.  

5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Those two sentences seem to argue against each other Jaegybomb. A 'luxury' and 'having someone reliable is huge', are opposing viewpoints.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think @vegas492  said it best (see below)

As far as the current guys go...

Williams....If there is 2 yards there, he will find yah 3. If there is 10 yards there, he will get yah 4.

Jones...if there is 2 yards there, he'll get yah 0 or 1.  If there is 10 yards there, he'll get yah 13-20.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(I'd have gone with 3.5 over 3, and 6 over 4, but that is nitpicking, you get the idea).

You might think Jamaal Williams, as more of a punisher-type back, would be bigger than Aaron Jones. Well he IS taller and (listed as) heavier, but 213lb on a 6'0" guy, actually makes him a less 'chunky' guy than 208lb on a 5'9" guy (Jones). Whatever their respective sizes, the Packers need both violence and sizzle, so Mongomery/Williams/Jones provide nice variety. 

One big factor in how much each will be used this year, is how their (Williams/Jones) pass-blocking comes along. If either of them can improve that aspect of their play enough, it will pretty much guarantee them seeing more playing time. As a minimum, they need to know enough to get in the way of a free pass rusher, and hold them up for a second without being ploughed under.

In this NFL, I view running backs as luxury items.  As such, there aren't many bell cow dudes in the league anymore.  And when they are there, that shelf life isn't very long.

I kind of dig the 3 that GB has...separate from each other, I think there are huge flaws in all of their games.  But combined as a committee?  I really like what Monty/Williams/Jones brings to the table.

As you stated, the only thing keeping that grouping back is...pass protection.  One of them steps up in that regard and GB will be just find in the backfield.

I'd argue the QB not dumping that ball off also holds that group back, so fingers crossed that Rodgers takes some checkdowns this year.  

33 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

In this NFL, I view running backs as luxury items.  As such, there aren't many bell cow dudes in the league anymore.  And when they are there, that shelf life isn't very long.

I kind of dig the 3 that GB has...separate from each other, I think there are huge flaws in all of their games.  But combined as a committee?  I really like what Monty/Williams/Jones brings to the table.

As you stated, the only thing keeping that grouping back is...pass protection.  One of them steps up in that regard and GB will be just find in the backfield.

I'd argue the QB not dumping that ball off also holds that group back, so fingers crossed that Rodgers takes some checkdowns this year.  

I disagree that the RB position in today's NFL is just a luxury. A good, dynamic RB changes your offense, he changes the way a defense has to prepare for your offense, he changes the way the opposing team calls their defense on game day. Teams will always prepare to stop Aaron Rodgers first as long as he is around, but a back like Aaron Jones has the potential to not only change our offense but change the way defenses defend us, even just a little bit. That's why I think Jones is special. Williams will never have that effect on a opposing defense, neither will Monty. Teams will never prepare or gameplan to stop those guys. I think Jones is different. IMO, he has the potential to be the best RB (BY FAR) Rodgers has ever had. 

@packfanfb and I are really hive mind today. I was a receiver back in the day and loved it when we got favorable match-ups on the outside because I could feast all day, but you still have to be able to run the ball effectively whether it's a big dose of Zeke or New England's RB-by-committee.

9 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I didn't mean it in a bad way. An embarrassment of riches? I don't think most teams have 3 guys this good. Plus he fills in well where the other 2 fall a little short.

I think that Williams could improve this year.  His vision is good, as you could tell by the way that he set up that screen TD against Pittsburgh.  He's just a fairly normal athlete, and probably just needs the game to slow down for him.  In college, not only was he physical, but very good at making subtle movements to make defenders miss and create additional yardage, though he's not a home-run hitter like Jones.

Montgomery sucks at RB, IMO.  He had one excellent game, and he's been about as effective as Williams was last year ever since.  He needs big space, not little space.  

Jones feels like a perfect fit for this offense.  When was the last time that we had an explosive playmaker?  Jordy got down the field, but Jones can get yards that I haven't seen from a player on this team in a while.  If he's not getting most of the touches, he needs to be a noticeable part of this offense.

22 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I disagree that the RB position in today's NFL is just a luxury. A good, dynamic RB changes your offense, he changes the way a defense has to prepare for your offense, he changes the way the opposing team calls their defense on game day. Teams will always prepare to stop Aaron Rodgers first as long as he is around, but a back like Aaron Jones has the potential to not only change our offense but change the way defenses defend us, even just a little bit. That's why I think Jones is special. Williams will never have that effect on a opposing defense, neither will Monty. Teams will never prepare or gameplan to stop those guys. I think Jones is different. IMO, he has the potential to be the best RB (BY FAR) Rodgers has ever had. 

I should have been more specific.  Bell cow, first round backs, are luxuries.  As in luxury picks.  As in you can do fine with later drafted guys.  I dig what GB has done with their committee approach.  And...it makes a tweaked ankle easier to overcome.  For as much as I loved Zeke coming out, and Barkley this year, that's a lot to invest in...and lose with a rolled ankle.  Risk and reward.  GB didn't risk much, but they got great reward (IMHO) at the RB position.

Archived