Dorsey shakes up the front office

brooks1957

26 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Maybe not so much style but rather strengths and weaknesses of our roster. 

generally i believe in BPA irregardless of scheme, with the exception of OL and Dl for specific details. 

So the hard part - in any sport - of projecting a team like this is that there has been so much change. The group of receivers is entirely different than last year, the whole secondary is different, the QB room is different, no more Crowell, etc. 

The Browns - rightfully, in my opinion - want their secondary to hold the opposing receivers long enough for the defense to pressure the QB. This is why they got guys like Gaines and Carrie, and why they drafted Ward. These guys will never be the same style corner as a Lattimore, but they can be effective in their own way. Gaines and Ward, to me, could be the two best corners in the NFL at this if they play enough together.

Additionally - and this is the argument for Chubb over Ward - there is truth to the claim that you can never have enough pass rushers. The Eagles and Patriots were both able to have a legitimate pass rush every down. I preferred Ward, but I saw the opposing argument. Frankly, it is why I think they drafted Chad Thomas and Avery. They're different types of pass rushers than Chubb, but they fit the general mold, they go for the QB.

1 hour ago, jking948 said:

So the hard part - in any sport - of projecting a team like this is that there has been so much change. The group of receivers is entirely different than last year, the whole secondary is different, the QB room is different, no more Crowell, etc. 

The Browns - rightfully, in my opinion - want their secondary to hold the opposing receivers long enough for the defense to pressure the QB. This is why they got guys like Gaines and Carrie, and why they drafted Ward. These guys will never be the same style corner as a Lattimore, but they can be effective in their own way. Gaines and Ward, to me, could be the two best corners in the NFL at this if they play enough together.

Additionally - and this is the argument for Chubb over Ward - there is truth to the claim that you can never have enough pass rushers. The Eagles and Patriots were both able to have a legitimate pass rush every down. I preferred Ward, but I saw the opposing argument. Frankly, it is why I think they drafted Chad Thomas and Avery. They're different types of pass rushers than Chubb, but they fit the general mold, they go for the QB.

I love aging situational  pass rushers. Guys like Freeney, Long, abraham, Peppers   and others don't have to preform at their peak to be effective into their 30's. While CB's and Safetys often fall off a cliff in their 20's and need to be good the whole time otherwise they are easily picked on. 

NE and Philli have these guys on their roster who contribute meaningful snaps. 

You are correct if this team jells then we could go to the playoffs, while if we are fragmented and ill disciplined then we could be a  win team. Taylor, Baker, Hyde, kirksey, Bitonio, and Landry seem like legit leaders/players and most of our 1st round guys seem like good folk who will play hard and well. This team is hard to project. 

Hues strength as a coach in 2016-2017 has been getting bad teams to play hard, if we can play hard on offense and defense with improved talent and schemes from 2017 then we could be a very good football team week in and out. 

40 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I love aging situational  pass rushers. Guys like Freeney, Long, abraham, Peppers   and others don't have to preform at their peak to be effective into their 30's. While CB's and Safetys often fall off a cliff in their 20's and need to be good the whole time otherwise they are easily picked on. 

NE and Philli have these guys on their roster who contribute meaningful snaps. 

You are correct if this team jells then we could go to the playoffs, while if we are fragmented and ill disciplined then we could be a  win team. Taylor, Baker, Hyde, kirksey, Bitonio, and Landry seem like legit leaders/players and most of our 1st round guys seem like good folk who will play hard and well. This team is hard to project. 

Hues strength as a coach in 2016-2017 has been getting bad teams to play hard, if we can play hard on offense and defense with improved talent and schemes from 2017 then we could be a very good football team week in and out. 

Do you read Pro Football Focus at all? I do not always love them, but, they have had a few great reads on the Chargers' defense. I think our defense this year should (not just "can") be as good. Two great pass rushers, a bunch of good pass rushers, and a secondary that gives those pass rushers time to get to the quarterback.

I really do not know about the offense. The line scares me a bit, I am not sure how good Tyrod can continue to be (he is on a very slow downward trend the past few years), and the receivers are variable. My most realistic hope is we could have an offense ranked somewhere between 16th-18th.

Still, I think we can have a top-12 defense, and maybe even better depending on how quickly they gel, how good Ward can be right away, and how long our offense can stay on the field. So I am very excited to watch the team this season.

15 minutes ago, jking948 said:

Do you read Pro Football Focus at all? I do not always love them, but, they have had a few great reads on the Chargers' defense. I think our defense this year should (not just "can") be as good. Two great pass rushers, a bunch of good pass rushers, and a secondary that gives those pass rushers time to get to the quarterback.

I really do not know about the offense. The line scares me a bit, I am not sure how good Tyrod can continue to be (he is on a very slow downward trend the past few years), and the receivers are variable. My most realistic hope is we could have an offense ranked somewhere between 16th-18th.

Still, I think we can have a top-12 defense, and maybe even better depending on how quickly they gel, how good Ward can be right away, and how long our offense can stay on the field. So I am very excited to watch the team this season.

It is hip on FF to say that you don't like PFF. I like the site myself. I haven't read about the chargers defense though I understand Bosa and Ingram are good outside guys. I don't know about their internal pass rush pressure.

Garrett should be excellent next year, Ogbah, decent and Larry and Caleb should be good also. Kirksey, Scho, Collins and JBJ are also good blitzers. 

If we run the RPO's, playaction, and read option and receivers are good then we should have a top 12 offense. Their are variables however. 

the reality is we do not know what will happen, with good fortune we can be a very good team. 

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

It is hip on FF to say that you don't like PFF. I like the site myself. I haven't read about the chargers defense though I understand Bosa and Ingram are good outside guys. I don't know about their internal pass rush pressure.

Garrett should be excellent next year, Ogbah, decent and Larry and Caleb should be good also. Kirksey, Scho, Collins and JBJ are also good blitzers. 

If we run the RPO's, playaction, and read option and receivers are good then we should have a top 12 offense. Their are variables however. 

the reality is we do not know what will happen, with good fortune we can be a very good team. 

We can mixin some rpo.  Taylor is certainly good enough and we should have the backs and WRs for it.  However, Taylor should be good enough that we don’t need to be that gimicky to have a good offense.  Also not sure how fond of it Haley is.

1 hour ago, DizzyDean said:

We can mixin some rpo.  Taylor is certainly good enough and we should have the backs and WRs for it.  However, Taylor should be good enough that we don’t need to be that gimicky to have a good offense.  Also not sure how fond of it Haley is.

read option is here to stay imo. 

you can play it without exposing your QB if you are good at it. 

On 5/24/2018 at 2:36 PM, sdrawkcab321 said:

About time. Opera has been here way too long without any success. Time for a change. 

Also they announced that Scot McCloughan is done consulting the team and is back to advising other teams. Which sucks I was hoping he’d take a job here. 

No link to this, nor do I claim to know how much truth there is to this..............

I was recently on the way home in the car with 92.3 The Fan on. The host claimed that the reason Scot McG was not hired full time here is that he was still under a buyout from the Redskins. If he were to take a full time job from another NFL team - it would void the remainder of the money owed to him by the Redskins. But it is fully legit for him to be a "consultant". I don't know how much money we are talking about here - but maybe Scot wants to make sure he sticks it to Dan Snyder in full force.

3 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

No link to this, nor do I claim to know how much truth there is to this..............

I was recently on the way home in the car with 92.3 The Fan on. The host claimed that the reason Scot McG was not hired full time here is that he was still under a buyout from the Redskins. If he were to take a full time job from another NFL team - it would void the remainder of the money owed to him by the Redskins. But it is fully legit for him to be a "consultant". I don't know how much money we are talking about here - but maybe Scot wants to make sure he sticks it to Dan Snyder in full force.

I read something similar shortly after he began working with us.

1 hour ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

It's not like the Redskins are oozing solid draft picks or anything so I'm a little confused why everyone seems to want him so much. Is there something I'm missing with McG?

He wasnt there long.

Most of what he’s known for happened in Seattle and San Fran.

7 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

I read something similar shortly after he began working with us.

He gets to do what he enjoys and loves, scouting and watching football but with no worries or back lash. Kinda living a dream lol

30 minutes ago, buno67 said:

He gets to do what he enjoys and loves, scouting and watching football but with no worries or back lash. Kinda living a dream lol

Yeah if you’re getting paid already I’d much rather work from my home and on my schedule than the daily grind the NFL likely requires.

Archived