Tennis Thread

DoleINGout

On 8/3/2024 at 12:39 AM, agarcia34 said:

Carlos vs Djokovic for Gold on Sunday.

Hopefully Djokovic is able to play another 3-4 years cause this rivalry that we’re seeing from these two is getting good. 

Hasn’t been a rivalry lately, it’s been Carlos winning lol.

Novak winning today would be special.

I think it comes down to the type of player you’re are. If you’re Carlos and Djokovic or a top 10 player. I think you look at as an equal. If you’re not I think you look at it as a lesser event as we seen tons of players just decided to not play in it and go play in Atlanta in a 250 tournament. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Do you guys think players consider the Olympics on par with Slams? Or a little lesser?

On par. At this point I think Novak has the Olympics higher than any slam. Winning Gold is the only thing he hasn’t done. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

On par. At this point I think Novak has the Olympics higher than any slam. Winning Gold is the only thing he hasn’t done. 

It'd be wild if neither Federer nor Djokovic end up winning a singles Gold medal. I think you're right, though. Gold had been his #1 goal this year.

36 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I think it comes down to the type of player you’re are. If you’re Carlos and Djokovic or a top 10 player. I think you look at as an equal. If you’re not I think you look at it as a lesser event as we seen tons of players just decided to not play in it and go play in Atlanta in a 250 tournament. 

That's what threw me a little. I wonder how much of that was people not wanting to switch back to clay vs. not taking it as seriously.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

It'd be wild if neither Federer nor Djokovic end up winning a singles Gold medal. I think you're right, though. Gold had been his #1 goal this year.

That's what threw me a little. I wonder how much of that was people not wanting to switch back to clay vs. not taking it as seriously.

That’s a great point. I didn’t think of that. Especially going from grass to clay then back to hard courts for the North America swing. 

3 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Career golden slam complete!

Imagine having to lie to yourself and say this dude is not the 🐐 

Simply incredible performance 

Seriously. He's far from my favorite player off the court, but the guy is untouchable. The only argument you can make for anyone else is the multi-year dominant run Federer had that Djokovic didn't, but Djokovic just overwhelms him in every other part of the argument.