Which current long-term (5+ years) head coach will get fired first?

iknowcool

Head Coaches  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who will get fired first?

• Bill Belichick (2000)
    • Marvin Lewis (2003)
    • Mike McCarthy (2006)
    • Sean Payton (2006)
    • Mike Tomlin (2007)
    • John Harbaugh (2008)
    • Jason Garrett (2010)
    • Pete Carroll (2010)
    • Ron Rivera (2011)
    • Andy Reid (2013)

14 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Why would the expectations be that strict with a first year starter at QB?

I feel like this is also really at odds with the fact that you say this about Ron Rivera:

Which would perfectly describe Reid as well. Consistently getting KC into the playoffs and the players love him.

Rivera has the benefit of a recent Super Bowl appearance whereas Reid has had some pretty bad chokes.

6 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

Lol Marvin Lewis will have that job as long as he wants it.

Could see Pete Carroll's antics wear the org thin after a few more uninspiring seasons. Hiring Brian Schottenheimer is the beginning of the end.

I still can't believe Seattle chose to hire Schotty when Greg Roman is out here as a run game coordinator and Flipp was still available. What a god awful hire.

People saying John Harbaugh are wrong.

The front office (which is NOT a new front office) and ownership are committed for the very long term to Harbaugh. They love him. The Ravens allow a lot of access to PSL owners and this sentiment is clear***.

The media doesn't have anything much to talk about with how this team keeps continuity so they have to reach for these headlines by really stretching quotes. The owner basically said that he considered firing Harbaugh in the sense that he considers everything, but that he knows it would be a terrible idea. They all leave out the second half of the quote. Also, Ozzie, who has talked about retiring/stepping down for years had his contract expires and signed on for a less prominent and strenuous position. The guy who we've had sharing GM responsibilities takes the top job like they've planned forever. Somehow this is interpreted to be a message that there is no patience for the playoff drought.

*** The REAL insider buzz (from multiple sauces) is that Steve Bisciotti is even more behind Harbaugh than DeCosta, who is also viewed as the Golden Child. The key moment was the Ray Rice incident where Harbaugh went to Steve right away (first video) and said that Rice should be cut. The FO overruled him at the time, which Bisciotti obviously regrets now. With Steve generally not interferring, Harbaugh is really the top dog. And he's also really well liked throughout the Org which also makes him tougher to let go than an antagonizer type.

53 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

People saying John Harbaugh are wrong.

The front office (which is NOT a new front office) and ownership are committed for the very long term to Harbaugh. They love him. The Ravens allow a lot of access to PSL owners and this sentiment is clear***.

The media doesn't have anything much to talk about with how this team keeps continuity so they have to reach for these headlines by really stretching quotes. The owner basically said that he considered firing Harbaugh in the sense that he considers everything, but that he knows it would be a terrible idea. They all leave out the second half of the quote. Also, Ozzie, who has talked about retiring/stepping down for years had his contract expires and signed on for a less prominent and strenuous position. The guy who we've had sharing GM responsibilities takes the top job like they've planned forever. Somehow this is interpreted to be a message that there is no patience for the playoff drought.

*** The REAL insider buzz (from multiple sauces) is that Steve Bisciotti is even more behind Harbaugh than DeCosta, who is also viewed as the Golden Child. The key moment was the Ray Rice incident where Harbaugh went to Steve right away (first video) and said that Rice should be cut. The FO overruled him at the time, which Bisciotti obviously regrets now. With Steve generally not interferring, Harbaugh is really the top dog. And he's also really well liked throughout the Org which also makes him tougher to let go than an antagonizer type.

People saying Harbaugh in comparison to Marvin Lewis or maybe some other coaches, sure, but the idea that Harbaugh is so safe in his job that he's basically untouchable is either:

A) Laughable, or 

B) Extremely troubling given his track record the past 5 years.

17 hours ago, ///mcompact said:

You've got the Jason/Jerry relationship nailed down.  As for his contract, fortunately,  it's up after next year (2019) and unless he gets the Cowboys not only in the playoffs but more than "one and done",  Stephen is gonna tell Daddy to pass on extending Garrett again ('He's gots to gooo, papa!').   Jerry loved Romo and Dez, but baby boy Stephen pulled up his "huggies" and said "enuff". No more injuries to blame, no more players to blame and no more coordinators/position coaches to blame. 

Bum should've been fired after the 2013 season..

Was going to ask you how Cowboy fans felt about him. But I guess you answered it.

Give me a score out of 10, for how Garrett rates as a HC?

Because to me, someone who seldom watches Dallas, it seems like all he does is clap and cheerlead. 

17 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

People saying Harbaugh in comparison to Marvin Lewis or maybe some other coaches, sure, but the idea that Harbaugh is so safe in his job that he's basically untouchable is either:

A) Laughable, or 

C) True, and a good thing. You don't get rid of a great coach because of close playoff misses in the short term. Other teams would happily give us draft picks if we wanted to move on (if that's still a thing)

33 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

A) Laughable, or 

Bisciotti even thought about firing Harbaugh after last season: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-harbaugh-under-fire-20180202-story.html

What will likely happen is they'll have someone in-house they like and promote him when Harbaugh's contract expires.

47 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Was going to ask you how Cowboy fans felt about him. But I guess you answered it.

Give me a score out of 10, for how Garrett rates as a HC?

Because to me, someone who seldom watches Dallas, it seems like all he does is clap and cheerlead. 

People like to say that he's only been HC for 7 complete years (came on mid-way through 2010), but he was our hotshot OC that Jerry brought in in 2007 (to be a future HC seeing that he was being paid the same as the HC Wade Phillips).  The offense has pretty much looked the same all of this time, even after Jason's playcalling duties were yanked from him to give to Callahan and then later, Linehan.  His offensive philosophy is embedded like a tick.

He was not qualified for the OC job then (was a QB coach for Miami for 2 years under Saban), but the Garrett family has been entrenched with Jerry for some time. Jason's dad, Jim,  was a scout for the Cowboys since the late 80's, another brother is a scout there now and one other brother was brought in with Jason to be a TE coach, IRRC. 

There was a belief that Jason, while waiting to take over for Phillips, was wedging himself between the Jones' and Phillips and was also sandbagging the playcalling because once Wade was fired, the offense started looking reallygood.  Now, I can't substantiate that as I don't remember anything changing from that stale offense that Garrett brought with him, but there's a slew of Cowboy fans online that regurgitate that history.  I don't doubt Jason throwing Phillips under the bus, though.

Having said all of that, I've just never liked the guy.  He comes off as a disingenuous little worm.  When the team has some disastrous outings, the blame gets shifted away from him and onto some coordinator/coach/player/injuries.  This often results in someone getting the axe/demotion/benched. 

Bottom line: This newest set of position coaches should be his last. He's had enough time, he's had good enough players and he's handpicked every coordinator/coach (two or three times over). If it doesn't work now, it's not going to work. And if it's not going to work, it's because he is the Head Coach.  Stephen has started to have some serious influence with the team the past 5 or so years, as well as Will McClay, and things have started shaking up.  The last thing to shake up is Jason Friggin' Garrett.

P.S. Yes, he mainly claps, but every once in awhile he'll entertain you with a lift of his microphone and spit routine. 

The dude (and his offense) is as predictable and robotic as Zuckerberg.

511cd7c4e4c05.image.jpg

53 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

C) True, and a good thing. You don't get rid of a great coach because of close playoff misses in the short term. Other teams would happily give us draft picks if we wanted to move on (if that's still a thing)

5 years isn't the short term. And nothing about Harbaugh points to him being a "great coach" in the past 5 years. I don't think any other teams would offer draft picks for a .500 coach on a roster that's been stacked with defensive talent since forever. Fact is, Harbaugh is a big reason the team has become irrelevant over the past 5 years. The hiring of several coaches and the way he's managed the roster have all attributed to that.

40 minutes ago, Elky said:

Bisciotti even thought about firing Harbaugh after last season: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-harbaugh-under-fire-20180202-story.html

What will likely happen is they'll have someone in-house they like and promote him when Harbaugh's contract expires.

It was a misleading story. See @wackywabbit's post above. He didn't seriously consider firing him.

44 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

People like to say that he's only been HC for 7 complete years (came on mid-way through 2010), but he was our hotshot OC that Jerry brought in in 2007 (to be a future HC seeing that he was being paid the same as the HC Wade Phillips).  The offense has pretty much looked the same all of this time, even after Jason's playcalling duties were yanked from him to give to Callahan and then later, Linehan.  His offensive philosophy is embedded like a tick.

He was not qualified for the OC job then (was a QB coach for Miami for 2 years under Saban), but the Garrett family has been entrenched with Jerry for some time. Jason's dad, Jim,  was a scout for the Cowboys since the late 80's, another brother is a scout there now and one other brother was brought in with Jason to be a TE coach, IRRC. 

There was a belief that Jason, while waiting to take over for Phillips, was wedging himself between the Jones' and Phillips and was also sandbagging the playcalling because once Wade was fired, the offense started looking reallygood.  Now, I can't substantiate that as I don't remember anything changing from that stale offense that Garrett brought with him, but there's a slew of Cowboy fans online that regurgitate that history.  I don't doubt Jason throwing Phillips under the bus, though.

Having said all of that, I've just never liked the guy.  He comes off as a disingenuous little worm.  When the team has some disastrous outings, the blame gets shifted away from him and onto some coordinator/coach/player/injuries.  This often results in someone getting the axe/demotion/benched. 

Bottom line: This newest set of position coaches should be his last. He's had enough time, he's had good enough players and he's handpicked every coordinator/coach (two or three times over). If it doesn't work now, it's not going to work. And if it's not going to work, it's because he is the Head Coach.  Stephen has started to have some serious influence with the team the past 5 or so years, as well as Will McClay, and things have started shaking up.  The last thing to shake up is Jason Friggin' Garrett.

P.S. Yes, he mainly claps, but every once in awhile he'll entertain you with a lift of his microphone and spit routine. 

The dude (and his offense) is as predictable and robotic as Zuckerberg.

511cd7c4e4c05.image.jpg

Ah, good ol' nepotism again. It reeks. Dallas should be perennial playoffs, perennial thorn in everyone's side.

8 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

I still can't believe Seattle chose to hire Schotty when Greg Roman is out here as a run game coordinator and Flipp was still available. What a god awful hire.

Me neither. His off-season comments have proven he hasn't changed a bit. All this talk about how to be able to run the ball, even when the other team knows it's coming. Idiotic.

11 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

Me neither. His off-season comments have proven he hasn't changed a bit. All this talk about how to be able to run the ball, even when the other team knows it's coming. Idiotic.

Best part is watching Seahawks twitter run in circles trying to justify the hiring as a good thing, or something.

4 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Best part is watching Seahawks twitter run in circles trying to justify the hiring as a good thing, or something.

Everyone knows Schneider and Schottenheimer are close. Anyone that argues there's any other reason he's there is naive.

People saying Marvin Lewis won't be fired are right. However, he is definitely the most deserving of being fired from the list in the poll. in regards to who will go first, probably Belichick, but he won't be fired, he will just retire.

in terms of who will be fired... All of those coaches are pretty secure, however, I think Jason Garrett is probably the most likely to be fired given the team he coaches for and the owner... Even if Jerry supposedly loves him. the way I look at it is, if all of those teams were to miss the playoffs this year, Garrett would probably be the most likely to go.

Archived