Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

What is the hold up with Melo. They really have 1 play. call the kings, offer them Melo and a 2019 1st for one of Shumpert, Temple or Kuofos 

they have no other play. Hawks and Bulls are the only other teams and neither have a 8-10 million salary player that the team would trade away while having the cap space to absorb Melo's deal. 

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

yep.  its a joke.  

we will still end our playoff games with CP3/Harden/Gordon/Tucker/Capela on the court. It hurts our small ball, but if the warriors are going big with Cousins, matching up with that Hampton 5 isnt as big a deal. we will miss Ariza for sure, but Mbah A Moute was so inconsistent this year. Missed 21 games, basically didnt play in the playoffs. A healthy Mbah A moute would have been a game changer, but we had a chance to win a ring without him playing. Plus when you start separating your shoulder, you need surgery to get that fixed right. 

Ariza hurts, but ultimately he wasnt worth the salary and the tax money that he would have cost us. 

I like that we have some young guys like melton, hartinstine and Zhou that are growing and developing. 

Bringing back Green was a good signing, and having MCW as your 4th guard isnt the worst thing out there. I love his defense. I think he was ranked 11th in DPM at PG. He was really terrible on offense. He reminds me of Corey Brewer only with better handles and play making ability. They have about the same shooting ability, and we played him 25 minutes per game in route to a CF birth. 

I am also not as down on melo as most people are. i think he can still score 18 a night and hit 36% from 3 in our system. CP3 is not a super star that has to score all the time, so Melo could actually be our 2nd leading scorer this coming season. I also read a stat that said he ranked 11th in the league in defensive rating when switch onto the primary ball handler, granted only 28 players did that enough to qualify. Our switching system will both hurt and help him. But hey we have won games with Ryan Anderson and Melo isnt quite that bad. 

I would still like us to go out and sign James Ennis. He would make sense for our team. 

CP3/Harden/Melo/Tucker/Capela
MCW/Gordon/Green/Ennis/Nene
Melton/Edwards/Zhou/Hartienstine 

leave a roster spot open. 

Probably not enough to beat the warriors, but we probably still get the 2 seed and have a good chance at another WCF bid, our 3rd in the warriors dynasty.  

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

Kings potentially going after Marcus Smart. If they overpay like they did for Lavine the Celtics wont be able to match. 

surely they wont go 4/80, but i could see a 4/48 type deal that the celtics would be hard pressed to match. 

10 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Kings potentially going after Marcus Smart. If they overpay like they did for Lavine the Celtics wont be able to match. 

As I just noted in the Boston thread. Boston will miss Smart's relentless hustle, but Jabari Bird has been very impressive in the SL. And though he will never be able to replace the energy/defense Smart has, he will be such a better threat as a knock down shooter it will help offset much of what Smart brought to the table.

1 minute ago, resilient part 2 said:

As I just noted in the Boston thread. Boston will miss Smart's relentless hustle, but Jabari Bird has been very impressive in the SL. And though he will never be able to replace the energy/defense Smart has, he will be such a better threat as a knock down shooter it will help offset much of what Smart brought to the table.

You're expecting too much from Bird IMO. Rozier will take most of Smarts minutes. If anything, Bird would take Larkins minutes. 

The only thing more terrifying than a toddler with a hand gun is the Kings with cap space. They'll be offering something ridiculous to Smart. I mean, even when they were good a hundred years ago, they still couldn't attract FA's. Massively overpaying is their only option to potentially get even solid players

13 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

You're expecting too much from Bird IMO. Rozier will take most of Smarts minutes. If anything, Bird would take Larkins minutes. 

Never said Bird would get all the minutes from Smart and Yes Rozier would get more minutes, BUT I think you are short changing Bird a bit. I expect him to get regular rotation minutes where as Larkin sometimes did not even play. Bird is 6'6 and a former McDonald's AA. He hasn't really been given much opportunity last year on a very deep good BB team. But he can really stroke it, has good size and athleticism. Ainge drafted him for a reason. I believe he will be pleasantly surprising everyone this year "IF" Smart isn't retained.

Just remember it was me who said it first, ;)

10 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

The only thing more terrifying than a toddler with a hand gun is the Kings with cap space. They'll be offering something ridiculous to Smart. I mean, even when they were good a hundred years ago, they still couldn't attract FA's. Massively overpaying is their only option to potentially get even solid players

I like Smart with you guys though. He's a good player and culture guy. 

Archived