• Manny Machado
    • J.D. Martinez
    • Jose Ramirez
    • Corey Seager
    • George Springer
    • Giancarlo Stanton
    • Joey Votto

@Starless The thread title is wrong :)

I saw some arguments for Machado at 2 or 3, how is he considered there?  No denying the talent but there's been so many better players over the past 2 or 3 years.  

Since 2015 he's 10th in WAR
Since 2016 he's 17th in WAR
Since 2017 he's 39th in WAR
This year he's 9th in WAR

10 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

@Starless The thread title is wrong :)

I saw some arguments for Machado at 2 or 3, how is he considered there?  No denying the talent but there's been so many better players over the past 2 or 3 years.  

Since 2015 he's 10th in WAR
Since 2016 he's 17th in WAR
Since 2017 he's 39th in WAR
This year he's 9th in WAR

Well he had a huge down year last year, which skews those numbers.  He was a 6+ WAR player at 22 and 23 and it looks like he's taken another step forward this year. 

Who is ahead of Machado since 2015?  Trout, Harper, and Betts are already off the board.  Donaldson is a very good player but in the middle of a multi year downswing.  Altuve is a midget.  Joey Votto and Paul Goldschmidt are both first baseman who had their best season in 2015.  None of those guys except for Trout are more than a few WAR ahead of Machado since 2015 either, its not a huge gap.  If he hadn't had a lost season in 2017 it would be a different story and he'd likely be #3 or #4.

The two guys I can see a very good argument for are Kris Bryant and Francisco Lindor.  They are close but I'll take Machado on personal preference.  I think he can hit like Bryant but do it with better defense, or at short.  And I think he's always going to hit better than Lindor although Lindor obviously has the better glove if they're both at short. 

Just now, Starless said:

incredulous.gif

You clearly haven't been around the baseball forum long.  Go back to the playoff threads and read some of my posts. 

I firmly believe all baseball players should be 6'4" and only try to hit home runs.  Sue me.  But before you do that, legalize steroids please.

Archived