Jump to content
3rivers

Bell contract 2018

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, jebrick said:

The Browns have had a lot of 1st and 2nd round picks.  The key is the right picks.  Constanzo is playing LT and he should be at RT but they have no one to replace him.  I would have thought the Colts would have gone after Hubbard because of the total suck-a-tude they have there.  Their RG is another guy that would be a backup on most other teams.

How many times have you guys watched the Colts play?  I have to watch them a lot.

#1 WR Hilton for #1 WR Brown.  you making that move?  Or are you saying that Hilton is the 3rd best WR on his team?

Nelson for Foster.   That would work

What has has Ebron done in 4 years in the league?  You are just looking at names.  Jack Doyle is the better TE on the Colts.  If you rank Doyle as the #1 TE and James as the #1 TE.

I would take Doyle over McDonald.  Not sure about James.

And Hooker for Davis.  The one everyone would take.

Constanzo is not what I’d call a great starting LT or anything, but is he bad? Not IMO. He performed just fine as a LT. I don’t agree with your opinion of Mewhort either. I’m guessing that’s who you’re talking about when you say “their RG” would be a back up on most teams. Yeah, I don’t agree. Again, not a bad or poor player, doesn’t seem to me that he needs to be replaced.

I thought I was pretty clear that I’d add Hilton to be a starter opposite Brown and then JuJu would be the #3.

I’m looking at TE receiving production and Ebron is a better receiving option than James is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Nelson alone could make this formidable, but lets see how they work as a unit as that is the most important for OL.  Maybe bell goes to the colts next year after they draft another top OL prospect and has a great career. Wait and see, but until the colts OL is consistency and plays well, they are still what I would say not quite the OL that Bell has here with munchak and co. For me OL is first, the RB . The RB can't make the OL, but the OL can help make the RB's career . 

 

Barry Sanders says "Hello". B|

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Barry Sanders says "Hello". B|

I agree. Walter Payton, Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders salute you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 2018-07-25 at 8:39 PM, Chieferific said:

Barry Sanders says "Hello". B|

Barry Sanders was a once in a forever player, so maybe we could just leave him out of this for some reason.  The humour was nice, but as long as you understand what I was getting at :ph34r: I was hoping bell would sit out for 8 weeks and we could run without him since we have  2 quality RB's.

Edited by 3rivers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 3rivers said:

Barry Sanders was a once in a forever player, so maybe we could just leave him out of this for some reason.  The humour was nice, but as long as you understand what I was getting at :ph34r: I was hoping bell would sit out for 8 weeks and we could see how the OL we have is without him and 2 quality RB's.

I understand what you are saying. I just don't completely agree. The formula is simple. Great RBs make OLs better. Great OLs make RBs better. The two go hand in hand. In Bell's case, they have/had the best of both worlds. Also, they cannot throw away Bell's (presumably) last year in an effort to "test" the quality of the OL. Would you suggest the same of Rudolph and Ben if you knew it was Ben's last year? Bell on the field as much as possible gives this team the best chance to win a SB and that is and always will be the goal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I understand what you are saying. I just don't completely agree. The formula is simple. Great RBs make OLs better. Great OLs make RBs better. The two go hand in hand. In Bell's case, they have/had the best of both worlds. Also, they cannot throw away Bell's (presumably) last year in an effort to "test" the quality of the OL. Would you suggest the same of Rudolph and Ben if you knew it was Ben's last year? Bell on the field as much as possible gives this team the best chance to win a SB and that is and always will be the goal. 

Something I'll put out there as interesting to watch with Bell, I think his running style is very dependent on OL play.  I think he wouldn't do all that well behind lines that don't stay with their blocks as long as ours.  I think what plays into his benefit is the OL knowing they have to do that because of Ben anyways.

I would be willing to wager that behind a weaker line, Bell would see a significant drop in production.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I understand what you are saying. I just don't completely agree. The formula is simple. Great RBs make OLs better. Great OLs make RBs better. The two go hand in hand. In Bell's case, they have/had the best of both worlds. Also, they cannot throw away Bell's (presumably) last year in an effort to "test" the quality of the OL. Would you suggest the same of Rudolph and Ben if you knew it was Ben's last year? Bell on the field as much as possible gives this team the best chance to win a SB and that is and always will be the goal. 

QB's are not to be compared to RB's in this way.  They are more important (as lame as that sounds) and if they aren't that good it is obvious. A running game helps them but in the end if they can't throw accurately and read the D , they are toast.  If the OL is good enough, a decent RB should be almost as good.  Barry Foster , then Bam Morris for example :$ .  I doubt Bell shows up  at his lightest and fasted as he did when he used to be in camp such as 2 years ago as well. Last year he was slow, not the same player as the year before . We didn't do much vs the jags until it was too late and that was ben throwing desparation and the jags playing different. I don't remember Bell making the D look bad or our OL look good. 

So I disagree. OL has to play good for RB to make the yards. If our OL is good enough vs the opponent , Other good RB's would get the yards. Bell is versatile though, but on the ground, if the OL is good, I would expect yards with other good RB's.  Are Connor and Sameuls good? I don't know if we will find out but we should if Bell shows up slow as he did last year. Tomlin shouldn't let him play until mid season, and help preserve which Bell shouldn't argue about :o

@warfelg you are seeing this exactly as I do.  It's one of the reasons that I was hoping the schefter week 8 report would have happened because I think healthy connor and samuels can get the yards. Bell isn't Walter Payton, Sanders or Jim Brown.  He needs the good (not great) OL, isn't durable and has drama. Time to move on but wear out the tread now is how some would say.  He should get the $ from other teams now that curly has "reset the market" as some have claimed.

Edited by 3rivers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

QB's are not to be compared to RB's in this way.  They are more important (as lame as that sounds) and if they aren't that good it is obvious. A running game helps them but in the end if they can't throw accurately and read the D , they are toast.  If the OL is good enough, a decent RB should be almost as good.  Barry Foster , then Bam Morris for example :$ .  I doubt Bell shows up  at his lightest and fasted as he did when he used to be in camp such as 2 years ago as well. Last year he was slow, not the same player as the year before . We didn't do much vs the jags until it was too late and that was ben throwing desparation and the jags playing different. I don't remember Bell making the D look bad or our OL look good. 

So I disagree. OL has to play good for RB to make the yards. If our OL is good enough vs the opponent , Other good RB's would get the yards. Bell is versatile though, but on the ground, if the OL is good, I would expect yards with other good RB's.  Are Connor and Sameuls good? I don't know if we will find out but we should if Bell shows up slow as he did last year. Tomlin shouldn't let him play until mid season, and help preserve which Bell shouldn't argue about :o

@warfelg you are seeing this exactly as I do.  It's one of the reasons that I was hoping the schefter week 8 report would have happened because I think healthy connor and samuels can get the yards. Bell isn't Walter Payton, Sanders or Jim Brown.  He needs the good (not great) OL, isn't durable and has drama. Time to move on but wear out the tread now is how some would say.  He should get the $ from other teams now that curly has "reset the market" as some have claimed.

Don't you see you're basically saying that no running back is better then the next? A good RB can be replaced by a garbage one and there will be no difference if the OL is good? I'm sure you'll say that isn't what you mean but it is what you're saying. I cannot understand why one would debate that a good RB makes an OL look better. And why doesn't is apply to Ben? Is that your rule? If your saying bench Bell to see what we have why not bench Ben for the same reason?

*I will concede that @warfelg makes a fair point as it relates to Bell's running style. He demands a good OL perhaps more so then other RBs. 

Edited by Chieferific

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2018 at 8:33 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

There will be a contender or two that has the money to afford him....but if they are smart, they wont pay a RB with alot of wear and tear and maturity issues $16-18mil a year.

As Ive said before....I dont have a major problem with Bell looking for a big payday, nor do I have anything against him for wanting to test the market....but its his attitude that really bothers me.     He seems to think his past (off field issues and injury history) shouldnt be taken into account.    I dont trust him enough to give him a huge contract with alot of guaranteed money, and I think there will be numerous teams that feel the same way.      Maybe he is past the weed stuff, but I just get the feeling that, after he gets paid,  he will start focusing more on his music (which is pretty awful). 

Hey, so I know this might make you re-think your stance, but I completely agree with you! O.o

Seriously, I like Bell...love what he brings to the team, but the way he is acting right now is darn-right 'Diva-ish'. We offered him WAY more than any other RB would conceivably even think about getting...guaranteed money, or not...he was offered a sensational deal; one that is likely better than what AB was offered, comparatively. AB's didn't have much in the way of guaranteed money, but he's still bringing in a nice paycheck every year, because he continues to deliver; Bell likely feels he won't be able to continue to deliver at his current level, and wants the Steelers to pay him anyway??? 

NFL contracts have gotten out of control. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me just say, if Bell does get injured again this season, seriously, his value will almost certainly plummet. Hopefully he stays healthy but honestly he is playing russian roullete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Let me just say, if Bell does get injured again this season, seriously, his value will almost certainly plummet. Hopefully he stays healthy but honestly he is playing russian roullete.

I almost hope that he does get hurt and Jaylen Samuels/James Connor ball out. The 4 yard per rush last year should have dropped his value as is. No matter what, I see him starting off the year slow again with limited time in the new offense and no timing with Ben.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-08-14 at 11:50 AM, skywlker32 said:

I almost hope that he does get hurt and Jaylen Samuels/James Connor ball out. The 4 yard per rush last year should have dropped his value as is. No matter what, I see him starting off the year slow again with limited time in the new offense and no timing with Ben.

I hope he stays healthy and we get far enough ahead in games that connor and samuels get their carries and prove how good they are. Then Bell will get his deal elsewhere and everyone is happy. Maybe the Jets will sign him if they have the cap space . Bell not showing up to camp last year made him slow, but this year he has a new playbook and no reps as of yet. I expect the offence to have issues for the first few weeks as a result when it comes to the running game and Bell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If bells shows up for wk1, what do you expect for his carries per game to be for the first few weeks?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 3rivers said:

If bells shows up for wk1, what do you expect for his carries per game to be for the first few weeks?  

If it were me, i run him 40 times. If he cant handle it, make him the backup for week 2 and start Conner. Thats not how itll go down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wwhickok said:

If it were me, i run him 40 times. If he cant handle it, make him the backup for week 2 and start Conner. Thats not how itll go down

I like your approach to this.  I doubt it will happen, but I do expect Connor to be as good in the running game and possibly better  vs some teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×