World Cup Quarter Final 3 - Sweden vs England (Saturday 7th July)

drd23

England were fantastic. Pickford and Maguire were rocks at the back. Dominated them on set pieces. England have been pretty dominant in all 4 of the real games they have played. They should be feeling confident against any team in the competition.

1 hour ago, kempus said:

England were fantastic. Pickford and Maguire were rocks at the back. Dominated them on set pieces. England have been pretty dominant in all 4 of the real games they have played. They should be feeling confident against any team in the competition.

Other than first two games, they have not really dominated. What works in England’s favour is that you don’t have to be the dominant team to win. This was their best game quite easily but I wasn’t blown away or and I don’t think they  dominated. They were very comfortable.

Sensational from England. Withstood the early Swedish pressure, before going on to mount their own sustained periods of attack.

Dominating display in the air, & stoic defence at the back. Pickford is an absolute stud in goal. Another outstanding performance from him. 

The Three Lions appear to be in some good form, at the right end of the tournament. 

If everyone is fully fit I'd put my house on Southgate naming the same side for the semi final.

I've been really impressed with him, but I can't tell if his unwillingness to change it is due to a belief that eventually the likes of Sterling and Alli are going to turn it on, or if he's afraid if it backfires. I hope it's the former.

24 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Denmark and Russia dealt with them fairly easily. 

Croatia has had a tough time dealing with regrouped, defensive squad for many years. That's why they went out in the Euro 16 and why they finished second to Iceland in qualifying. Denmark and Russia fit that profile.

I think England fits a little bit better their style of play. Obviously, England is also more talented that those squads as well. It's going to be an interesting game for sure, worthy of a WC semifinal.

England hasn't really been tested yet. The best team they faced (excluding Belgium B squad obviously) was probably Colombia, and they were underwhelming. That semi is going to provide us with a lot of answers I believe.

Archived